Print Thread
Hop To
Page 103 of 1,842 1 2 101 102 103 104 105 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm very easily talked into a tip up trip for northerns.

actually right now is my fav time to be out there, before xmas & into early January.

But late ice is a really good time & it's better known as THE TIME to catch big pike.

Rooster Jim was kind enough to send me these photos to post from one of the last times our families were together chasing tip up flags & pulling tug of war with pike.

Here's a couple of rooster Jim.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

jims wife "Special K" I love that hat.
[Linked Image]

and me sneaking in on my oldest boy "runs with scisors" picture moment.
[Linked Image]

Stan, there is a typical tip up in the bottom right of this last photo.

Jim's gonna haff to tell the story, I been out there on that sheet of ice chasing flags soo many times I get my stories mixed up.

Something clever here.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well these pics are actually from three different trips last winter. The one's with me, I was fishing with a buddy of mine who has an 8 x 18 sleeper house. Not sure why I look so crabby. confused
Maybe its because I was asking him to take a picture and he was lying in the house hung over and whining for me to quit fishing and run to town and get him cocoa puffs. grin

The one of Dave and runs with scissors was a trip we took after that and we all had a good 'ol time out there. I sent Dave more pics from that trip to post.

The one of my wife was from a trip we took the weekend after that and as you can tell there was gale force winds that day. (Her 'fuzzy hat's' earlappers normally hang straight down) We had to sit in the truck and wait for flags and the wind was rocking the truck most of the day. Yes the WIND Tzone and Wabo!

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I googled "tip ups" and got a load of info and pictures.Now I Understand tip ups and flags.
OK,cultural exchange time,boys and girls.Here's a southern thang.
Yo-yo fishing.Anyone?OK,you there.The goofy looking one.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think he meant you Dave but I'll take this one: grin

The Yo Yo is an automatic fishing reel made of steel with a tempered spring that automatically sets the hook when the trigger is released by a fish taking the bait. These reels are very popular for catching Crappie and Catfish.

Yo-Yo's can be attached to limbs, boat docks, the side of a boat, or any other means that will suspend the reel a couple of inches above the water. They also make an excellent device for ice fishing. Many people use these yo-yo's for jug fishing.

You should keep a yo yo or two in your survival kit. Instead of actively fishing, you can set this automatic fishing reel and use your limited daylight to take care of other things such as improving your shelter. Check the yo-yo after a couple of hours and retrieve your dinner. Eat a great meal and sleep more comfortably (under the circumstances).

Stong, lasting, durable

Stainless steel spring

Simple and easy to use

Adjustable line tension

Fisherman tried and tested for years
60lb test nylon line

Sets the fish and holds automatically
In a survival setting, you can also bait a hook to catch birds and small animals. Don't get squeamish. If you're out of food, you need to eat to keep up your strength and spirits. A proven device to catch fish is an excellent, lightweight survival item to keep in your emergency survival kit. You can also fish with them in many locations. Check local fishing regulations.

Hey I can google too!

grin

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Seriously though. That does look kinda cool and would be more than handy in a survival situation.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Give that man a cigar!There is one other use made of yo-yo's that I saw in Alabama one time.We were deer hunting on a private plantation of some 30,000 acres and the owner got really mad when he discovered a long line strung thru the woods about waist high and a yo yo about every ten feet baited with corn.It seems some of his share croppers were catching wild turkey with them.There was one turkey caught on the line he found.There were serious repercussions.

Stan

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Beer, Lineflap earlappers, tip ups, line tension springs, truck rockin, Sleepover cabins, Beer, free ATV's and Boats for fishing, Beer... Every Mans Dream come true.. blush grin

I gotta sell my house before I can move, I gotta sell my house before I can move, Remain calm, I gotta sell the house and tell the wife I wanna move.. New Years Brain Overload!!! Happy New Year!!!! laugh

Last edited by wabo; 12/31/08.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
On this New Years Eve I ask that you have a toast for My Sister in Laws Father Jim, on this day before her birthday she lost her father, a fellow deer hunter, a Great fisherman, a Grandfather to my Nieces and Nephews and his childrens, children, A Vietnam Vet and a Dam Fine Man with many friends whom I wish I would have made the time to know better. This One is for you Jim may you rest in peace with the Best hunting and fishing anyone could ever ask for!!!... Don't worry your pain is no longer there, enjoy Gods gifts in Heaven and I'll be keeping an eye on your family for you. Rest my friend you've earned it!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wabo as you request. In honor of Jim!

Buddy I got to tell you that choked me up a bit!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice Pike pics boys.

I love the pic of Dave's fish house! Definitely one of my favorite times of year, but I would rather throw the spear than chase flags.

Last edited by nosnowhere; 12/31/08.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by northern_dave
oh i love me some flag chasing!!

After day 2 of watching the white tundra for orange flags to pop up I get a little buggy. I remember driving home from the lake & still scanning the fields & ditches for flags, almost locking up the brakes when I spoted a row of little orange flags poked in the ground marking an underground cable.

