Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just finished Osa's book, Four Years in Paradise. I thought the book was pretty bland from a hunting point of view. This is not a quote but pretty typical of her writing. A rhino saw us and without warning charged headlong into us. I had to shoot it before we could continue on our safari. Little if anything would be detailed or added.

Don't get me wrong. I think Osa and her husband had a grand time in Africa with all their support of over 100 "boys" and all the money from the Eastmans, but her writing is without a spark of imagination for the reading hunter. Osa never captured my interest nor was she able to make me see, hear, smell, or feel Africa with her. Her shots at game provided little detail. Sometimes she talked about using her eleplhant rifle on a rhino but other than giving the caliber, never made me feel as though I was along with her when she pressed the trigger.

I have another of her books on order to read but I have to admit that I am not relishing it. She sure isn't a Capstick !

Rolly
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rolly,

Yes, I have to agree with you. Both of her books, I Married Adventure and Four Years in Paradise, aren't really that entertaining from a hunting perspective. Of the two books, I enjoyed Four Years in Paradise the most. Like you said, not much about hunting but the information about setting up camp for four years and filming the animals I did find of interest but mainly from a historical perspective.

I'm currently reading a biography of the Johnsons entitled They Married Adventure by Pascal James Imperato and Eleanor M. Imperato (still in print and available in soft cover from Amazon.com and other sellers). Due to my interest in the Johnsons, I'm finding it very interesting and informative. I'm not sure how much others would enjoy it.

One thing I did learn from They Married Adventure is that both of Osa's books were ghost written. I guess that has a lot to do with the writing style and quality.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't think either of her books was supposed to be hunting books, were they?

Mickey

"Instead of getting married again I am just going to find a women I don't like and give her a house"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, they weren't. The Johnsons were not really hunters in the sporting sense. Their main focus was making wildlife films and the promotion of those films.

-Bob F.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Plus she (or the ghost writer) wrote about things she did. They weren't trying to paint a word picture about things she didn't do.

In her case it's the adventure, not the details, despite how interesting they might have been.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Johnsons were first and foremost photographers, not writers or hunters. Osa evolved into the shooter on demand (groceries and protection). The facets I most enjoy are the logistics of accomplishing what they did. I'd much rather read her accouts than those of the modern painters who describe every component beginning with the cartridge, primer, powder, slug, action, barrel, scope, stock, gloves, shirt, camo pattern, hat, sunglasses.....etc all the way out to the airline, fuel provider, and plane they flew in on that we get from todays writers and media.

Most of those in the outback at the turn of the century were simply there to do a job and were not obsessed with the intricacies of their accomplishments. I.e. they were not there to print and sell books. Had they waxed elequontly on the xanthic reflections of morning dew drops and muted trills of bowery birds as the sun's corona peaked from behind Mt Kilimanjaro, one would not have time to read the 3 dozen volumes they could have generated.

I think Jim Corbett's writings on the man eater tigers is one of the finest hunting books ever drafted. It's probably also the epitome of understatement.

I suspect the writings and images of those early adventurers will always remain classics. I hope our great grand children don't end up viewing photos and videos of the now generation out and about with more labels on their person than a NASCAR driver and think " wow, those were the days." Few if any of today's writers will ever collect the experiences of those early travelers. That being, most today seem to borrow heavily from their predecessors.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/06/09.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

Do you have a copy of Osa's book Bride in the Solomons? Or are you just focusing on Africa?

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike,

No, I don't have that one. My main interest is their African trips. Of course, the biography I'm reading about them does cover the south Pacific trips (Borneo, etc). And I've read I Married Adventure which, of course, covers their non-African trips.

-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

If you would like a copy I have and old hard back that I picked up several years ago. It's in decent but not great shape. I admire you for your dedication on researching the Johnson's. That book should belong to someone like you instead of plugging a hole in my book shelf. Anyway, if you would like it PM me your address.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Mike,

No, I don't have that one. My main interest is their African trips. Of course, the biography I'm reading about them does cover the south Pacific trips (Borneo, etc). And I've read I Married Adventure which, of course, covers their non-African trips.

-Bob F.

Bob

I was blissfully unaware of Martin and Osa Johnson until your posting about the Mauser purchase. Since then I have been enthralled with their lives, bought and read "I Married Adventure" and the movie boxed set from the museum.

What a couple they were. I agree that the modern writers concentrate on pushing their sponsors, but that is after all what they are paid to do. A simple well written piece allows the imagination to fill detail and engage the participation of the reader.

Thanks for the intro to this lovely trend setting couple.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's a difference between writer's and shills.

On of the best writers currently is E. Donnall Thomas IMO. Not shilling anything but the outdoors.

Another of course is MD, shilling nothing but common sense.

Last edited by CRS; 01/07/09.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by medicman
Bob
I was blissfully unaware of Martin and Osa Johnson until your posting about the Mauser purchase. Since then I have been enthralled with their lives, bought and read "I Married Adventure" and the movie boxed set from the museum.

What a couple they were. ... Thanks for the intro to this lovely trend setting couple.
Randy

Randy,

Heck, you're very welcome! Looks you've become a Martin & Osa fan! I have the same boxed set of movies from the museum. It's fun to watch their old movies even though they may seem a little corny by today's standards. Considering when the films were made and the camera technology available to them, though, I think they did a great job.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,064
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.