Print Thread
Hop To
D
DanEP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
This is maybe not the right place to post this, but if you are interested in the story behind

http://www.nraila.org/Hunting/Read/HuntingIssues.aspx?ID=4303&type=L

I was instrumental in obtaining the order.

More info:

http://www.conservationallianceny.org/index.php

http://readme.readmedia.com/news/sh...Legal-Action-to-Protect-Pheasants/344487

Here is a link to a copy of the restraining order served on Governor Patterson and Commissioner Grannis:

http://www.conservationallianceny.org/legislative/press/Reynolds_OTSC.pdf

Dan

Last edited by DanEP; 01/16/09.
GB1

D
DanEP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Updated: see new link to restraining order in original notice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good work.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me second that "good work". If we are to keep our right to hunt we are going to have to be activists, all of us. Thanks for getting it done Dan.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My question is why do they want to destroy the Pheasants and close the place? Are they citing some kind of health issues?

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
They want to do it because the state is having serious financial trouble and they are looking for anything they can to cut.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have been watching this pheasant farm issue from the get-go and I have real mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I certainly don't like to see anything happen in this state or any other that can be construed as anti-hunting or anti-hunter. On the other hand, as a conservative, I have grave misgivings about the appropriateness of pheasant raising (and a whole lot of other things) as a valid function of government. If the figures I've seen published are true, the Reynolds pheasant farm consumes $750,000/year of our tax money to raise 25,000 pheasants. I don't know if this even includes the cost of distribution and I don't think they raise the pheasants to maturity. I know a little bit about raising pheasants. We have a preserve license for our farm and some years (depending on what else we have going on) we raise some pheasants to stock our place for family and friends. I can assure you that, even on a small, casual scale, it shouldn't be costing $30/bird to raise pheasants to releasable maturity. For what the taxpayers of this state are spending to raise pheasants we could be buying twice the number of pheasants from the big-time commercial breeders, probably more. It's just one more example of governmental waste and inefficiency.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
DanEP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
All license fees must go to an account separate from a state's general fund in order for a state to qualify for federal Pittman-Robertson money (that is collected on excise taxes on all firearms, ammo, etc, purchases). NY's separate account is called the Conservation Fund. All sales of assets from the Fish and Wildlife department, as well as their products, income from leases, etc, must go back into the Conservation Fund. The upkeep of the pheasant farm is *supposed* to be paid from these two sources, AND, the income that *could* have come from selling pheasants or the land should also have been placed into the Conservation Fund unless a separate piece of legislation were enacted directing otherwise. In other words, even if the State did this, it would not offer ANY relief from the budget problems the state is facing.

D
DanEP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
My question to hunting writers: What triggers interest in tracking down stories like this and getting it into the sporting press?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1Longbow, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,807
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.