I would love to hear from somebody down south that hasn't ice fished before, after seeing the flag run for the first time.

A grown man drops whatever he is doing, unless its beer drinkin' grin to run, slip, slide, sprawl across the ice to a little orange flag wavin' in the wind....oh chit missed em...back to cookin brats and burgers.

Ya gotta live here I guess.

I like watchin newbies scramble when the ice gives a big loud CRACK, POP, CRACK too. They start runnin...where ya gonna go? laugh

That is the best. I used to take my girlfriend(s) out to the dark house (to spear lol) Watching their eyes the first time the ice popped (or was that my zipper? lol) was awesome.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
I always thought I would like ice fishing.I cannot concieve of ice thick enough to support onr person much less 10,000 people.
Flag,what's a flag used for?

Stan

A flag is on a tip up... a tip up is a elementry (at best) fishing reel on a board that goes over the top of the hole drilled in the ice. On the reel, you spool your line, and attach the chosen lure/bait to the hook at the end of it.

There is a little post on the reel that holds the "flag" down. When a fish grabs the bait and runs, the spool turns, releasing the flag. The flag tips up and waves in the wind.

When you see the flag, you throw everything you are holding into the air, and run as fast as a fat man can run while wearing long underwear, jeans, charhhart bibs, sweat shirt, flannel shirt, a carrhart jacket, three pairs of socks, and choppers, can run. then you move the tip up off the hole, check to make sure the line is still coming out, and tug on the line setting the hook.

When the line tugs back, you start reeling in the line by hand and hope there is still a fish on it when it reaches the hole.

This gets real intersting some times because more that one "flag" will go at a time. Then all hell breaks loose and it looks like a rummage sale on the ice until everybody picks up their clothing they trew off trying to land a 17" walleye. grin

Tom,

Thanks for the visual. You nailed it right on the head. Damn that was good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the flag goes up, the hand to hand combat begins! Happy new year all,

Swish

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wabo,

I didn't check in for a few days, a toast to you SIL's father. He sounds like a hell of a man. Sorry for the loss.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Very nice pics and pike rosster jim and northern_dave!!!

I gotta get me some of those gators. I have caught a few decent ones with the rod but never through the ice.

Biggest through the ice is 32" with a waxie and bulegill jig.

I'm good to go when ever you guys want me to come up....give me a weeks notice at least.

ps. I'm serious.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by nosnowhere

That is the best. I used to take my girlfriend(s) out to the dark house (to spear lol) Watching their eyes the first time the ice popped (or was that my zipper? lol) was awesome.

I bet you were spearin in the dark house....grin

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks guys, I'm sure Jim is smiling down on his family right now. The wierd thing about all of this is with one side of my family losing a father, I now await news of any further changes from my little sister who is having labor pain as I type. This will be my 10th niece or nephew to arrive soon. God always has a plan!

If you guys are on the northeast side of MN I hope you are inside it sounds like you have a regular blizzard coming in.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey guys! We've been out fishing for a few days. We put the big house out & we even caught a few fish. weather was terrible yesterday with this storm that rolled in but otherwise it's been a really nice long weekend.

We put the house out on Thursday & fished just a little (it was late).

Then on Friday the 2 older boys & I went out on the lake in the old yellow plow truck. we blazed a path out to the fish house with the plow truck & then we simply walked into the dry warm fish house with open holes, baited our hoks & dropped em down the holes. See, we left the heater on low when we left the house on Thursday night so it would be ready to go on Friday morning. Pam & our little guy followed shortly behind us in another truck.

Fishing was OK, we did beter than most that we talked to, caught around 25 or more fish all day, kept about 9 I think.

Then we went back out Sat morning in the crappy weather, it wasn't so much a white out with limited visibility but it was a blinding white that made it hard to see the lake road. We kept a couple on Sat & threw back a 22" walleye, This lake has a release immediately slot size & i think it's between 19" & 28", it may be 19.5, not sure exactly but I know this fish was definately in that slot so we got a picture & released it.

Here are some pictures.

First fish caught in the house (pam hates this picture) nasty little pout. (the fish) grin

[Linked Image]

here's the view of what my bobbers do best, float!

[Linked Image]

here's the boy in his corner.

[Linked Image]

another boy (runs with scisors) in his corner.

[Linked Image]

And the littlest boy in his corner. He's got his chocolate milk & his snack cake in his lap, needed help holding his monster walleye for the picture. cheesy smile.
[Linked Image]

and the saturday morning slot fish that had to be released.

[Linked Image]

Pretty fun weekend of fishing.

Dave

PS, Stan, I've actually used those yo-yo's before, but they are illegal up here.

Last edited by northern_dave; 01/04/09.

Something clever here.

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
GO NDSU!!!!!!!

My youngest boy and his wife's school. Grads about 8 years ago.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wanna see pics of the house sitting on the lake.
Fine looking younguns.Momma too.
Stan in SC

Page 103 of 1,842 1 2 101 102 103 104 105 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.