Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Not long ago, I can't remember where, I read about a person who would put one or two live primers inside the case with the powder, to get better ignition.

IIRC, it was a very large capacity cartridge and it took this extra spark to ignite the powder.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this? It seems like it could be dangerous.

GB1

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about dangerous but ineffective,yes.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
That's just about the dumbest reloading suggestion I've ever heard. Wow! DO NOT TRY THIS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just say--- No thank you crazy

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by super T
That's just about the dumbest reloading suggestion I've ever heard.

That is at least the equal of the guy who was grinding stick powder in a mortar and pestle because he could get more of it in a rifle case if it had smaller granules.

Stupid can be painful, in cases like these. Could make for an entertaining Darwin Award writeup, though... whistle.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I 2nd the Darwin Award. Good grief!

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KABOOM

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
HUH?????

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's something odd about 13579...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There's something odd about 13579...

grin grin

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I just asked my 15 year old son what he thought of this idea, as a test so to speak. He looked at me like I'd just ate a booger. Thank goodness, since he sometimes looks at the fire too. Hope he never takes a suggestion from 13579.......

I'm your Huckleberry. -Tombstone

Time flies like the Wind. Fruit flies like Bananas! -Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bad idea. Dangerous. Don't do it. 'Nuff said.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No, I don't plan on doing it, nor did I suggest doing it. I actually read where someone did do it, though, and I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard about it.

It does seem strange, though, kinda like using a bit of fast burning powder for an ignition charge to ignite hard to ignite or large amounts of powder.

I believe it was for one of the larger caliber English rifles, maybe an 8 or 6 bore rifle, or it could have been a muzzle loader and they dropped one or two percussion caps down the barrel.

I wish I could remember where I read it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By the time the ignited powder ignited the primers, the powder would already be ignited, so it wouldn't help.

Maybe you have it confused with duplex loads, where a small charge of smokeless powder was used to help ignite a large charge of black powder, or a small charge of fast-buring powder was used to help ignite a large charge of slow-burning powder. The sort of experimenting done long ago before the average or even advanced handloader had access to tools like chronographs and computer ballistics programs.

Lot of things people used to do that have turned out to be fairly bad ideas...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Adding caps to a charge to get better ignition is ALMOST as foolish as the guy who once told me that he and an "expert reloader friend" used to mix a few grains of Bulleye to their magnum charges of 4813 to "improve igniton and spread out the pressure curve for higher velocity." GAG!

I had already known the man was a fool, just hope he was also a lier, at least in this instance.

Last edited by boomtube; 01/01/09.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 13579
Not long ago, I can't remember where, I read about a person who would put one or two live primers inside the case with the powder, to get better ignition.

IIRC, it was a very large capacity cartridge and it took this extra spark to ignite the powder.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this? It seems like it could be dangerous.

Sounds like a good plan. Give it a go and let us know what happens. Or have your next of kin let us know if your no longer able to type.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 13579
I wish I could remember where I read it.

Maybe you read it here Friends of Darwin

I love this place

Last edited by cmfic1; 01/02/09.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are people who need an intervention and have all reloading tools removed from their control. The Darwin process is OK provided all they eliminate is their own foolish selves.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think he's on to somthing guys....if the bullet misses it's mark you'll still have a chance with the primer buck-shot.

PS- I'd use a Fed215's for deeper penetration...their kind of the Barnes of the primer world.

Brett

100% Public land DIY!
13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
muledeer:

No, it wasn't what some people refer to as a duplex load. I really read it somewhere.

Duplex is what Elmer Keith called some of his loads, but that was not what they were, although many people thought he was mixing powder, or using an ignition charge of an easy to ignite powder.

People, please pay attention: I have no intention of trying this. I am not suggesting that anyone else try it. If you want to win a Darwin award, you will have to do it on your own. My powder lights just fine. I only wanted to know if anyone else might have read the same thing. I'm really not concerned with Darwin Awards for myself. I have enough that I earned accidently, without trying to earn one on purpose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,879
Posts18,497,751
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.