Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok, looked up, the 640 and 940 come in a 40, Lee yours must be the 941. Got it. Sure wish EVERY snub 2" gun was 3" instead, I shot an old 3" once, brand unknown and hit very well w/it, but a 2" I don't think gives me enough site radius, and velocity must be down. At least there are many 4" options from many brands.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I should add I"m worried about weight, you may have other issues, the 22 would be secondary to other firearms and it may be main to you and as such your needs may be very different than ours, and at the moment the wife carries the 329 as bear medicine and we keep it zero'd with medium 240s that will do just fine on small game.. but stoked wiht 270s just in case...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh yes the 22 is not my sole nor would be primary arm for any larger target (Smith 65 w/ silvertips for defense), I am not in bear country when packing a 22, I'd happily pack a 329 or similar 41 (357 PD) or perhaps a 10mm (w/right loads). My use of packing would be when hiking/camping canoeing in areas where I am not sure of gun regs, so open hip carry might not be desirable....but I'd rather the option to be alive fighting over that in court vs 6 ft under if you know what I mean. For defense, it'd be last ditch (though a cylinder or clip of 22's center mass SHOULD make someone ill-or the presence alone might avoid that happening), but again, most of it's intended use other than that.

Rost, given the light weight of the alloy Smiths I MIGHT give some new thought as to 'caliber options' as you do have a good point, VERSATILITY. Still want a lighter 22 if anything while my 11 year old is still growing.....he can handle it. Later, as big as the charts put him, the Bull Rugers will be light in his hand!

Rost, not sure, but I assume those new alloy guns are rust resistant/proof thru and thru? Good/better than stainless? Thought they may have a bbl liner....some type steel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
65BR

Here's a thought. You got a lot of excellent advice concerning a lot of excellent guns. So why not just pick one and end this thread? Or you may just enjoy the search process. Lot of gun loonies, myself included,do.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
THE PRE-WAR WOODSMAN PISTOLS WERE VERY COMPACT, WITHOUT EXCESS WEIGHT OR MASS. MOST HAD 6" BARRELS. YOU COULD FIND A SHOOTER GRADE EXAMPLE
AND SET IT UP TO YOUR LIKING.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
THE PRE-WAR WOODSMAN PISTOLS WERE VERY COMPACT, WITHOUT EXCESS WEIGHT OR MASS. MOST HAD 6" BARRELS. YOU COULD FIND A SHOOTER GRADE EXAMPLE
AND SET IT UP TO YOUR LIKING.
Originally Posted by half_whit
http://www.usfirearms.com/pages/woodsman_press_release.asp only one i know of. maybe try a sig trailside?

Wow! That would suit your requirements!

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Steve, I agree, and likely will be going thru a few different ones to try. I appreciate all the ideas, several options that should work fine for what I need to do with it.

Thanks all, enjoyed hearing what has worked well for you guys.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
65BR,

I'm kinda a .22 pistol looney. The Woodsman is pretty muzzel lite it is not as easy to shoot well as some of the others.

The Buckmark and the Smith 22A are both fine pistols. They are physically a little bigger than a Woodsman but don't weigh any more. They are both easier to hit with-at least for me.

Original High Standards have the accuracy standard to beat. Some versions are roughly the size/weight of a Woodsman.

No one mentioned the Walther P22. It's smaller than any of the above. You can get a combo pac with both long and short barrels.Lite and unnoticable on the hip. Big plus is the darn things are very accurate.

Suppose I should add, I own all the above and have put thousands of rounds thru each. No problems.

O

Too old to suffer fools
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yes, 65BR, my Taurus is a 941, 4-inch barrel, polished stainless.
It is easy to keep clean outdoors, and pretty darn accurate.
It shoots almost as well as my Smith Kit Gun, and feels just like it. A lot of rats and squirrels have been clobbered with it, in both single and double action mode. It is a lot handier to carry and pack than a Buckmark or SW22. But I have them all, plus Pardini, Fiocchi, and S&W 41. $300 buys a lot of pistol.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They have a barrel liner from what I know. I ultra bore coated my barrel just to be safe as I don't really worry much about my guns, they are to be used, not babied.
As a result there are still a few droplets of caribou blood on my 329 that Carolyn carries, tahts from 2003, hasn't rusted yet... and blood generally speeds that up...

