Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Well here's what I say about finding a wife. "Look at the ankles and if they look like they could support 250 pounds, they will".

Why do I get the impression there are two distinctly seperate themes going on in this thread?

So you look at the ankles huh?

Well, I know they used to say that you could tell how big a puppy was going to get by the size of his feet, but I didn't know about the ankle thing there Canuck.........

How bout' their butt, any tips on how big you can predict that's going to get?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep look at the mother.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just so I can clarify that there really isn't two different threads goin on . Lets review the statistics. Obesity runs about 50% and now we find Divorce rates at the same. Can you see a link here? LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"Fat bottom girls,they make the rocking world go round"

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How would you like to see your alimony checks goin' out to feed this one?...........

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jayzus...You'd need a .416 Rigby to end that marriage!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Yep look at the mother.

Yep.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I would have to think that if a God hated divorce, He'd also hate a marriage that was intolerable and negatively impacted upon the children of a marriage.

Would your God also hate a marriage with no love sustaining it and one which harmfully impacted upon the psyche of children born to it?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's my thought, anyway. The ultra-religious types will tell me that I'm not God, and read it like it's written.

But there was no way I was having kids with a woman who would scream at the cats like she was being murdered. If a cat knocking a book off of an end table was that troublesome, what would a colicky baby cause??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
I would have to think that if a God hated divorce, He'd also hate a marriage that was intolerable and negatively impacted upon the children of a marriage.

Would your God also hate a marriage with no love sustaining it and one which harmfully impacted upon the psyche of children born to it?

I'd argue that this was the exception rather than the rule and although I've heard a lot of people complain about the crappy parents they had, I rarely hear any of them say that they would have been better off without one of them.....

But then again, you've obviously seen a lot more of this kind of crap than most of us here counselor...............

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good gracious! I can see beads of sweat on that poor stool!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mom's mom (my grandmother) left her alcoholic, abusive husband in the middle of the light with her three daughters while he was out at a bar getting his drink on.

She met someone later and remarried and that's the guy I've always known as grandpa.

I don't think the divorce affected mom quite so much as the alcoholic/abusive angle of it did. She's still neat and clean and the house is like a museum, which is a characteristic of children of alcoholic/abusive parents who try to create order and maintain it in hopes of not being yelled at, etc.

I cried back in 5th grade when we went to her real dad's funeral -- not because of him, but because I pictured the story dad told me about how mom, who didn't understand what was happening and was in 3rd grade, was terribly afraid she'd leave her library books behind and get a late fee when her mom took her and her sisters to get out. That's one of the sadder images I've ever had.

If I could dig that bastard up and kill him again, I would.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Nemi...I was speaking of the venom that exists between married parents who can't live in the same house without excessive ugliness and fighting which then trickles down to the kids.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I always worry when someone tells me that they know what "God" thinks about a given issue...

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian, as a person in seminary and currently on my year of internship, I'll tell you that you're right on track and the same thoughts run through my head! smile

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Somewhere in there it says judge not....

Divorce is bad, and my wife and I didn't jump into marriage since we wanted to be sure. I can't say things wont' change next week, as you never know. Some things are not in control of either person.

And we certainly know that 2 folks that are having bad issues should NOT stay married. Its, to me anyway, the same as sitting in church thinking about being in the duckblind and not hearing a thing thats said, I'm better off in the duckblind thinking about God and his wonderful creation, and being interupted a few times to shoot a few birds.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
C
Hey- I hate divorce too. It sucks- almost as much as a bad marriage!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Brian and Selmer - I have always found it difficult to pin down "what God says" as I believe that one of the things about His written word (the Bible) is that it is intended as a means of individual guidance rather than as a reference manual intended to direct mankind's actions in any and all given situations. I may not be right about that, but it has worked for me in trying to find the right path through life, which is what I believe we are supposed to do. Just my take on things; not trying to convince anyone else it is right for them; just offering it for consideration. Best to all, John

Last edited by 5sdad; 01/14/09. Reason: capitalization convention

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd also like to point out the fact that the quoted verse is ripped almost totally out of context, as occurs in the majority of proof-texting scenarios. This oracle of the Word of the Lord given to Malachi is directed at the priests and husbands of Israel who have profaned the name of the Lord and worshipped other gods, in direct defiance of the first commandment, and married foreign women. Malachi is presumably a text from the time of the Babylonian exile (post 587 b.c.e.) and the divorce reference is also in reference to the nation of Israel "divorcing" it's "husband", God. The bride/bridegroom scenario is very common in Hebrew Bible texts. After a couple minutes of research and rough translation from the Hebrew text, yes, divorce is explicitly referenced, however, the common English translation of "I hate divorce" is more uncertain than it looks. There is no first-person pronoun in Hebrew "I", so a third person translation of "if/for he hate divorce", or even more neutral "divorce is hateful" translation is also possible.
Also, if one reads Malachi 2:16a as an absolute prohibition of divorce, it does not reconcile with Deuteronomy 24:1-4, where divorce is regarded as a matter of procedure of law. Deut. 24:1-4 even states that if a man divorces his wife, she marries another, the second man divorces her or dies, the abomination would be the first husband re-marrying her, something we might regard as socially acceptable, is the abomination. Have a lovely day!

Last edited by selmer; 01/14/09. Reason: more info

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by isaac
I was speaking of the venom that exists between married parents who can't live in the same house without excessive ugliness and fighting which then trickles down to the kids.
issac your right on with that point,it becomes counter productive at that point to continue as a disfunctional family....and before anyone says other wise it takes two willing parties to function and resolve problems,when one refuses it's time to move on....

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (222Sako, 219DW, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.