Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I totally disagree.

I don't think its the cops jobs to shoot people. I think its their job to restrain.

I'm friends with 20+ cops, and we never agree on this.

Okay, so how do you restrain a person pointing a K98, bayonet affixed and very likely loaded, at you?

I'd really like to know that too!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's easy...you Id yourself as LE and shout "you are restrained"

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gentlemen,

The local report says nothing about this specific guy being observed by the cops, or any one else, firing. The report says someone was firing into the air.

Was the rifle shouldered? aimed? held at port arms? the presence of a rifle and a bayonet is insufficient to me to justify shooting unless it was aimed at the cops.

Watch what you ask for. Giving the police the power to shoot anyone holding a firearm puts all of us on the menu.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Gentlemen,

The local report says nothing about this specific guy being observed by the cops, or any one else, firing. The report says someone was firing into the air.

Was the rifle shouldered? aimed? held at port arms? the presence of a rifle and a bayonet is insufficient to me to justify shooting unless it was aimed at the cops.

Watch what you ask for. Giving the police the power to shoot anyone holding a firearm puts all of us on the menu.

Bayonet affixed to rifle. Shot already fired in the area, 911 call identifies rifle as one of the weapons. Dead guy has rifle, bayonet attached, at less than 30 feet from you; rifle likely loaded given the circumstances (i.e. 911 call, etc.), and refuses to drop the rifle.

How, exactly, do you restrain him?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
taser, shoot him in the leg, bean bags in a shotgun, mace.

John Stark.
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Shoot him in the leg = huge civil lawsuit. Not a good idea.
Taser? Good idea. Unless the rifle is pointed at you (which it well could have been).
Bean bags in the shotgun? Assuming you have one.
Mace? See taser solution.

Not saying it ain't possible, but you're assuming a LOT when you think that it's possible, and you're also assuming that such options were viable.

Change the scenario slightly: the rifle is now pointed at you and the suspect takes a step in your direction. Restrain them now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What if you don't have those things on your person, Taser, bean bag round?

You don't shoot an armed person in the leg, you just end up with a really pissed off armed person, who'll damn sure shoot back now. You could possibly end up with a barracaded subject or a hostage situation.

They sent four patrol officers to the call reference to shots fired, not a fully armed SWAT team, with a variety of things such as bean bag rounds or PC friendly munitions.

They went to check out the disturbance and was confronted with a threatening armed subject.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
I totally disagree.

I don't think its the cops jobs to shoot people. I think its their job to restrain.

Okay, so how do you restrain a person pointing a K98, bayonet affixed and very likely loaded, at you?

Couldn't agree more VAminrod, I think Walter only THINKS he's friends with 20+ cops if that is his opinion. Most cops I know prefer to go home at night.

I'm your Huckleberry. -Tombstone

Time flies like the Wind. Fruit flies like Bananas! -Unknown
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
taser,

No. They don't always work even if the darts contact skin.

shoot him in the leg,

No. Now he's just pissed and is going to shoot back.

bean bags in a shotgun,

No. IF you have one, then you have to hit him correctly. You miss, he shoots.

mace.

No. Police don't use mace anymore, they use pepper spray. Some people aren't even mildly bothered by it.

Any other useless solutions?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I totally disagree.

Well I guess that a fairly easy stance so long as your not the one out there actually doing the restraining.

Curious, when you say "we never agree on this" do you mean it is 20+ cops telling you you are nuts?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gentlemen,

You claim to have 20+ police friends. I'm calling BS. No one has that many police friends unless they pretty much are around the CJ system all the time. Anyone around the CJ system all the time would not have written what you did above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys, we're not going to agree on this, and you will not change my mind.

I don't think more people get shot by cops than when I was young because more people act dumb, I think its becasue we allow shootings by uniformed officers that would not have been allowed years ago.

BTW, where I live, the cops carry the bean bag shotguns in their cars specifically to disarm probable threats in a non-leathal manner. The Chief demands that they exhaust all avenues before discharging their primary weapon, if they can.

Knowing there were shots fired may or may not have changed the scenario. But one cops with a non-lethal shotgun and one with the real thing probably would have delivered a different result when they opened the door..

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I command a 160+ reserve unit with roughly 15% of the members uniformed police officers. The local chief is a personal frend, and I "hang out" with three cops, and am related by marrage to two, and my brother is one.

Not that that has anything at all to do with use of lethal force vs capture and restraint.

Last edited by David_Walter; 01/04/09. Reason: typos

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think more people get shot by cops than when I was young because more people act dumb, I think its becasue we allow shootings by uniformed officers that would not have been allowed years ago.

How are old are you, because at age 49 I strongly disagree with that statement.

I think today you have way more mentally ill people out on the streets rather in hospitals like it used to be, more younger people with more guns, more crime, more gang banging..I couldn't disagree more.

BTW, where I live, the cops carry the bean bag shotguns in their cars specifically to disarm probable threats in a non-leathal manner. The Chief demands that they exhaust all avenues before discharging their primary weapon, if they can.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find incidents where beanbags are used on a armed suspect pointing a weapon at officers.

Last edited by Barkoff; 01/04/09.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm 49, will be 50 in three weeks.

John Stark.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mac84
ignore is a wonderful thing.

You are right, how exactly do you use the ignore function. I've been looking but can't see the button.

The Real Hawkpiss needs to be turned off, Along with hisw bed queen Walter.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Hope you don't make it! Get terribly sick and Die, along with your buddy hawkpiss....

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Hope you don't make it! Get terribly sick and Die, along with your buddy hawkpiss....

Whoa, wtf?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sounds as if the chief in Walla Walla or one of the Tri-Cities is worried more about PC/media outcome. Then the safety of his officers.

Good officers have been killed trying to play the force continuum, to stay within Dept. policy, when deadly force would of saved their lives.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hitnrun, before I give up on you entirely, did you happen to read my response to your post in the Model 29 thread?

Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 3,277 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,963
Posts18,499,212
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.