Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Folks:

Happy 2009!

I'd like to thank John Barsness again for his latest exclusive column for the Campfire, "Seating Bullets Straightly." This is the place to ask John questions about the column.

For those who have not received it via email, here's a link to sign up:

And here's a link to this month's column:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/January_2009.html

Here's December's:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/December_2008.html

Here's November's:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/November_2008.html

And here's October's:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/October_2008.html

Don't forget to check out John's (and Eileen's grin) other stuff at http://www.riflesandrecipes.com. Eileen's fabulous cookbooks are a staple in our house! wink I highly recommend them.

Thanks again, John, and Happy New Year to all!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
John,

Have you found that the "floating" type expander ball (Lee Dies) to be more forgiving in the area regarding your article on seating bullets straightly?

It would seem the floating expander ball would naturally center itself.

Thanks.

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
John,

I haven't gotten through the first page and I've already found something neat. Your pass thrown by a ten year old quarterback analogy for precession draws a great picture of the effect. I'll be using it in future handloading conversations, with attribution of course.

mathman

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ought6,

A floating expander ball does help, but I suspect the big problem (at least most of the time) is the case being pulled a little sideways out of the die.

Some dies can even be "adjusted" to float the expander ball. I do this all the time with Redding and RCBS dies, by just backing off the expander stem a little, leaving it loose in the threads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mathman,

Thanks! That's part of the job, but it's always good to hear when I'm getting it right....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
John,

I recall that you mark the die boxes "good" if the die sizes cases straight, less than .002" runout. I've taken to writing "good" around the outside edge of proven shellholders as well. If the upper and lower surfaces of the slot that holds the case rim are machined true then they'll help push/pull cases straight. I don't actually measure this slot of course, I'm just going by the brass that gets sized and measured for runout.

mathman

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
An excellent idea. I have had very good luck with the Redding Competition shellholders (I believe they are caled), the ones that come in slightly varied heights to "adjust" for headspace when sizing brass. In fact I have had very good luck with Redding stuff in general.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In regards to seating dies, have you found that the Lee die, which claims to be 'floating' for the seating stem also, to actually work as advertised?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Some dies can even be "adjusted" to float the expander ball. I do this all the time with Redding and RCBS dies, by just backing off the expander stem a little, leaving it loose in the threads.

+1 JB.

When I was learning how to setup dies I read your Factors in Accuracy, Part II:Handloads about 4 times. Very helpful information, learned in a couple hours what would taken years on my own.

The 'pushing the expander method' works very well with a Redding die. Gets neck runout down from +.010" into the .002-.004" range. I can get away with floating an RCBS expander and get excellent results.

Djpaintless also encouraged me to purchase a concentricty gauge and I couldn't imagine reloading without one now.

After all, the best part of reloading is shooting little groups!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, I have been using Lapua brass even though it's expensive. I initially bought it for my 6.5x55 because I didn't want the hassle of possible case head fit problems. Lapua manufacturing quality supposedly makes it less prone to excessive runout. Have you used Lapua brass and tested it for runout? Thanks.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dakota,

Yes, in my experience the lee dies work as advertised.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sam,

Yeah, it's amazing not only to shoot tiny groups, but do it again and again!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
43Shooter,

Yes, I have used Lapua brass in several calibers, and it is generally the most consistent brass in any caliber.

John Steinbeck
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John:

I'll agree, reading the Factors in Accuracy, Parts I and II many times is a great source of info.

I noticed Hornady has a concentricy tool out now that has a feature to reduce the run-out. Have you had a chance use one? It would seem like the best option would be to fix the problem a little more upstream, rather than at the end.

Scott

RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John:

What about the Forster sizing dies with their expander balls way up toward the top of the stem? It's supposed to minimize the chances of the expander introducing problems with the neck. Any experience with whether, or not, those claims are true? On the surface, the idea seems solid.

Thanks,
Scott

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SWJ,

Yeah, I saw the press release on the Hornady tool, which seems like a great idea. I just haven't had seen one yet.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RSY,

The Forster dies do seem to help, if only because the case doesn't have as much chance to tip when being pulled over the expander ball. But the most consistent sizing dies I've tested have been the Lee Collett and the Redding S-types, because they push the neck down ONLY.

Actually the best sizing dies are those where the case just goes in amd comes out, with the neck sizing done by the die itself. Unfortunately these only work really well if the neck thickness is very consistent. This is true in benchrest shooting, because the necks are turned--but not in most shooting.

Once in a while you can run into a perfect combination of die and brass. My .300 H&H die (RCBS) perfectly matches the neck thickness on my lot of Winchester brass. I just run the brass into the die WITHOUT the expander ball assembly, and it comes out perfectly straight and sized correctly, with just enough neck "shrinkage" to hold bullets firmly.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Once in a while you can run into a perfect combination of die and brass.

May I add "and chamber" to the die and brass?

I load for a friend's Low Wall in 260 Rem. and we're blessed with that situation. The ordinary RCBS two die set I had him buy at the gun show where he bought the rifle is just great. Just turn the sizer to touch the shellholder and the die hardly touches the brass anywhere but the neck, and on the way out the expander ball lightly kisses the inside. The rounds chamber smoothly and are straight.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
John-- Thanks for the good information and especially that about reloading. I learn something from everyone of your articles--and I also learn what I don't know! Regarding seating bullets straight in the case, you refer to "run out". Exactly what is "run out" and how is it measured in thousandths of an inch? Thank you for taking time to read and perhaps answer my question!
Dan

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have read information on bullet straightness where they say .00x is good, .0x0 is bad, etc. But I can't find a standard on where you measure this. Obviously the further from the neck you measure the larger the number. There is a big difference between .002-.004 near the tip and .002-.004 just ahead of the neck. I just picked up a RCBS gauge so I've been playing with this. I have been measuring at the bullet ogive. Works fine for relative measurements. Measuring there they have varied from .002 to .010 (ugh). Most are in the .005-.007 range. I would like to work that down a bit. These were all first loads on new brass (FL sized first).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 32 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,162
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.