-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 109 of 1,842 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 1841 1842
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man tzone, we must have most of the singing coyotes in the southern part of the state. They get my dogs riled up and all heck breaks loose. In the summer with the windows open, I sounds like there in the driveway. Its very rural where I live, that may be why. Maybe city yotes can't sing well!!

When the pups are born they become real musical.

Poke some holes in some this weekend.

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm out of town a bit, maybe 5 miles, but live in a subdivision with about 30 houses in it. There is a large corn field behind us and a good sized gravel pit behind there. Most of the time, I hear em in the pit.

When they get wound up...the dog starts a whinin'. grin She damn near flips inside out. Kinda funny to watch.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
When they start up at my place my lab runs half way down the driveway and barks her fool head off like she's so tuff. Then she'll run back to the garage and listen and then run back down and WOOF WOOF WOOF then back to the garage. It's pretty comical.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Nothing better then seeing a Yote come to the call.. Make sure you don't have the volume to high for the first 5 minutes or so after that gradually increase the volume SLOWLY. You'll blow them out if they are close with loud calling right away. Make sure your completely concealed and or have your outline brokenup by sitting in the middle of some buckbrush or up next to a ceder or pine. Never hurts having a quiver rabbit off to your side about 20 yards to keep the attention on it and not you when you ready for a shot. Some people even use small dogs like red doxins which are trained to run back and forth.

I've called in several yotes and usually its time to move if you haven't seen one in the first 30 minutes, only once did I sit for over an hour and have anything come in. Got Bob the kitty that time! Keep both rifle and 12 ga handy also keep calling after you shoot and look for more usually they hunt in pairs or more and get another shot at another yote right away as he looks for his buddy.

Try PredatorMasters.com for other helpful info. Good Luck on the Yotes CaptainBangflop and my campfire friends..

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Dave,
Its been a pleasure reading about the camp and the rest of the stories. Its been a 5 day journey. Brings back a lot of memories for me of my teen age years. Although I didn't have a deer camp my brother and I would hunt squirrels and rabbits in the 200 acres behind our property in Alabama. It was him who took me on my first hunt when I was 11 and showed me how to sit and watch the big old oak trees for movement. This thread has strengthened my resolve to start Elk and Deer hunting out here in Colorado.

God Bless you and your family.

Jim

Jim
Honorably Discharged Veteran 1987-1998
[Linked Image]
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Welcome aboard Captmdnght. This is quite a thread, isn't it. Dave's quite a guy too.

Funny, about a year ago, he didn't think this thread would last this long, and here we are at over 2000 posts.

There are a lot of good dudes on here, some may give ya a bit of a hard time, but mostly they're just goofing around. Of course, if you read this whole wagon train of a thread, you already know that.

Nice to see you post.

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow thanks Jim.

Very nice of you to say, glad you posted & I hope you stick around.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another new member posts first on Dave's thread.

Welcome!

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
do any fishing this weekend craig?

I'm mourning the loss of my favorite pocket knife.

donated to the bottom of Lake of the woods.

down the hole it went yesterday. nice little buck folder clip knife with the assisted opening type blade. damn it!! frown

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did. Just out in front of my house here on Island. Thinking about ripping out again tonight. Need another walleye for Tuesday night dinner. I get to cook on Tuesday nights on account of my complaints about supper a week ago Sunday. Just got back from a quick trail trip to fill up the sled gas. Lake still slushy - need your wits about you!

Your pocket knife reminds me of the time my kid knocked my cell phone into Red Lake. We were in a portable just feet from a friends. Kiddo and his little girl buddy came to visit me, unzipped and asked if they could come inside. I said sure, be careful of my....

I swear just them the kid backhanded my cell phone off a bucket and into a hole. Up to the armpit I went and grabbed the dang thing right before the bottom of the ice!

Had the presence of mind to instantly turn it off. Waited four or five days, turned it back on, worked like a champ.

Until the following weekend when I tried to answered the phone and dropped it down another hole. To Davey Jones locker this time she went. Arghhhhh!

So I go to Cell 2000 in Bemidji and explain the story,. She says, "Do you have any idea how many cell phones there are on the bottom of Red Lake?" grin That reminds me of the time I ran a cell phone through my snow blower....... For another time.

Craig

Wood is Good.
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Welcome to Another 1st poster, Another Captain at that!!! Grab another log for the fire and sit awhile.

Mid 40s here today, hard to imagine ice fishing right now. Been in and out of the shop working with a teashirt on! You guys shouldn't feel bad about losing a knife or a phone, I watched a buddy drop a Citori over under by Browning in the bottom of the river while duckhuntin once..lol I've lost a few knives,calls and shells in the same manner too. blush

I should be bowhunting this last weekend for me to be off but have been washing up and repainting snow goose decoys. It's almost time for thier return trip north, Kiddo and I are chompin at the bit.

So whats the temps up north this weekend?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We got above zero for the highs this weekend but it sounds like some real cold stuff srttling in this week now.

damn i miss that knife, i must have reached for it 6 times today.... dang it.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My kids got a big ole whankin open assist pocket clip pig sticka. I'm partial to the Swiss Army type with a little scissors and a phillips head screw driver. Found it at about the Arctic Circle fishing big Northerns. Actually, the boy found it under the seat of a Alumarine Canadian boat.

Since he had just almost cut his pinky off with a little pocket knife, I rubbed it in by keeping the Swiss Army.

Now he packs a big ole open assist locker pig sticka. Go figure.

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
this one wasn't that big.

buck called it the "rush"

Something clever here.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Any of you guys use a hand held GPS at the deer camp (gotta stick to the theme here) Thinking of getting one. Bruce

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm pretty sure I'd be divin for a citori. That a lot of money to sit on the bottom of the lake.

temps here were about 15 above today. Not looking so good for the rest of the week. High of 5 or so.

HH77: I do use a handheld GPS. Mostly I use it for scouting, so if I find a good spot, I can get back to it again. I did use it fishing once before I had it on my locator. It saved our azzes. It got real foggy on a spring day. Luckily I was screwing around with it at the ramp and marked the ramp before we left. We needed it to get back.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A few years back my ex(now) son-in-law worked as a manager for Bass Pro Shops.While Chuck Buck was making a promotional tour the ex SIL got him to electro engrave the blade of a Buck Meritor fixed blade "To Stan from Chuck Buck".It was my Christmas present that year.I've never used it.Damn,I miss that boy.Only half way normal SIL I ever had.
Overcast here all day.Linda has a bad bad cold which she has most generously passed on to me.
Welcome to all of the new guys here.Great place to be.Took 5 days to read it all,huh?This thread definitely has a life of it's own.Going on 100,000 views.WOW!

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
My garmin GPS is the "map 76" model, quite dated by now but I use it elk hunting, fishing & also deer hunting. Very handy.

Something clever here.

Hey sorry to hear about that knife that the big lake took from ya dave. lol

I just got in from yote huntin with my buddy. I called in my first yote tonight and put the smack down on it with the .243, very exciting.

Then on our way back to my buddies house we spotted a pair of yotes on a line of haybails about 200 yards off the road. My buddy jumped out and toppled one right off the bail with his .223.

"The Boy"
Hey ND are you gonna be around next weekend?
Im itchin to get back up there and do some fishin.

"The Boy"
Page 109 of 1,842 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,436
Posts18,489,374
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.