Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Check out this past month's edition of Bugle magazine. They did a two page plug on the guys who "invented" Sitka.

I'm sure they intended it to be a promotion for Sitka. To me it was "hey, all this has been there done that, lets put a fancy camo pattern on it and market the [bleep] out of it to hunters."

PS. If you're not a member of the RMEF, you should be.

PPS. No disrespect to Sitka. I'm sure they build a quality product. I have never owned one.

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I also own the 90% jacket and Mountain pants.I am selling the 90% jacket for a number of reasons.It is a soft shell and the first one I had ever owned.For my hunting it doesn't fit the bill.I hunt whitetails up close and personal and the material creates more noise than what I am comfortable with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found that the 90% jacket will not keep you warm in the cooler temps. I wore mine from middle of Sept through the middle of Nov archery hunting moose and as long as I was moving I was fine but if I didn't have a layer of fleece underneath while sitting/glassing, I would have froze. It's good stuff in the milder temps but not worthy in the colder stuff.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ak,

That sounds typical of most soft shells I've used. I personally wouldn't want one with much insulation, it would be too hot for most of my uses. I often wear one when hiking, with just a base layer, then add insulation under or over it as needed.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have Sitka Gear's Bivy 45 pack and I am impressed with it.
Very comfortable, good load carrying capability, and seems quite water proof.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Any of you with the Sitka 90% panst also own any mounteneering pants made of Schoeller dryskin?

Curious how the 90% fabric compares to the Schoeller Dryskin?

BTW- If any of you want the absolute best pants for hiking get a pair made with the dryskin fabric.

Last edited by LongDraw; 01/08/09.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
I'm not Kenai, but if camo isn't important, I think Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Marmot, Cloudveil, Mountain Hardware, and Arc'teryx among others make some great comparable gear. There's more selection, and deals are easier to find. Plus, it isn't camo, which is usually a plus for me.

Add Mammut to that list. Kenai and Carl are right on.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I also agree with the last post, and camo is really of limited significance. And yes, I bowhunt. Not that it isn't pretty good stuff, but I've noticed the Sitka gear is the Abercrombie and Fitch for today's hunters.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I've got the 90% Jacket and pants. Works great for me here in Colorado. The vented pockets and pit zips are fantastic. I tend to run hotter than most, but if I'm moving, I can wear it with lightweight polypro underneath and be comfortable well into the twenties.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Unlike many here who have posted, I actually own the stuff and have used it since it first came out. I could not be happier with all that I own. Don't know about the current offerings as it seems that they have changed a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont think a single person said it wasnt good hunting gear. Just you could get better for the same price. I had the 90% jacket and thought it was a good jacket but as far as softshells I have better. I gave my uncle that jacket and he likes it.

Like many have said its just expensive and other companys make a better jacket for the same or less money.

I have a simms jacket the virtually the exact same as the 90%. I would bet they are even made in the same factory. It was $125 bucks.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I agree that it is expensive, but, it's a steal compared to mos of the Arc'teryx line, the Mammut Champ pants (which I have owned) and many of the others. I also own/use Cabelas Microtex pants and shirt-but would stop way before saying it is as good as the Sitka gear that I own. The problem for me is that Sitka has changed the gear so much, I have no idea what I am recommending anymore. JMHO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost every one of the alternatives listed, or in production, are NOISY as hell compared to Sitka. Especially REI products.

Noisy clothes are a deal breaker for me.

If I could find real mountain stuff which is quiet I would buy it.

I like Sitka a lot and have hunted hard in it. Minimalist.

But, I was pissed two pairs of loves cam apart on me.

S
S
I have some of the 07' stuff. Mountain pants, vest, 90% jacket, and the 08 base layers. I like it. It's plent quiet, very comfortable, and breaths well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cabelas has a lot of their Sitka gear on sale in the Bargain Cave.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.