Print Thread
Hop To
N
NAN Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
One fairly often meets the phrase �the US Army have established, that 58ft/lbs is minimum energy needed in order to inflict a disabling wound on a soldier�.
I have been unable to find any official source, which can correlate this theory, so I hope I can get some assistance here.

A hunters ability to fire a quick follow-up shot, often proves his inability to hit with the first shot!
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't recall the name of the study, only that it is bullshit that was around about the time the Wright Brothers were leaving the bicycle industry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stopping power from a .22 long rifle can be better than a 454. Depends on where you hit 'em as to how quick they stop.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RyanScott
I don't recall the name of the study, only that it is bullshit that was around about the time the Wright Brothers were leaving the bicycle industry.

From memory are you referring to the Thompson-LaGarde test?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC

Yeah, that's the one where they shot a dead cow that was hanging by a rope with a .38 and a .45, and decided that the rope swung a little more after it was shot with the .45, so that's what they needed for the military.

IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MOGC

Yeah, that's the one were they shot a dead cow that was hanging by a rope with a .38 and a .45, and decided that the rope swung a little more after it was shot with the .45, so that's what they needed for the military.

Yeah, the test was flawed.

The should have hung the cow from a cable. . . . . whistle

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/17/09.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thats the test. And I think that we can agree that despite the paramount importance of shot placement, caliber still matters.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had heard that TL was reviewed by Maj. Julian Hatcher and that's where that number came from.One thing about the'Fire for all the internet bullies and bad horrible people i'd be pleased to eat with we have here someone will know.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
N
NAN Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Thanks for your answers Gents. I took a closer look at the Thompson-LaGarde �experiments� but have to admit, that I can�t find any reference to 58 ft/lbs in said report.

A hunters ability to fire a quick follow-up shot, often proves his inability to hit with the first shot!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Might have been Hatcher that came up with that figure. I don't have my books here and it's been a while. Either way, it's old and outdated.

IC B3

N
NAN Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Once again thank you for the various answers, but can it really be true, that no participant in the forum knows the origin of the, by now, infamous 58 ft/lbs?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It is actually 300 FTLBS for a sure stop. The military looks at stopping power differant than we do. To the military a wounded troop takes five people out of the fight.In a SD encounter you want the attacker stopped period, and unable to continue.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There were different thresholds for wounding and killing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,515
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.