Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

I have been out of Bowhunting for a while, & was thinking about a few Bowhunting books I may want to sell.

Is there a "web site", where a person can find out how much bow hunting books would be worth ?

one is "in pursuit of trophy whitetails" by Roger Rothhaar

another is "Bowhunting Rutting Whitetails" by Gene Wensel. the only one I can find by Gene Wensel is "Hunting Rutting Whitetails" , but mine says Bowhunting. he signed it
(11/16/81) , when I bought the book, & his tree stand. The stand, which was advertized holding a hanging Volkswagen, & I use it every yr.

thanks for any help

Gene
GB1

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I don't know much about the Rothaar book but the Wensel book is pretty desireable. I think it has been out of print for 20 or so years. I have a copy, also signed by Gene, that is the revised third edition published in 1986. The first year it was published was 1981 so yours must be a first edition and "Bowhunting Rutting Whitetails was probably changed to "Hunting Rutting Whitetails" in the latter editions. I have seen copies of this book go for as much as $100.00. The book was ahead of it's time and was one of the first to identify a lot of different whitetail behavior. Your post brought back memories of that ad with the VW Bug hanging suspended from the treestand. That was really an impressive ad. I didn't remember that the Wensels were associated with that stand.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'd go to e-bay and search for the titles, and specifically in the closed or completed auctions, to give you an idea of what they actually sold for, not what they may have been listed for.

Might also go to Amazon.com and see if there are any for sale there to give you some idea of price.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

thanks to both of you for the replies/sugggestions.

guess they are worth a few pennies.

now I need to find some one to buy them.

was suggested that www.abebooks.com, gave prices. can't image the Gene Wensel book would go that high, but it's brand new.

on the tree stand, that was 30 yrs. ago, & I know I bought it at the same show/presentation Gene Wensel had, but I can't say for sure , he sold it to me.

again thanks for the info.

Gene
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Chest,

I'd be interested in those books. I know both Gene and Roger well. The treestand you are talking about is a Screaming Eagle. Paul Brunner actually came up with and sold the stand. They are still making them in Montana and are the most solid stand ever built. They are also built like a tank and not much fun to carry in and out every day.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

SteveO,

thanks for the memory jolt.

yea!, I remeber now it was a "Screaming Eagle" tree stand, & Paul Bruner. remember the picture of him. that was 27 yrs. ago. If I remember correctly, they made two different sizes. I got the large on.

what I really like about it, once up, you can stand any place on it, front edge, side edges, etc. & it doesn't move or squeek. I have shot over 70 deer off mine.

don't know of any negatives about it, except maybe wt. , but that's so incidental conpared to the rest of it.

Since I have lost contact with a lot of Archery, do you know if "trails End" still makes bows. I ordered a custom one from Trails End, I think it was made by a guy, Dale Eagle, or Eadle ????.

I received it the day before I hike the Applichain trail, in 1990. took 6 months to hike it, & when I came back, after I finished it, before I shot it, I hurt my sholder playing pick up basketball. took over 9 months to fix that, & I seemd to lose interest in Archery by then.

I'm going to send you a PM about the books, & what other Archery stuff I have.

thanks again, for the memory jolt.

Still have the bow. will have to look at it.

Gene

Gene
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Dale Dye up in Hamilton, MT made the custom Trails End bows back at that time. He made a really good take down recurve bow. I'm not sure if he's still making bows or not.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gene--I've got LOTS of info for you; need to get to computer instead of this phone!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

I got the bow out & took a few pictures of it.
Your right, it's Dale Dye. just had to put my glasses on.
I re-examinated the bow, a real pice of work. he is quite a craftsman. It will probably remain un-shot, as I don't know if I can pull it back now.

I remember sending him a sketch of my hand print when he made it.

hey! this is like getting "old people's "disease" grin , enjoy the magic moment again.

He inscribed on the bow: 61# @ 29 inches, custom 62"

custom made for Gene Dietrich 90, Dale Dye

has a Delta Series III quiver

you mentioned, take down.

here are a few pictures of it. I don't know if the bolt -limb to riser is a takedown.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gene
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gene,

Dale Dye is still making bows. They are still one of the top custom bows and are VERY desireable. Dale is old school and that bow you have is not much different than the ones he is turning out today. That bow is worth at least $700.

There were actually 3 Screaming Eagle versions; the Easgle was standard, the Eaglet was the mini version, and the Hoss slipped into a chain on bracket so you could have many stand sites pre set for the one stand.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

Steve,

I guess I have the standard Screaming Eagle. As I said, I think it's the best. Do they advertize the stands ?

did you get carried away on your zero's, saying "at least $700.00" Did you mean mine, or a new one made by Dale ?

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

wouldn't take much arm twisting on me for that kind of money.

again thanks for all the info.

Gene

Gene
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a Screaming Eagle. Seems like Paul wrote a book on tree stand hunting, I had a copy but can't seem to find it.

I owned a bunch of bows over the years, but my Schafer Silvertip was the best. I foolishly sold it in '93 not knowing about Paul's death. He was the real deal...

I just sold most of my older bowhunting books including a copy of Jay Massey's book "The Bowyers Craft". I still have a copy of "One Man's Whitetail" that Gene Wensel gave to me in '88.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.