Print Thread
Hop To
Page 102 of 1,842 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I watched 2 grown women (pam was one of em grin ) jump up into the back of a pickup truck when the ice cracked & shook once out on the lake.....

Like it was a boat or something, oh damn that was funny!!

Here! quick!! jump up into the back of this 5500lb truck! It'll be safe up there!! Haaaaa!!

oh that's just good stuff right there.

grin

Exactly what I mean. grin

Funny.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love cooking on the ice, some beer brauts with or w/o kraut as the mood strikes, chili and cornbread, ice cold beer, mmmmm mmm...

Next best thing is Gaviidae's bacon, onion, and fresh fried fish sammies...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The only thing I have witnessed that beats the flag-dash is one time I helped with security at one of those big ice fishing tourneys. If you have never seen one, they put about 5,000 to 10,000 guys in a small area...holes are pre-drilled about 6-8 feet apart. It is always a shotgun start and the first fish is usually worth a big prize (ATV or something). the first 10 fish actually are worth quite a bit. Could be a 2 oz perch, but if you get there first, you will be happy. So they blow the horn and everyone drops their bait. Immediately, a few people catch a fish and the race is on. A guy by me pulls up a 6-inch perch, and takes off. Now I gotta set the stage a little. When you put 10,000 guys on the ice with a lot of gear and some trucks and snowmobiles and stuff, the ice sags a little and water comes up and pools all over. There was about a foot of snow. So now we literally have about a foot of slush...I am not exaggerating as I had to be extremely careful where I walked or the water would come over the top of my boots.

The guy in question is about 5 foot 8, 280 pounds. he has that Santa Claus shape going and is encased in a Carhart Parka, carhart bibs, and Sorel boots. He grabs the perch and holding it like a torch makes the mad dash for the registration area. After he hits top speed (which really isnt all that fast, considering) he slips and goes head first into the slush, sliding like he is trying to beat the tag at home plate. He actually slides like 6 feet on his face. Water is flying everywhere and 9,999 guys are laughing their arse off. He gets up and makes another dash for registration...still holding his perch in a death grip. I dont know what he won, but years later, I can remember it clearly.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
that is FF!!!! I'm still crying here.

my cousin won a boat/motor/trailer about 15 years ago at one of those suckers. I think it was Forest Lake, but it may have been Mille Lacs. He was something like the 150th fish registered. He fished for about 45 seconds before he caught it. Nice prize for less than a minute of fishing.

He still had the boat until a few years ago.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Berettaman
The only thing I have witnessed that beats the flag-dash is one time I helped with security at one of those big ice fishing tourneys. If you have never seen one, they put about 5,000 to 10,000 guys in a small area...holes are pre-drilled about 6-8 feet apart. It is always a shotgun start and the first fish is usually worth a big prize (ATV or something). the first 10 fish actually are worth quite a bit. Could be a 2 oz perch, but if you get there first, you will be happy. So they blow the horn and everyone drops their bait. Immediately, a few people catch a fish and the race is on. A guy by me pulls up a 6-inch perch, and takes off. Now I gotta set the stage a little. When you put 10,000 guys on the ice with a lot of gear and some trucks and snowmobiles and stuff, the ice sags a little and water comes up and pools all over. There was about a foot of snow. So now we literally have about a foot of slush...I am not exaggerating as I had to be extremely careful where I walked or the water would come over the top of my boots.

The guy in question is about 5 foot 8, 280 pounds. he has that Santa Claus shape going and is encased in a Carhart Parka, carhart bibs, and Sorel boots. He grabs the perch and holding it like a torch makes the mad dash for the registration area. After he hits top speed (which really isnt all that fast, considering) he slips and goes head first into the slush, sliding like he is trying to beat the tag at home plate. He actually slides like 6 feet on his face. Water is flying everywhere and 9,999 guys are laughing their arse off. He gets up and makes another dash for registration...still holding his perch in a death grip. I dont know what he won, but years later, I can remember it clearly.

Was that the Park Rapids tourney by chance??? I seen the exact same scenario happen there. Laughed until I cried. That guy was literally under water sliding for about 10 feet before getting up and letting out a woop to show us all he still had his fish and took off again. laugh If I recall there was actually a big natural hole in the ice that was roped off and after the weight of all the people it flooded a pretty large area around it. My God that was hilarious!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can picture this whole thing...damn right funny.

Educated guess here....alcohol was involved. "D

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by M1894
Do any of you guys use those under water fish cams ?

