-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, she wants a 'bigger' rifle and has been thinking she wants a lever-action...

We had the opportunity to let her try a Marlin 336/.32 Special w/scope; and a Browning Model 81/.308 w/o scope w/straight-grip for size.
She liked the Browning hands-down.

Can you help me with some pix, ideas and opinions on this firearm?
Much obliged...

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
GB1

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I hunt with alot with a bl-81 .358 and Marlins in .356 and 45-70. I like the Marlins a little better. I'm a little bias. I have more Marlins than a sane man would have. The Marlins feel better in my hand. I like it that they're made in the USA, and not Japan. The action is far simpler than the BLR. The Marlins are usually more affordable. The Marlins come in tons of models, including some with straight stocks,if that's what your daughter liked, with bbls from 16-24". I don't care for the thick Finnish and course checkering on the Browning wood. All that said, the Browning's a compact levergun that's available in alot of interesting calibers. 257 Roberts, 284 Win, .358, ect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lozen
I don't care for the thick Finnish . . .

What do you have against fat Finns? grin

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had one in a 257 Roberts years ago. I really liked it, but I bought it for my mom to use and she couldn't get used to the exposed hammer so sold it and bought a bolt action. It was very slick and as accurate as most bolt guns. The trigger wasn't great, but how many are. The nice thing about them is you can use spitzer bullets and higher pressure rounds. Of course now Marlin has the 308 and 338 now too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife has been shooting her BLR 308 for several years, and there's noway anybody will talk her into something else....
Its original style Miroku made and shoots really well with its favorite loads.
I shortened the stock so the length of pull better fit her.
I know of several women that shoot the blr's in the variuos styles, most of them are chambered in 308, but I can't help think the 7mm-08 might really be a dandy in that rifle.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I agree with Ranch that the 7mm-08 would be a dandy for her. Light recoil, not too heavy and a darn good deer rifle. I know afew gals, and some guys that love them.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We talked about it last night again and she wants to try the pistol-gripped version as well as the straight-grip.

I prefer to stick with .308 to avoid adding a caliber/cartridge to the inventory, so that's what it'll be.

We just have to find a gunshop with the models she wants to handle and then we'll order something.
I asked her again about the Marlin and she really doesn't care much for it, so I won't ask again...! grin
If I spend the money on another Browning, I want it to be a jewel that she'll love to have forever and something special and unique. The take-down version is the direction I'd like to go.
BLR Lightweight Takedown
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well obviuosly if she turned down the Marlin she's got some pretty good taste. grin

Just remember this is going to be her rifle, and if you really think the takedown version is what YOU want then get you one, and let her have the 708 in solid frame if thats what SHE wants.
That way if it's the rifle she chooses it will last her the rest of her life, and probably start her kids out on that rifle.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good point. I'll talk it over with her.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yep.. Go with the Browning. I've got a 71, Belgium, in .308 and love it to death. She aint as pretty as she used to be but it gets the job done..

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Go with the pistol grip she will be able to hold on to it better. The lever may be hard on her hand during recoil with the straight grip. Get a trigger job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The BLR's are already fairly small (short) handy rifles - why would you want the takedown version? If you need to pack one for any reason, just remove the rear stock from it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad has BLR's in .308 and .358 bought in the 70's. I shot my first buck with the .308 and my youngest son shot his first buck with the same BLR last year.

They have been great rifles and this is from a die hard Marlin lever fan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Belgian Browning BLR in .308 that's been bouncing around our family for 25 years or so. Dad and I have used it, as has my oldest son. I think the youngest son is going to use it this year for hunting black bear. It's well made, reasonably accurate and easy to shoot.
[Linked Image]

My oldest son was pretty young when he first shot it and much preferred the downloaded 150 gr ammo I made for him instead of the 165 grain full-power loads. A friend also has one, that he had re-bored to .358 Win - he's used it to take a mess of elk over the years.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I got one for my wife years ago. I watched her slip with the hammer once after emptying the rifle. hammer fell on an empty chamber thank goodness.

but it was an eye opener.

I've got her using a bolt action with 3 position safety now.

I feel much better about it as does she.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive used a BLR in both 257 rbrts and 358WIN for many years, Ive got nothing but great memories from both carbines

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,882 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,334
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.