Print Thread
Hop To
Page 106 of 1,842 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well I've plowed the road to camp chicken buck once this year but we've gotten a lot of snow since then. I'll bust a trail in there with the old plow truck soon though. A snowmobile weekend is soon in order.

buschy, i had no idea you did that.

had no idea you were that crazy.

grin

There is a lake north of Soudan MN, south of Ely called Mud lake.

There is a spot on the lake that would still have open water on the first of january.

When i was a kid they used to hold the annual "mud lake splash". this was a very poor excuse for what is currently known as watercross. probably closer to water skipping at best.

it was actually a tough man contest of sorts because it was rare that your sled would make it across so it usually meant a nice cold swim on new years day morning hung over or still drunk from new years eve party. The young guys would prepair there mud lake sleds like they were getting ready for a demo derby at a county fair. All kinds of tricks to the trade.

I have no idea if or when that event ceased to exist and I can only wonder how many old sleds are at the bottom of that lake or if they have since been removed.

Something clever here.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
i've heard of that ritual over that ways...it woudl be fun to get back out to chicken buck again. its still hunting season out there!! i raced on the water for about 6 years. what a rush that is. Now I had another bad afterthought about your new expy too dave, I didnt put it together that well, but i could have had you an 04' with 50,000 for 14,500. excellent shape as well. now i am kickin' myself for not thinkin bout that buggy then!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that's cool man, don't sweat it. our 03 is very nice, extreemely well cared for @ 90,000 new tires, no issues and we're in it for 9,9

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Most of the "lakes" around here are wide spots in the river because of the dams for the paper mills. I catch more fish in 2'-10' of water than anywhere. When you start to go deeper, we'll get the norhters and cats.

Even in Lake MI, the water will be 25' deep, but I'm catching fish at 5-18' on average.(trolling)

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone

Even in Lake MI, the water will be 25' deep, but I'm catching fish at 5-18' on average.(trolling)

Lake Michigan???

Tom - I was under the impression that you lived just across the MN border. If so that is a haul with a boat.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nah, we were out on Bermidji, we tried everything to locate them from a 4' rock pile out to the 28' mark. It really seems to depend on that lake.

Some guys are doing better in one spot about 16'-19' but they have so many houses there that the edge ones are off the flat and drop off.

I am just waiting for him to bring up his eelpout this year and get all curled up on.

I may have to teach him the 7up trick for poutin' tastes like lobster;)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ahhh water skipping. A good friend of mine bought a brand new Polaris 700 SKS. Beautiful sled (does anyone already know the ending to this story??). His buddies are water skipping up on Namakan or Sand Point or Crane or one of those up by the Ash River and he, being the responsible one decides to sit it out. The guys have their fun and my buddy just sits and watches. At the end, the guys come over and say, you have to do it once, cuz we are leaving and we are going the other way from the far side. Now a Polaris 700 SKS would be a really great sled for water skipping. So off they go and my friend takes off across it. He is having no problems. Then one of the guys comes over by him and spins water in his face. He raises his RIGHT HAND and closes his shield on his helmet. When he puts his right hand back down...he hits the kill switch and turns the motor off. RRRRRRRRrrrrrr......in 22 feet of water. He has to swim to shore. They fished it out with a grapling hook.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that hurts.

good friends.... good times.....

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Lake Michigan???

Tom - I was under the impression that you lived just across the MN border. If so that is a haul with a boat.

No sir.

I live in near Wausau. Right smack in the middle of the state. It is still a hike to Green Bay. About 100-150 miles depending on where we are going to fish.

Green Bay rocks in the summer time. BIG pigs come out of there. I've got them up to 32" long.

Once you fish out there, it makes it awfully hard to keep a 15" fish. Don't get me wrong, you don't pull 30's in hand over fist, but you sure as hell don't catch an 15"er...unless they're perch.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I just had to jump in and say Welcome to Daves ChickenBuck Boys,Girls,Wives,Husbands,Aunts,Uncles and Grandparents thread to MMGrave and HiHo77.. I miss out on 2 days of the posting due to being bogged down with work and my family events and u guys post 4 pages! I've got 3 down 1 to go, so I'm back to reading and Welcome aboard new guys!!!! wink wink wink

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Just started hunting deer the last 3 or 4 years. Still hunting, not killing. The last 2 years I've been hunting in southern Vermont.
Didn't get a shot this year, but spent a lot of time in the woods with a rifle. When I was a boy, I hunted birds a lot, but now I like rifles.
I generally hang around the Savage sight. My dad always liked the 99s so when I saw a 250 priced right I bought it and fell in love.
Picked up a black powder Knight last year and use that in season.
Dave mentioned a 220 swift he bought. Like to know who still makes them. I had one in a model 70 but sold it when I discovered women.
This is a great thread and I thought it could use some input from Conn. Keep it going, Bruce

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Welcome aboard! Lot of good guys and gals on here! You have to weed through some of the good natured BS sometimes but hey thats half the fun right?? grin

Rooster

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well HIHO,

Another leverlubber! A 99 Lover at that, I don't own a 99 yet but I WILL!!! Beautiful Rifles and if you haven't seen them you NEED to see the pics Ole Grogel Deluxe has put on the deer board in here over the last year or so of Old time hunters and 99's!

Myself I ate tag soup so far this year as I hadn't taken the proper time to shoot out past 100 yards to sight my 336 in so I shot a foot over a BigBoys back. I hadn't shot at a deer past a few feet in alot of years even with a rifle so I didn't feel the need. My mistake!!! Bow season is still open though until the 15th here so I'm headin to the woods this weekend God willing.

You guys talkin about breaking through ice with snow machines and pickups I know that feeling. Used to take my pickups out on the 3 foot deep ducklakes and let them break through the 8 inch ice and drive around to open a hole for the ducks. Wierd feeling until the truck hit bottom then hammer the throttle and start pushin breakin a hole. I finally tore up my 3rd pickup doing that and started huntin dry fields after iceup for ducks..lol Ofcourse this year I've only duckhunted once or twice as kiddo and I have been busy deer hunting and having a ball. Less work, more fun, and closer to home hunting. With her this year close to home huntin is all that counts for me anyway.

Now I want to know howmany pickups are at the bottom of some of those big lakes up north?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Welcome aboard.

Ya gotta be ok if you like the 99's. I've always liked them, but picked up my first one just a short while ago.

It is a good place. Glad to see you found us.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
hihobruce, wow, you had a model 70 in 220 swift? Dang that would have been cool, I sure like the M70's.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
OK everybody, special day today.

A certain "boy" turns 18 today.

Happy Birthday boy!!!! grin

I got somethin for ya, we'll have to get together sometime soon so I can give it to ya.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yes.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOY!

Went to send you B-day text this morning and realized my phone is at home on the counter. blush

It's is my oldest son's 11th birthday today as well.

Happy Birthday boys and many, many more!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A happy birthday indeed cool
Seems that someone is out growing his old name " The Boy " grin

Hope Dave and the rest of your family and friends can come up with a new handle that can stick with you for a while , at least until you " earn " something real goofy like 'swish " shocked

Happy 18th , enjoy these years and make the most of them , remember you only get one go around . Well, it may feel like more than that hangin with mr . Hold my beer and watch this , but you are in for a fun ride cool

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Happy B-Day Boy!!!

Time for Uncle Dave to get you a lap dance. blush

Last edited by tzone; 01/07/09.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep, Happy B-day to the The Boy.

I can only imagine what ND got The Boy....

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Page 106 of 1,842 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 16 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.