Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Why no or little mention of Styer rifles here. What are the pro's and con's of these rifles. How do they compare to the sako's, tikka's, Abolts,or remchester's???

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never heard of them.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
because they cost a zillion dollars and are rare in the states.

-Matt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and deys butt ugly, Europeans have different tastes than us rednecks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cliff444
and deys butt ugly, Europeans have different tastes than us rednecks.

Beauty is in the I of the beholder.
I think it has a lot to do with their strange looking twisted barrels and their cost.

Last edited by cole_k; 01/10/09.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They might be ugly to most but I happen to love the way they feel and did I mention they will shoot like no other factory rifle made IMHO. I have three that shoot sub moa and know several people that own one as well and they all say the same thing as me. As a matter of fact if the price on them had not sky rocketed I would probably own one or two more. The rednecks here in SE Tennessee will buy them as fast as you can get them especially for the same price as a Remington, Ruger, Tikka or Browning!

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lot of Rednecks in Alabama own them as well and love them. Great rifles hard to get a hold of nowadays.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
DM on all of them, yes?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How many ya want. CDNN has a bunch, in any caliber, all the time. If they sold all that well, CDNN wouldn't have 'em. They have mostly discontinued and overruns.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I suspect it's because one seldom finds an outlet that has any in stock. 1Minute

1Minute
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
what is the FK are you guys taking about price?
you buy a remington, pull the barrel and rebarrel it, true up the action, flute the bolt, refinish the thing then drop it into a mcmillan stock and scream about it shooting 1/2" groups.
i buy a steyr scope it and shoot half inch groups.
look at gunbroker, gunsamerica, auction arms and youll find one cheap but you have to stay on top of it.

Last edited by ringworm; 01/11/09.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
S......St............Who????

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Used police SSGs sell well around here in Kentucky, but you never, ever see a sporter on the racks in the Kentucky shops. When the Scout rifle was introduced, there was one shop that had a couple, they took so long to sell that he refused to restock them, let alone any other models, including the SSGs.
Price point sells, and Steyr was "off" on that point.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Few more points.

Steyr abandoned the fine Mannlicher rifles which made their name here and elsewhere. As winchester found with their dumping of the pre-64 Model 70, you cannot hold your customer base by ignoring what they want.

The distributorship has changed so often -- since the Stoeger day-- that it has ben hard year to year to even locate their US-based firm. You cannnot make a respectable dent in a foreign market w/o constant presence and consistent hard work to sustain contacts, make right any scew-ups etc...

Ringworm is more right about the cost issue than he stated cuz an out of the box Steyr on the used market is going to bring back a helluva lot more of its original cost than the high $ custom Rem 700 ever will. (Even if their bolt handles stay on.)

1B

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How many ya want. CDNN has a bunch, in any caliber, all the time. If they sold all that well, CDNN wouldn't have 'em. They have mostly discontinued and overruns.

I know I snagged a Forester in 7mm-08 from them. Not the same as finding them in any gunstore. Dealer near my house has one in 7 Rem mag in the Camo stock and I was startled to find them there.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
what is the FK are you guys taking about price?
you buy a remington, pull the barrel and rebarrel it, true up the action, flute the bolt, refinish the thing then drop it into a mcmillan stock and scream about it shooting 1/2" groups.
i buy a steyr scope it and shoot half inch groups.
look at gunbroker, gunsamerica, auction arms and youll find one cheap but you have to stay on top of it.

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i bought 2 of the sbs when they came out in the 90s a 25-06 and a 376 steyr. i could never get either to shoot well for me. i tried factory ammo and reloads. for what they sell for id rather go with a remington or ruger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I first found out about the Steyr's while working in a friends very large gun store for about three years on and off when he needed extra help. When we first got the Steyr Prohunters in stock a lot of people held them but would not buy them because most had never heard of them. The price at that time for a blued Prohunter was $495.00 IIRC which was a lot less than the Sako's, Remingtons, Brownings,Weatherby's and Rugers. I had a Browning Stainless Stalker in a .308 and decided I wanted to try the Prohunter so I traded for the Steyr and put a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 on it. The first trip to the range convinced me that the Steyr's was a steal for $500 and was in a league by itself for a production rifle. I used 150gr Hornady Light Mag. ammo and once on paper the first three shots were 3/4", I sighted in 1 1/2" high at 100yds and then shot it at 200yds the first shot had center punched the orange dot and the next two put my 3 shots at just under a inch. I then took it back to the gun store with the targets to show everyone. I would usually take my gun into the store on days I worked so when a customer would ask what is the most accurate gun you have in here I would show them my targets and the gun. The Steyr's sold like hot cakes after that and several of the employees bought one as well. I never had a customer come back and say they didn't like it or it wouldn't shoot, in fact most came back in and thanked me and said you were right I will never get rid of that gun it shoots way better than I can. About three years later the Steyr's importer changed and they became a little harder to get plus the import tax on firearms went out the roof and the Prohunters that we bought for $500 went to $800.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm more than happy with my Model M Professional in .270W. Never owned a more accurate rifle. Doubt I ever will.

My Mannlicher Schoenauer 1956 MC in .30-06 is a true work of art that also performs very well for a 20" tube and full wood.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Their new safe to whatever system is Gay!!!!They are the same as any Rifle now a day.Made as cheap as possible .They did not used to be that way.I do not know how the new ones shoot as to me they are butt ugly.I will keep my 1952 M&S 30-06 .Those were quality Rifles.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.