Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Hawk - Regarding bobbing the hammer on your S&W. You have a hammer that is case hardened carbon steel that has been hard chromed. When you bob the hammer, to make it all match, you'll have to have the hammer hard chromed again. When you do that, you have to do the action work after the re-hard chroming.

To do the hard chrome right (and let's home it's only done right), the existing chrome has to be removed, so you don't have tolerance stacking. Removing chrome is a PIA and they will charge for that.

You may find it cheaper to pick up a case hardened hammer for a blued K frame, and then have the work done with that hammer installed in the gun.
Good point. Might have to do that instead, then.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I see them from time to time, they've been showing up lately as owners are trading them for EBR's. My son and I have a couple of 64's and 65's so configured (not for sale).

What I'd like to find (along with a few thousand others) is a 10-6 in .357 (1200 made) at a steal smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There are a lot of good revolvers should should do the job for what you are looking for besides the 13 and 65, as mentioned the 10, 64 which is still being produced but in the 38+P version, but also the GP100 has a 3" version, SP101 has a 3" version but also the Ruger Security Six, Speed Six, and Service six with 2-3/4" barrels. Both Blue and Stainless. But all these guns are certainly popular right now and you will pay dearly for some of them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I intend to have the hammer spur lopped off of mine, but see no advantage in going the extra step of converting the action to DAO. Is there any advantage to this? Does it allow for an even smoother double action or something? What's the upside?

I feel the action is smoother, and if nothing else, it pretty much forces you to concentrate on double action shooting. For a close in combat revolver, thats the way I want to train.
For me, a three inch fixed sight revolver is not ever going to be used for metallic silhouette, so why do I need a hammer and the ability to shoot single action?

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I intend to have the hammer spur lopped off of mine, but see no advantage in going the extra step of converting the action to DAO. Is there any advantage to this? Does it allow for an even smoother double action or something? What's the upside?

I feel the action is smoother, and if nothing else, it pretty much forces you to concentrate on double action shooting. For a close in combat revolver, thats the way I want to train.
For me, a three inch fixed sight revolver is not ever going to be used for metallic silhouette, so why do I need a hammer and the ability to shoot single action?
The only revolvers that I ever do much single action shooting with are the big N-Frames, because I see them as primarily hunting arms, with the added ability to fire double action in case of emergency. Anything smaller I view in just the opposite way, i.e., primarily intended to be fired double action, but capable of single action fire for the rare case where longer range precision work is called for.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,058
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.