Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Been practicing a bit with my first bow (ever) -- Hoyt Ultra Sport 50-60# shooting Gold Tip carbon fiber arrows with vanes and field points. I use a Tru-Ball release, 3-pin sight with a peep. The bow was set up for me by a good shop. I've actually been pleasantly surprised how easy this is to shoot -- of course with the peep sight and release it's a lot like a gun ...

I usually shoot 3 arrows at a target and try to keep them in a few inches. I work my way from the 10, 15 and 20-yard lines, on up.

Sometimes at the 10-yd line but even more often at 15 or 20, I will shoot some arrows dead on, but one or two will always go a couple inches to the left. This is driving me a little nuts because my sights are either dead on, or need to be adjusted. I just can't tell if I need to adjust left or right.

Adding to the confusion, sometimes when I've shot at 30 yds. everything works out just fine with a nice tight group, but still off to the left. But when I adjusted the sight to move the group, I still hit in exactly the same place. So it seems in that case, all my stray arrows sorted themselves into separate groups.

I suspect I am doing something weird with my left arm or hand, but am not sure what. Maybe clenching my hand, or locking or unlocking my elbow or shoulder differently?

I also notice some eye dominance issues -- I have a lot of trouble picking up the pin through the peep if I don't close my left eye. (I am right eye dominant, but not very strongly.)

I also notice that I've been having some trouble seeing through the peep since one of the segments of string goes across the aperture, and I wonder if it isn't something as simple as whether I look to the left or the right of that!

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't shoot with a release so I can't help you there. I am guessing maybe you are gripping the bow. I had to go with a wrist strap several years ago and hold my hand totaly open,like your fingers will be sticking straight in front. Once you get used to this if you don't have the strap on you will lose the bow. Don't grab it when you shoot it will just pivot on the strap. I would think a person could anticipate the shot and flinch just as with pulling a trigger with a gun. Try to make it a total suprise when arrow leaves. I still use the old style peep that has the tubing to make the peep come straight and I want as big a hole in the peep as I can get. The spine of the arrow could also cause some of them to fly eratic. That string running thru the peep might cause your left eye to want to take over but do not not not close one eye. If you get in the woods along towards dusk or early in the morning you will not be able to see anything with one eye closed. I set one pin at 20yd and one at 40yd. I just split the pins for 30yd. I don't shoot any animal at 40yd but I practice sometimes. Practice is the key, it will become second nature to you. When you get that deer or bear in so close you know he can hear your heart beat you won't know afterwards what you did. Your subconsious mind will do it for you. I never thought I would ever say this but when you get ready for hunting tip go with the expandible broadheads if they are legal where you hunt.I bought a new bow just before leaving on a hunting trip and was having some trouble with my fixed heads and tried some my buddy had. They fly like a field point and shot 1&3/4 hole clean thru 2 deer at 47lb draw weight. My days of shooting 90lb are over. Old age ain;t for sissies. Kenny West central Ohio I've hunted deer in Va your deer have two eyes on top and two more in the back. You got your work cut out.

Last edited by sicero; 03/26/04.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.