Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Harold Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H

Well,

Today I finally did it. I canceled the American Hunter and will now be an NRA member w/o a magazine.

I moved from the American Rifleman because I grew tired of articles about 45 Autos and 03A3 Springfields.

Today I got an American Hunter, no gunsmithing article from Bryce Towsley, that I finished in 10 minutes. Give me a break - exotic hunts in Africa and $4000 dollar rifles? A hunting gear page for "Dangerous Game" which is clearly for those of us taking out yearly week-long break to hunt on the African Plains.
Give me a break - what a bunch of elitists. I guess we know that the magazine is now for the $1000 donors.

Have I got my underwear on to tightly or does anyone else have this beef?

Harold

Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah. They all get pretty dang boring after a while.

Its either: "Whitetail this and Whitetail that" or "Expensive hunts."

I miss the old stuff: How to make your own XYZ, etc.

But, the times have changed.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How did you do that? We get all 3 at the house and we hardly ever read them.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
H
Harold Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H

To stop or change the magazines you go to the NRA.org website, either login or register, go to "Member Services", then "Publications" and click the box that says "No Magazine".

Harold

Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The NRA's first freedom magazine is where's it at.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get First Freedom, but it is a mighty skimpy magazine. I like to have it though so my wife and kids can read it as well.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every gun rag out there is the same way. Seems like all the writers lately write for all of them. I can read the same article in 3 or 4 different magazines. I am so tired of Wayne Van Zwoll I could scream! They need to get back to basics. Write something new and not rehash the same old crap. Have actually seen articles re-written that were brought out years ago. Sounds like JB has an interesting article coming out soon though!

Heck I get a bigger bang out of reading about hunts on the Campfire than most in magazines!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The NRA magazines are practically unreadable. I get American Hunter and my buddy gets American Rifleman. If there is one article in each magazine that is of interest, I feel pretty lucky. It doesn't happen often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably because the NRA although a non profit realises the money doesn't flow in from normal Joe with a basic membership everyyear but people with real money who donate above and beyond membership dues. It's just the way it is.

Otto is my co-pilot.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Harold

To stop or change the magazines you go to the NRA.org website, either login or register, go to "Member Services", then "Publications" and click the box that says "No Magazine".

Harold

Can you click on something that says no junk mail, no junk email, and no junk phone calls?

Damn they chew up a lot of member dollars campaigning for more dollars.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The NRA is not forcing you to read the magazines are they? If you don't like it, don't read it. If you can do better, start your own damn magazine.

I've been reading hunting and gun magazines for over 30 years. I really don't expect to find something new every time I pick a magazine up. For all the people who complain, there are plenty who like the magazines. Some people only want to read about the kind of hunting they do and could care less about other hunting. Others want to read about what they don't do because it's the only way they get to experience it. Others want to read about any hunting, whether they do it or not. How are you going to make all those people happy with one magazine?

There's plenty in this world to complain about, but really, the choice of magazines is not one of them. If you don't like what you have, find something you do like. If you can't find anything you do like, start your own.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wow, looks like we have a new leader in the tight underwear category smile

personally most magazines don't appeal to me, they are half advertisements anyway, I get field and stream and flip through it once or twice, thats about it.
if I want good reading I log in here smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
R
Try Handloader and Rifle by Wolfe Publications. Great articles and no bovine scatology. They also publish Successful Hunter.

Great stuff.

You can preview upcoming issues at www.riflemagazine.com and see what you think.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Magazine titled "American Rifleman" should not be running center spreads on All Terrain Vehicles......PERIOD.

Agree , the old days of "How I do / did it,... are missed here, too.

Panties knotted dittos, too.

We PAY for this publication,.....buckaroo.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your telling me the only reason you send money to the NRA is for the magazine? Really?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No,.....I'm a lifer, coach, Match Director, competitor and volly in a lot of other areas.

This is the 21st century,.....given the budget,....a more coherant, and better configured publication is not out of the question.

Romper room for wannabe gun historians,....and pimps, at the moment.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a lifer, I'm surprised you feel that you are paying for the magazine and not for what the NRA does. I always felt the magazine was free.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You sound like a stump,....that speaks.

Put in 40-60 hours a month,......say that's not a form of payment.

Crap sakes,

GTC

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rifleman is the only mag I get anymore, having gone back and forth over the last 4 decades between Rifleman and Hunter, plus subscribing to all of the major outdoor magazines at one time or another - and seldom find much of interest- mostly the technical articles. Of course, I'm 60, so have seen most of this stuff various places a number of times before. Even done some of it.

For younger folks, it's valuable stuff - I lived on it in my 20's and 30's.

Personally, now I like to read Joe-6-Pack, weekend- "me and Pete went hunting" BS stories for the most part. Apparently there is no market for such a magazine, except in the upper end SCI type league....

As said, most of us will never afford $10,000 guided hunts, $4,000 rifles, etc., much less hefty contributions to elite organizations and guided operations.

If I ever can, I'm calling JJ or Enrique first off!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
As a lifer, I'm surprised you feel that you are paying for the magazine and not for what the NRA does. I always felt the magazine was free.

I see LaPierre, Chris Cox, and a few others as not much better than any other "Inside the Beltway" pimps,......

Grass roots my Azz.

GTC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.