Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
_
_Pete Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
_
If you wanted a new rifle in 6.5x55 Swede but couldn't find one you liked, what would be the best action/calibre (that is currently easily available) to start out with for re-barreling or even just re-chambering to this round, allowing for the fact that the bolt face may need work due to the slightly larger than standard head size on the Swede (.480 vs .473)?

Obviously, if re-barreling then original calibre as such is not an issue but action length is.

Thanks!

Peter

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I'd go 700 Rem and add a Ti take off handle to it.

Wby Van would be another good way but with the cost effectiveness of the Ti take off I'd most likely go 700.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had several "standard bolt face" actions rebarreled to 6.5x55 and never had to have one opened up yet. Apparently there is enough tolerance in most bolt faces to accomodate the 6.5x55 head.

You also might just look at the standard-length Ruger 77 action.

Actually, why not just a Mark II in 6.5x55? I had one for a while and it was extremely accurate. In fact I wish I hadn't sold it....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
_
_Pete Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
_
I looked on the Ruger site but couldn't see any rifles chambered in 6.5x55 other than an International as a distributor exclusive.

I guess a KM77RBZ MKII stainless/laminate in .270 or .30-06 would be a good candidate then? We can get them here for just over AU$1000. Then of course there is the cost of re-barreling.

The short actions (.308 length) would not be long enough would they?

Thanks.

Peter

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best
_
_Pete Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
_
Forgive my ignorance, what is a 'Ti take off handle' and how does it affect re-barreling?

Thanks.

Peter

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He's talking about a stock from a Rem 700 Ti model, that can be picked up 2nd hand fairly cheap. But I doubt that affects you much in Australia.

The Ruger was chambered in 6.5x55 in the past, but not currently. Which means getting a used one, if you can find one over there...

Long action's are required as the swede is just a hair too long for most short action. But also, the long action will allow you more room to seat bullets out further...

Last edited by blargon; 01/03/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a couple other options - i.e. other than purchasing a new rifle in another caliber for the purpose of re-barrelling to 6.5x55. Because the caliber is not offered in the current manufacturer catalog doesn't mean it's not available. Not only are there 'used', but there could be older stock available in that caliber in some stores for sale as new.

You might look into getting a custom rifle built from scratch. Not sure what that might cost though, or availability in the land down under. Was there any reason it absolutely must be a 6.5x55? If you can't find a rifle in that caliber you might also have an issue obtaining ammo. Even if it's a purely reloading proposition from your persective, you're still gonna need brass and bullets. So I suppose another 'alternative', if you're willing to consider it, is to look at another 'similar' caliber that is more readily obtainable. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions here if you want to consider an alternative.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I`ve had a 6.5x55 rebarrel done on both a Mark X and a M700, both were 30-06 to start. I had no trouble with the bolt face or feeding.

Last edited by Ol` Joe; 01/03/09.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A CRF Model 70, originally a 270, worked perfectly for me. No bolt face or extractor work was necessary.

Steve

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Legacy Sports has a barreled action in your caliber with a 1-8 twist. Howa brand.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bullethole
Legacy Sports has a barreled action in your caliber with a 1-8 twist. Howa brand.

Hi BH,
Have you ever seen one of these Howa barreled actons? I've been looking and asking but have come up empty. Would be nice to find one and get a McM stock on order.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The 6.5x55 works fine in a long action, but is too long for a short action.

Not a lot of people want Yugo 48 Mausers, because they are an intermediate action. As it happens, that creates a sweet spot for a person looking for a 6.5x55, because the action is just right for the 6.5. The stock can be refinished to look very decent, and that saves the cost of a stock.

US made 6.5x55 brass fits fine in bolts made for the 308/270/30-06. European brass is reported to be just slightly different.

If you're lucky, you might find a new commercial Mauser action and end up not paying any more for it than you would for a milsurp plus the rework costs. However, you'll have to buy a stock for that. Be careful. The bottom metal on a commercial Mauser tends to be 1/4" shorter, so stocks made for the military version don't fit right.

Last edited by denton; 01/03/09.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've bought probably a dozen howa barreled actions for various builds. they are nice!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[quote=denton]The 6.5x55 works fine in a long action, but is too long for a short action.

US made 6.5x55 brass fits fine in bolts made for the 308/270/30-06. European brass is reported to be just slightly different.

Remington or Win. will go into a standerd shell holder for 308 based cartridges(30-06 also)but Norma brass will not.So if you use Norma Brass ,possibly the bolt face will need to be enlarged.

Last edited by Huntz; 01/03/09.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Geo W.,

I think it has been pretty recent they put up on their website. There is a red "new" box on the listing. Might be a while till they come out.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Potshot,

Any M77 Mk. II in .270 or .30-06 should work fine. You should be able to get a magazine block and follower from Ruger, or you could have a 'smith modify/make the parts if need be. Screw on a good tube and you'll be good to go. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Best Regards

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Another option is a Savage 110 in '06, .270, or some other caliber you might like, or the later 111 with Accu-trigger. Buy a 6.5x55 barrel and screw it on. Then you have two new rifles. grin

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Now you're talkin'! Clean forgot about needing a back-up. Must be gettin' older than I think! grin

_
_Pete Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
_
Wow, thanks for all the replies folks, that is some really helpful info!

The main reason I was looking at the 6.5x55 is its reputation of excellent killing power and penetration with mild recoil.

I already have rifles in .243, .308 and 7mmRM so I thought I would fill in a gap with something a bit different as a sort of 'project rifle'!

If the US brass has a slightly smaller head size than the Norma brass, does that mean it becomes a rebated rim setup?

Thanks.

Peter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With what you have already, I don't see much of a 'gap', except perhaps at the high-end - in which case you might consider something like a .338 WM or bigger. As for excellent 'killing power' with (relatively) mild recoil, the .308 does very well in that regard. If you really feel the 'need' for something 'inbetween', you might check on availability of .260 Rem or 7-08. The 7x57 should also be a good 'alternative' to the 6.5x55 in terms of heavy (for caliber) bullets with good penetration with (relatively) mild recoil. But again, with heavier bullets in the .243 and lighter ones in the .308 I don't see much of a 'gap' at all. Then again, one can always use a good 'excuse' for another rifle, and the 'challenges' in this case perhaps make the 'rifle project' more interesting. Enjoy!

Last edited by deadkenny; 01/04/09.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 79 invisible), 14,715 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,072
Posts18,541,338
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.