BUT I cannot confirm they are rust proof by any means....

My thoughts would be that a Ti gun, 4 inch, adjustable sights, along the lines of the 327/357 would be just ideal, 32 or 38s or the mags as needed....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even though you mention a dislike for super lightweights, I have a Smith Airlight 317 with the 3" barrel and it is very accurate with CCI Green Tag ammo. Accurate enough to centerpunch a few ptarmigan on a recent Brooks Range trip. I can't ask anymore for a "pot" gun than this little revolver delivers. It does require some practice to get used to a trigger pull heavier than the total gun weight, but if I can do it, anyone can...

Last edited by DPhillips; 10/01/08.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 65BR
sigguy, I have a 70S that does well, but the front sight needs to be higher, it shoots high, but NEVER misfires or fails to feed. More heft and sight radius would not be bad. My old HB 17 w/TT TH, was the right size/weight but the 617 was too much weight.....as you say KK, very subjective.

VB, is that Mark 2 4" bull the 45 grip, or old style? Blue/SS?

So Did COLT and BROWNING both make Challengers?

Not familiar with the Olympian, but do remember a Star with 2 bbl lengths it seems, decent weight bbl semi-auto, just looked up the walther O, looks similar to the Star.. which is Spanish I believe. Awhile back someone perhaps Daewood made a PP clone mfg. in China, in 22, but never seen one.

Not sure the USFA co. ever got around to mfg. the Woodsman in 'Oct. '07" as they planned.

Keep my eyes peeled for an older classic perhaps like a Nomad, Colt, or High Standard in 4 or 4.5" as they will be the right size/wt. and triggers likely crisp. Just being in the hot humid deep south, a stainless, or at least nickel would be preferable to minimize rust during adverse conditions. Keep my blued guns wiped down, but a SS you can forget and not get a 'surprise' a few days down the road.

The Smith 63 one gent stated may be a great packer, just recall I wanted a tad larger grip which is when I sold my 34 (blue J frame cousin) and got the 17. Old style 17 in SS would be JUST the ticket for a 22 LR revolver in 4" if they made one....

Wonder if the factory will still add a nickel finish to their blued guns, if you have some $$$ The double actions load/unload a bit quicker which helps if you are plinking and bent on burning a brick of ammo on an afternoon.

Yep, thought I remember seeing this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111356513

If a 4" and the price was right......be hard for me to resist. Like shorties for carry.

Yeah, I think I'll have to look for a Beretta 22 semi auto. I think they make the best small 22 auto around. My old 87 never misfired, even with nasty cheap ammo. A 70 would be nice too.

The newer plastic 22's are ok, but lack the quality feel of the older all metal guns. Nice Smith steel Kit guns are getting harder to find, and expensive!

I found a really nice Browning Nomad for $300 that is calling my name......have to find a holster for that one.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lee, owned a 41 5.5", for a target gun, could not hit much better when off the bags than my Rugers, but it DID shoot, great balance/sights/trigger, when plinking I just missed the easy to grap 'bolt ears' on the Rugers, when shooting clip after clip on a plinking afternoon. Also, it seemed to want/need cleaning more than I could get by on the Ruger, small inconvenience I'd suppose for a sweet shooter. A long bbl scoped 41 should give my Comp. Slab Ruger a good run..... Owning a Pardini, etc. says it all, they don't come much better. Thought in the past of buying a TOP shelf target gun like that or a Hammerli, when they had models now disc. as it seems practical to get a match grade gun, ready to shoot out the box, w/o any mods/work. $$$$ prevented from ever aquiring my first.

