Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Just curious- how many of you own a backup bow, and take it along on an 'out of town' bowhunt?

If you do own one- is it the same make or model as your primary weapon of choice?

I just sold my old backup bow, and am considering whether to replace it with the same model as my current bow, or buying a new one and retiring my current one to backup status.

Knock wood, haven't had to use the backup, yet-

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Although I have a backup bow I don't take it with me as such. My primary is a Mathews Conquest Pro and my backup is a High Country Supreme(my first high dollar bow). So far knocking on wood has worked for me to!

til later

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Don't own one been playing Russian roulette especially on the out of town hunts. I currently shoot the Mathews LX and have a Reezen on order as of yesterday the LX will be the backup bow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't do out of town bow hunts. Too stubborn and cheap to even upgrade from my Whitetail Hunter, so no back-up bow around.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Never thought much about a back up till this year. My stepdad has not bow hunted in a few years because he lost his "good place". Anyway this year we hooked up with a guy that has a place in southern IL. My stepdad got a new bow (DXT) all setup for this hunt. He was pumped about his new bow because he hasn't bought a new one in over 10 years. Long story short our friend was taking him to another place to hunt on a atv and the string cought a branch and cut the string. Bam that quick bows worthless for that trip and hunt would have been over without our friends back up Drenalin. He killed a doe with the back up.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
yes i have a back up bow i get a new bow every year and i keep the one from the year before and they are all hoyts thank god.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
ive got a bear grizzly with all the attachments for a backup. but i shoot a stripped down pearson as my main. i like the instinct aspect of shooting it..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hoyt Ultratec as my main bow / Ross 334 for back up on out of town elk hunts.

Sorry, probably out'a touch, but WTH is a Reezen???

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well, I'm still using fingers shooting an early '90s Browning Trophy Reflex and my mid-'70s Jennings S-handle has been hanging on the wall in my wood shop for 8 yrs (think sawdust). The Jennings was also submerged when my house was flooded in '98 and not cleaned up. I tried to draw it a month or so ago out of curiosity--the draw length is an inch too short and 35% relaxation doesn't do much for me.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well, I'm still using fingers shooting an early '90s Browning Trophy Reflex and my mid-'70s Jennings S-handle has been hanging on the wall in my wood shop for 8 yrs (think sawdust). The Jennings was also submerged when my house was flooded in '98 and not cleaned up. I tried to draw it a month or so ago out of curiosity--the draw length is an inch too short and 35% relaxation doesn't do much for me.

Also, since my bowhunting place is only 8 miles and 15 minutes from the house, I don't worry about the backup bow.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Sorry, probably out'a touch, but WTH is a Reezen???

http://mathewsinc.com/bows/reezen65.asp

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always take a backup bow with me on my hunting trips. Of course, I can't just go out the back door and go hunting either.

Last edited by Dakotan; 11/25/08.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I wouldn't leave on a hunting trip without a backup bow, rifle, muzzleloader or whatever, I've had too many things go wrong and over the years I have needed a backup, mostly from dropping My weapon of choice out of tree stands, even had a stand break on me once and my muzzleloader fell 25ft to the ground and actually broke the stock in two, but luckily I had My trusty backup and was back in the woods for the evening hunt........547.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Back-up is the second most important thing I pack. Had a Jennings "T" Star for my back-up for many years. 2004 purchased Hoyt XTEC T1000 and now this is my back-up with a Hoyt TRYKON as primary bow. Same company, different model.

Ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drenalin and a Switchback.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just the one for me. A 2003 Hoyt Ultratec, same bow gets used for Hunting in the fall, Indoor targets in the winter, and a few 3D's in the summer. Old thing has 30,000+ shots on it and still puts meat in the freezer. I think maybe I'll put a new string and cables on this year - It still has the stock cables but I did replace the string a few years back.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DXT and a Q2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Elite GTO primary bow and Mathews Drenalin LD as my backup

i once had as many as 8 back-up bows eek

this chit can be addictive wink

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Definitely bring a back up. A few years ago I bought a very on sale Storm Archery F8 bow, was planning on retiring my Parker feather mag and use the F8. Then I realized that the Parker was too dang good to retire, and was the best bow I ever owned. Decided the Parker would stay primary, the F* was moved to the back up roll.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Are you kidding???

I shoot traditional and primitive and make my own bows (which is a bad addiction) so I've got backup bows in every closet in our house. I keep telling my wife those are back-up bows like her back-up shoes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 61 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.