-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A quick, easy to make, and tasty soup is the one on the can of Bush's black beans.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's a delicious Chinese soup you'll like if you like Chinese soups.

RON�S HOT �N SOUR SOUP
(serves 4 generously)

4 ea. 14� oz. cans of chicken broth (Swansons, College Inn)
4-ea. Dried Chinese mushrooms (1� inches in diameter)
2-ea. �Squares� (3-inches ea.) Chinese bean curd (tofu) � inch thick
�-ea, Cup canned bamboo shoots, sliced thin
2-Tbs. Tiger lily buds (about 5 buds) shredded
2-Tbs. Cloud ears, sliced thin
� Medium chicken breast (approx. 4 oz.) w/bone & skin on
1-Tbs. Kikkoman�s all purpose soy sauce
3-Tbs. White vinegar
1-ea. Egg, lightly beaten
1-tsp. Salt (to taste-don�t over-salt)
1-tsp. White pepper
3-Tbs. Corn starch mixed with 3 Tbs. cold water
3-ea. Scallions, white part cut in narrow slivers 1� long, chop green tops
1-Tbs. Toasted Sesame oil (to taste)

1) Soak mushrooms, tiger lily buds and cloud ears in very hot water for about 30 minutes until they are soft. Remove from water, rinse thoroughly under running water to remove all grit & dirt. Cut off hard parts of stems from mushrooms so only the caps remain, the hard center of the cloud ears & the hard tip (one end only) of the tiger lily buds.
2) Slice the mushrooms & cloud ears into thin slices. Finely shred tiger lily buds into �threads� using fingernails to pull buds into very thin strips. Slice bean curd (tofu) into half inch cubes.
3) Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the egg, bean curd, pepper, vinegar, cornstarch solution and toasted sesame oil in a heavy 3-quart sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer (covered) for a 30 minutes.
4) Remove chicken & allow to cool, discard bone & skin. Cut into small cubes, add to pot. Skim the debris off the top of the liquid in pot.
5) STOP at this point if you wish to �hold� the soup (covered) on �warm� without losing any flavor or texture in order to coordinate the �timing� of the soup with the meal.
6) When ready to serve, add the bean curd, pepper and vinegar & bring to a boil. Give the cornstarch solution a stir to mix well, then rapidly swirl the soup with a large spoon and slowly pour in the cornstarch/water mixture while stirring until the soup thickens slightly.
7) Continue stirring the soup and slowly pour in the beaten egg. Remove from heat, stir in the sesame oil, ladle soup into bowls, garnish with scallion slivers & chopped green tops. Serve.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have a recipe for chicken borsch? I remember getting chicken borsch at the Alpine Inn in Eugene Or. back in the late 60's Best stuff I ever ate.
Thanks! Virgil B.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
LOVED that "SOUP NAZI" on Seinfeld...!

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Made some Salmon Corn Chowder the other day. Another hit in the household.

Ingredients

3 Tablespoons butter
2 medium sized leeks, including tender green portions, cut into thin julienne
1 large potato, peeled and diced small
2 cups fish stock, bottled clam juice or chicken stock
3 cups milk
3 cups heavy cream
1 pound salmon fillet, skinned, rinsed, dried and cut into small dice
1 cup whole kernel corn, preferably white
Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Directions

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, but not browned, about 8 minutes.

Add the potato to the leeks and stir to coat with the butter. Pour in the stock and simmer uncovered over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the milk and cream and simmer for 10 minutes more. Add the salmon and corn and simmer just until the fish and corn are done, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
IC B2

J
J
I don't have any recipes. I just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and cook it. I like to use Curry though, instead of Black Pepper. I like it better.

One good way to make soups is when you cook any kind of meat, take the oils left and cut it with water and use it in the broth. Mmmmmmmmmmm..... I do that when poaching fish, or frying turkey burgers etc. I usually use water to cook them so there's some water with all those juices in the pan. I put that in a container or jar and freeze it. And thaw when needed.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The single disadvantage of smoked turkey (otherwise known as tryptophan crack) is that the carcass does not make a usable stock. Don't know why, but I tried it once, and it was awful.

What a shame. That means I have to pick, gnaw and suck at it until I burst. Urrrrrp.

Wish I had read a post like yours a year ago!

I tried to make soup out of a smoked Canada goose carcass. It was, to put it mildly, bad. The goose meat had disappeared quickly at a dinner party (served on small crackers), so I thought the carcass would be good for a soup but I was wrong. It had a bitter, kersosene like taste! sick

Live and learn...

John

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A easy to make soup that goes good with cornbread

2 lb hamburger browned with 1 medium size chopped onion then mix with
2 cans rotel tomatoes
2 cans ranch style beans
3 cans minestrone soup.

Called 7 can soup

Ronald

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like my mom's chili until you add the minestrone. laugh

I'll put that in my soup file doesn't sound too bad!

Sassy

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sassy,

It is a good soup that we make at work in a electric metal pot . Another one we do is chicken and dumplings.

Boil 4 chicken breast till done leave stock in pot take chicken and shred into small pieces put back in stock with one can cream of celery add 3 cans of biscuits pulled into 1/6th pieces let boil till dough is firm add black pepper and enjoy.

My wife also likes to add another can of cream of mushroom soup and some creame.

Ronald

Last edited by RNF; 01/03/09.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (12344mag, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 79 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,727
Posts18,494,746
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.