Being a 'Sig Guy' surprised you sigguy did not mention the mosquito, but heard mixed reviews, price is right, the gun and ammo vs other sigs....yes, the older Berettas were SOLID guns. My 70s Never misses a beat. If it were stainless and sights regulated.....would be hard to ignore that one, living in a very humid climate...just makes things 'worryless' having Stain Less...as it were, saw the Smith 651 recently go for a hefty sum, so YES going up and up. Perhaps they will make a comeback...up to Smith. The Nomad were said to be solid guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Present is a 3" S&W Airlite .22 at ~ 13 oz.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned,.... but a S&W K-22 is an outrageously accurate handgun.

A K-frame Smith is a bit on the large side as far as .22's go,... but it's more proper to think of a 6" K-22 as a hand held carbine than it is a handgun.

I bought one a coupla years ago and I wouldn't be without it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'm still thinking that i'd love to have a bearcat... i just like the things... several friends own originals...

back when i was fresh out of the army, i had a landlord who carried his bearcat everywhere in thr front pocket of his bibs... he ran a small construction firm and paid his hands in cash....
as he left the bank one payday two guys grabbed him and flashed a knife in his face... he was the wrong guy to grab at anyway, bull strong and about as excitable as a stump.... as it turned out, he always had that bearcat in his hand when he left the bank... he crotch shot the knife guy and split the other guys head open with his huge fist...
i heard that he died last year, at his retirement home in florida... bet the little bearcat was still with him...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a SS Bearcat on Christmas eve from a local gunshop. Have wanted one for quite awhile. Have heard they're hit and miss on accuracy, but they've got the small size going for them which is what I was interested in. Haven't shot mine yet, but can tell the stainless front sight is hard to see. Really wish these were avail w/ adjustable sights.

Another I'd like to have is a S&W model 63. Know they're being made again, but I refuse to buy one w/ the lock on the sideplate.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My trail guns:

Left side:

Smith 17-6
Smith Pre model 18
Smith 63-nothing

Right side:

Colt Huntsman x2
Walther PP

Bottom:
Ruger MKII with Gemtech can

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This is truly an older post but a used Mark II Ruger with a Pac-Lite upper seems closer than anything that matches your criteria.

I carry a 4 in 651 Smith. It is loaded with WRF ammo when I want to pot a grouse. Otherwise Winchester 40 gr HP's in the first cylinder.

I carry three snakeshot up front in the summer though.

I have a 22 Rossi and a couple of Taurus revolvers for cheaper practice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very late chiming in here, but here goes...

I have used the following as .22 trail guns:

Jennings J-22 (honest). Utterly worthless for accuracy, but makes for an ideal wader pocket gun with shot loads. Zinc won't rust. Still have it in a tackle box - somewhere.

Taurus PT-22. Not very accurate, the long trigger pull is hard to manage; it never fed right because the magazine clip kept allowing the mag to drop down a hair. Sold.

Ruger Mark I auto. The 4" skinny barrel left the gun very butt-heavy. I was always afraid it would fall out of the holster as a result. I upgraded to a target barrel to solve that and found the thing too heavy to carry comfortably. Sold.

Ruger Bearcat. Have two originals and gave the better one to my daughter. The grungy one shoots two inches left no matter what I do to the front sight. Still carry the thing simply because it is so delightfully dainty. Too beat up to sell.

Ruger Single-six. More accurate than almost any other gun I own, with either cylinder. I understand that is unusual, but this one is. It won't ever be sold.

High-Standard. It wasn't mine, so I couldn't alter or change the big thumbrest target grips on it. Except for that, it would have been a great trail gun. Gave back to owner after a couple weeks.

I know a guy who made a very clever mod to a Single-Six Convertible. He bought a third cylinder for it, in .22LR and then had three of the chambers reamed for 22 WMR. That allows him to have three shots each of .22LR and .22 Mag in the gun at the same time. The chambers are individually stamped to avoid confusion. He can either quickly rotate the cylinder by opening the gate (it's a transfer bar model) or simply cock and lower the hammer several times to get the loads he wants. Slick.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 16penny, 16gage, 41 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,864
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.