I have one and it is very fun to use! But it can be just as frustrating. The first time I used was on URL (upper red lake in mn - former crappie factory, now a walleye factory)

BIG walleyes would come in and stare at your bait and you could jig, try different colors and they would not bite. So for the entire time, they are just sitting there, you're watching them in anticipation, hoping one of them is hungry enough to latch on and then they slowly swim away. Fun but frustrating is what a camera is! I also have a vexilar and that is really fun too especially on suspended crappies!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nope, it was the Alexandria tourney. I bet it happens a lot. Yes, believe it or not, some do consume alcohol while fishing. This guy was all business. As soon as he could get on his feet, he started pumping those legs for all he was worth. Of course by now he weighed about 380.

I tell ya what, if I dont have anything going on, I will go out there to watch the first 10 minutes. That is pure entertainment right there.

Have a good New Years and be safe folks!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I always thought I would like ice fishing.I cannot concieve of ice thick enough to support onr person much less 10,000 people.
Flag,what's a flag used for?

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If it was the park rapids tourney, no alcohol is allowed...not saying it wasn't happening....but that is the rules dammit! whistle

Now the Brainerd tourney that is a full fledge drunk fest. I was there the year the Vikes played the falcons for the NFC championship game frown and ESPN was flying over in a helicpter filming us on the ice. I remember it well because we were walking off the ice afterwards along with about 15,000 other people and I notice this guy on a bucket still "fishing". I get closer to him and he just slumps off his bucket on to the ice and lays there passed out cold. His buddies come along laughing their azz's off and just grab him by the hood of his parka and drag him all the way to the road which is about 3/8 of a mile from the tourney spot. Tears do freeze! grin

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
I always thought I would like ice fishing.I cannot concieve of ice thick enough to support onr person much less 10,000 people.
Flag,what's a flag used for?

Stan

A flag is on a tip up... a tip up is a elementry (at best) fishing reel on a board that goes over the top of the hole drilled in the ice. On the reel, you spool your line, and attach the chosen lure/bait to the hook at the end of it.

There is a little post on the reel that holds the "flag" down. When a fish grabs the bait and runs, the spool turns, releasing the flag. The flag tips up and waves in the wind.

When you see the flag, you throw everything you are holding into the air, and run as fast as a fat man can run while wearing long underwear, jeans, charhhart bibs, sweat shirt, flannel shirt, a carrhart jacket, three pairs of socks, and choppers, can run. then you move the tip up off the hole, check to make sure the line is still coming out, and tug on the line setting the hook.

When the line tugs back, you start reeling in the line by hand and hope there is still a fish on it when it reaches the hole.

This gets real intersting some times because more that one "flag" will go at a time. Then all hell breaks loose and it looks like a rummage sale on the ice until everybody picks up their clothing they trew off trying to land a 17" walleye. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[quote=tzone
This gets real intersting some times because more that one "flag" will go at a time. Then all hell breaks loose and it looks like a rummage sale on the ice until everybody picks up their clothing they trew off trying to land a 17" walleye. grin

[/quote]

HA! Thanks a LOT Tom! My monitor now wears a good portion of my scalloped taters w/ ham my wife packed me for lunch!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
we run tip ups for the snappy gator up here, the ole water woof, right rooster? ole jack, fresh water baracuda. Pike!!

you tighten up the slack on a 20lb pike & you don't have to wonder if he's still on there!! grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Nope, it was the Alexandria tourney.

Ok good because the way I remember it, they announced 90 seconds until the end of the tourney and this guy gets a little snake northern about 12 inches long and duplicated your scenario.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

HA! Thanks a LOT Tom! My monitor now wears a good portion of my scalloped taters w/ ham my wife packed me for lunch!

Hey...I'm having the same thing. cept my fil made it. Wifey is out of town.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
we run tip ups for the snappy gator up here, the ole water woof, right rooster? ole jack, fresh water baracuda. Pike!!

you tighten up the slack on a 20lb pike & you don't have to wonder if he's still on there!! grin

One of these days you'll have to show me how do catch one of those big suckers through the ice.

I can't cathch those damn things through the ice worth a damn...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

F'NA! Some of the most fun you'll ever have fishing is when you get multiple flags when the big pike are up in the flats getting fat and sassy before they head up river to spawn after ice out. You can't keep any between 30" and 40" and only one over 40" per day so its fight 'em, get 'em up above the ice, measure 'em, take a picture and back down the hole most of the time. It is a real blast especially with a group of people which means one or more of your tip ups need to be set up quite aways from where everyone is gathered for the social hours. Its always fun to heckle your buddies when they are running to a far out flag after they have consumed a 15 pack or so.

RUN! YOU FAT SOB! RUN!!!

grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
when are ya gonna show me?

A story is just a story without proof. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Hey...I'm having the same thing. cept my fil made it. Wifey is out of town.

Well that is a co-inky-dink. cool

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
when are ya gonna show me?

A story is just a story without proof. grin

I think we can arrange that don't you Davester? I normally don't try for them until february but a buddy of mine fishes them all winter and did very well on the pike last weekend on LOW.

Page 102 of 1,842 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.