-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of these posts are hysterical.............

I know a guy with a 284 Win that claims speeds in excess of the 7mm RM. He bluntly tells me my 280 Rem ain't near the bullet thrower as his 284. I named the cartridge his gun shoots "The 284 Smith" - cause there ain't another like it on the planet.

I also shared a camp with a guy that claimed 3200 with his trusty Springfiled re-bored 8mm/06 shooting 200 gr something's. It didn't look like he had a 36" barrel but I've been wrong before wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fun thread.
Usta argue and perhaps try and talk reality some to these fellas but find it is far more entertaining and amusing to just listen and play along. Sometimes if you'll do that the stories/lies just get bigger and better as they progress with just a tad of encouragement. A few "wow's" and "no kidding's" can work wonders giving you stories you'll never forget.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hold over? Hold over my a$$- this is a magnum!

Those guys are fun to watch shoot.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by STILLHUNTINELK
Those guys are fun to watch shoot.

Only from a safe distance. And preferrably with some cover...

-Mb

Him that came down from the trees
C
cole_k Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Guys what I haven't told you is what he said after he saw my rifle and cartridge.
When he saw my rifle he ask me what it was. I said it was Ruger No. 1B.
As I removed the spent case, he then asked how I reloaded it for for my second shot. I said one cartridge at a time and that so far I had not needed a second shot with it.
When he saw the case he asked me what it was . I told him it was a .270 Weatherby. He then asked how fast it was. I said I was shooting was 130 gr Partition and it was traveling about 3400 fps.
He then said, �Daaamn, that little bullet in that big ol' case ought to go faster that that.�

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took a 'friend' or more like an aquaintance to a local small gun shop a dozen or so years ago whereupon he began to regale the whole crowd with stories of how his dad was shooting mule deer in Colorado 600 yards away, the deer on the dead run, holding dead on, with his .308. I was SOOOOO embarrassed to have brought this guy along..... He didn't LOOK like a moron when I first met him, but ya never know.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
regale the whole crowd with stories of how his dad was shooting mule deer in Colorado 600 yards away, the deer on the dead run, holding dead on, with his .308. I was SOOOOO embarrassed to have brought this guy along.

Man that's great. I'm going to do that to my father in law (with him as the centerpiece of the story). Gawd, he'll turn 6 shades of red and walk out on me. I guess I should offer to drive.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is funny stuff.

I work with a guy that shot a doe at a little over 400yards with his Remington ker-chunk gun, you know the pump, in 308 with the requisite see-through sights. He held straight on and dropped her in her tracks. All righty then!

Same guy claims you only shoot sabot slugs through smooth bore shot guns because the sabot spins the bullet down the bore.

He also has over 13,000 "rounds of ammo" in his house. Too bad he doesn't reload because they are all empty shotgun hulls and rifle brass.

Don't get me started on optics and how far the scope is good for because of the numbers on the objective. Those numbers are for aiming at those distances you know;)

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was kinda partial to the guy who told me his muzzle loader shot flatter than my 270wsm and he had just come back from his hunting trip where he downed a 10 pt. mulie at 500 yds holding dead on.
Oh yeah, with open sights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The front sight must have been real thin to see where to hold for that shot.

Those muzzle loaders burn 150gr of powder and their bullets are bigger than your 270wsm that's why its flatter and faster.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stop it! Stop it! You guys are killing me!!! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. grin grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sprint11
10 pt. mulie

! shocked

The only thing wrong with the 270....Its not a 25-06.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Probably the same guy that is counting Al Franken's ballots.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The thing that gets me is how ubiquitous information that refutes these crazy beliefs is now. I mean, most any given F&S/Outdoor Life/G&A or whatever would put all that crap to rest, nevermind something like an actual reloading manual. How can you be THAT ignorant in this age of information?

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Helped a fellow sight in his .300 Weatherby one day at "sight-in day" at the range. 'Bout halfway through the session he casually mentioned that his .300 was so fast that the bullet was still gaining velocity at 100 yards...

I told him I thought that was nice... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by muledeer
Helped a fellow sight in his .300 Weatherby one day at "sight-in day" at the range. 'Bout halfway through the session he casually mentioned that his .300 was so fast that the bullet was still gaining velocity at 100 yards...

I told him I thought that was nice... grin.

Dennis

Oh man that's funny!

One of the funniest moments of my life is when I was at the range in Sitka.. A know-it-all was telling my buddy and me all about rifles and how much experience he had. He sat down to shoot at the bench and put his eye about 1" from the scope. Just when I was thinking WTF, he pulled the trigger and scoped himself incredibly hard. My buddy and I couldn't contain ourselves. We still laugh ourselves to tears recalling that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One day at the range my buddy and I had pretty much finished dialing in what loads and rifles we wanted and were just playing with some of our varmint rifles when a guy sets up next to my buddy and proceeds to unveil his new long range killer, he had just bought a 300/378 Weatherby, after telling us about how far it will shoot, how much it and the Zeiss scope cost and all the other great things and anything else was just junk, he had no use for a 300 Win or 7 Rem as they were just toys. the muzzle blast was amazing, I could hardly stand it, so after a box and a half of shells he still couldnt get his Zeiss scoped rifle to hit the paper, so my buddy decided to help him, they did a few adjustments and he was to fire 3 rds, so I quickly grabbed my .300 win and fired when he fired a 3 shot group high and to the left on his target, so they were happy and clicked the scope over and so it went, chasing this group around untill I finally put a center group, wow they thought they had it so with 6 shells left at about 80 bucks a box he decided to change targets, let his barrel cool and give it his last 6 rds, well after 6 shots the new target never had a single bullet hole, he was mad and was going to take the whole thing back and get a new rifle, different caliber and scope as this was just junk, I know it was a dirty trick but guys like that are dangerous in the field with cannons they cannot shoot, he at best needed a 270, plus his I can buy success, my dog is better crap really is what made me do it, kinda fun playing with some of the yocals from time to time, told my bud on the way home as he didnt know I was doing it, we had a good laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've run into a few people like described in the above posts. I think maybe 2 of them were at the firing range. I used to shoot at mostly private ranges, so I didn't meet any at those. Public, I have, now I just stay clear of the younger crowd. I have a friend, that I had to teach that his 7mm Rem MAg was not the greatest or fastest round in the world. A good emabarrasment usually takes care of a lot of these characters.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Back in December a fellow at the range asked me what I was shooting on the 300 yard line. When I told him a 308 he asked isn't that kind of stretching it? I just said not really and went about my shooting. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot the 150's in my 7mag for about 5 years now and I didn't know they were 1200 fps slower than the 140's. No wonder I miss all my 1200 yard shots.
I do have a problem with the 150's holding together at almost any distance, that's why I am changing.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,828
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.