Print Thread
Hop To
B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What would you guys here recommend for a reloading press? I've been looking at a Dillon 550B as I have both rifles and pistols to reload for. Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Blitz

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on what you are loading for, volume or precision. I use a single stage(RCBS) works fine for my applications. If I want to load volume, then it would be a Dillion, and I will just use my brothers.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dillon products are excellent. I also have a 550 and it is great for large amounts, however if working working up a load it is time consuming to change power charge and bullet seating depth. That said I use a RCBS Rockerchucker for load developement and small lots of hunting ammo. The 550 has a long stroke for loading pistol ammo, but it works fine. An added expense is shellplates are needed for each different case head size.

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Blitz ... how's it up in the NW corner of the state ? ....

For some folks , reloading is the prelude to the main event .... For others , it is the main event ..... and for the last remaining group ( like myself ) , I enjoy both - a lot .

The Dillon is a lifetime press . Over the last 18 years , I've replaced a couple of $5 springs . However , my 550B is used exclusively for pistol cartridges only .

When it come to bottle neck rifle cartridges , I'd rather do each step one at a time = single stage or turret press set up .

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker II single stage press , that produces less than .002 slop , when a dial indicator is placed on the ram ( ram is all the way up / handle all the way down ) .. very tight and accurate .

When I'm in a nostalgic mood , I prefer to use the following :

(1) Vintage Lyman Tru-Line Jr press ....these are great presses when neck sizing is performed . They use the Ideal 310 " Tong Tool " dies ...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

(2) Or I'll take out my Lyman Ideal 310 " Tong Tool " ... yep , I really enjoy the " under 30 " crowd at my Rod and Gun club asking me " what the hell is that thing " ....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/dupe450/DSC05629.jpg[/img]

(3) Or I'll use my Savage 730 " Straight 8 " ..... Rock solid and well made :

[img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/dupe450/imgp08221.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/dupe450/IMGP08231.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/dupe450/IMGP08241.jpg[/img]

Last edited by gd'40EG-300; 12/28/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ditto what 300Savagehunter said. The Dillon 550 is a great machine and their tech support people are top notch. Even if they don't list a change over kit for what you are loading they can figure out what will work. Before they listed a kit for .50 Beowulf I contacted them by e-mail about using a shellplate for a 7.63x39 and asked what else I'd need. Had the answer in about 10 minutes. That shellplate plus a large powder funnel and I was good to go. (I'm assuming that they list the .50 Beo. kit now but I have not looked).

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Redding T-7 and never look back.

I like it here. They let me swear.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
(3) Or I'll use my Savage 730 " Straight 8 " ..... Rock solid and well made :

I'd like to have one to put next to my Savage shotshell press.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use Single Stages, aftyer I broke a Rockchucker resizing some brass, I found and old Herter's Single Stage that works great, so I use a Rockchucker and a Herter's now. Sent my Lyman and Lee presses on their way, The Lyman is in Indiana, and the Lee is up in Northern Canada. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by corelokt

Funny ... I'd like the shotgun reloader next to my 730 grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Back in the early 1960s, I bought a new Texan Turret Press... but I've never used it as a progressive turret press.

It has 7 "stations" on the turret-head and I use them to keep two die-sets for center-fire rifles (currently .300 Savage & 7x57) and one 3-die pistol die-set (.44 magnum) ready to be used at all times.

Since the .300 Savage & 7x57 use the same shell-holder, it's a simple matter to turn the turret to the appropriate caliber set of dies and start reloading.

The .44 magnum takes a different shell-holder, but once that is changed, I'm ready to reload the .44 pistol rounds since all the dies for all three calibers are already set up to the proper height and locked down.

I have die-sets for about a dozen calibers, but these three die-sets are the calibers I use most.

However, since I load mostly "accuracy" and hunting loads... and rarely load any great volume (usually never more than 50 rounds and often just 20 or 30 rounds) of any particular caliber, I don't really need a high-volume loading press like any of the Dillon Presses.

From everything I've heard... for good, high-volume reloading, I understand that the Dillon line of reloading presses are excellent values. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by gd'40EG-300

I'll trade my shotshell press for your rifle press... or maybe you can trade your rifle press for my... or maybe... somehow this just isn't working.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the info guys. I have dies, bullets and brass for my HP22, nothing for my 300EG yet, and target shoot at an indoor range with a Kimber CDPII (45 ACP). With the new administration coming in, I want to be ready to keep myself in ammo.

Just in case...

Since I bought a house in Sept. I'm no longer in NW CT. Kinda SW now...

Blitz

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't think Conn. was big enough to have a NW or a SW. grin

My bad... blush

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd think it was kinda like being in the SW corner of your living room. grin grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey , hey now ... we're larger than Delaware , Rhode Island , and ..... and that's it . grin

The S.W. part of the Connecticut is " supposably " the most expensive part of the USA to live ( cost of living ).

Me , I live in the poorest part of the state ( N.E. corner ). We're called the " quiet corner " and I wouldn't have it any other way wink

Hope to meet you someday Blitz ..... You , hihobruce77 , Savage_99 and myself should get together and have a $8 buffalo burger at Cabela's someday .

Last edited by gd'40EG-300; 01/02/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gd'40EG-300

I'll trade my shotshell press for your rifle press... or maybe you can trade your rifle press for my... or maybe... somehow this just isn't working.

LOL laugh

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.