Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I put one of these together last fall and haven't had any decent weather to shoot it yet. Spring will be here soon and am looking for some load data. Found a little at the 6mm BR forum and was wondering if anyone had found any other good loads. Will be shooting the 39 -40 grainers.

Dick
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Panhandle: Be sure to try the Berger 40 grainers in your 20 cal!
There are two boxes of them at my little local gun/pawn shop here in SW Montana.
Normally that shop does not carry Berger bullets of any kind.
They might be available cheap? I don't know.
If you are at all interested I can provide their contact info to you.
I have decided to stick with 32 grain bullets in my 20 cals.!
Best of luck with your 20 BR and be sure and let us know how it shoots and performs for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I haven't ordered a barrel yet for one... I am sure thinking hard about it, but haven't taken the plunge...that and the 17 Fireball are my two desired sub 223 calibers I want to play with...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I had a Rem 700 BDL in 222 Rem that wasn't shooting all that great and decided to build a 20 BR out of it. Got a Rem VSL stock from ebay for $85, a 26" #4 PacNor barrel and a Shilen trigger. Had everything glass beaded and blued and it looks pretty good. Can't wait to start finding the magic load. Got a Nikon 6x18 Buckmaster coming for it in Burris Signature Z-rings. I have a box of the 40 grain Bergers I was going to try in my 204 Ruger this spring. Guess the 2 rifles can share the bullets to see how well they like them.

Dick
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Try Saubier.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Panhandle: Just for clarification was the stock you changed to a "VLS" model - thats the brown laminated Varmint stock from Remington?
I have a limited edition gray laminated stock on a Varmint Rifle by Remington as well but I can NOT remember if that Model was designated "VSL" like you typed in your posting!
My good friend Jack from Yelm, Washington bought a Remington 700 SPS-V in 17 Remington Fireball and decided he wanted the VLS stock instead of the original SPS fiberglass thingy.
He called Remington and they sold him a new VLS stock for $235.00 plus shipping!
So you got a good deal if the stock you bought WAS a VLS model!
I really like the VLS stock by the way for field work and ease of carry etc.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I don't think I have ever heard of a Remington 700 in caliber 222 Remington that did not shoot well?
Your's might just be the first?
I have 3 700's in caliber 222 Remington and they all shoot VERY well indeed.
Good reason to start on a project though - when the original Rifle is not shooting perky at all.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Panhandle: Also this!
About 15 days ago I was driving (sledding?) through Post Falls, Idaho when I spy a Shell gas station on the south side of I-90 at exit #2, I believe.
Anyway I had the VarmintSon in the car with me taking him back to the University of Washington (the Greyhounds couldn't get through!).
So I start in on the 1 1/2 block "drive" to the Shell station off of I-90 there. The snow was so deep and that flat and level street so pocked with giant snow potholes and snow banks that I could not make it in two wheel drive (with traction tires and studs!), to the station!
I had to put the VarmintMobile in 4 wheel drive low range and off-road it to the station!
Once to the station 3 of the 4 gassing islands were snowbound and I had to wait my turn to gas up!
Then the folks in front of me got stuck and I had to wake up the VarmintSon and have him get out and push those folks out of the snow mess so I could advance!
What a nightmare you guys had there!
Is it any better now?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
VG,
Well, it's doing a real slow melt right now and yes things are getting a little better. I had heard that we had gotten a total of 85 inches of snow so far this fall. Really glad it gave us a break, we were running out of room to pile it, our street will only let one car at a time down the street and you have a hard time getting through the side street intersections cause you can't see if anyone is coming. Got a real bad feeling that P-dog hunting in Montana is going to be pretty bad this year because of all the bad weather. Have you heard any news for your state? Our P-dog shoot last year was a total bust, we went over by Miles City. Was there 2 days and fired 158 rounds, going to have to find another place to go, that place is to far and it has too many visitors. Idaho Fish and Game has been holding meetings for the hunters and warning them that this fall is not going to be a banner year. The VSL stocks are one on my favorite stocks also. I have three Rem rifles with them, they seem to fit me really well. My 222 Rem would never do any better than right at 1 inch groups and I could never tighten it up. I had several talks with it and it was like talking to a teenager.

Dick
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Panhandle,
I like the 20's and the 20BR is at the top of the list. I have them on different actions, sleeved 700, 1rst mdl Shilen, Panda, Nesika, Model 7, CZ and soon will have one in a trued LRPV.

The 20BR is very easy to load for, use Lapua 6mmBR brass, neck down in three (I use four) steps to keep your necks straight. I favor the 39gr Sierra though the 40 Berger shoots great too. I tried seven or eight powders and the only one that didn't shoot well was TAC. The best velocity/accuracy went the the VV powders with N133 being on the fast side with lower velocity ~4000fps with 30.0gr. I shoot prairie dogs with a summer safe, N135, backed off to ~4060fps, N140 and N540 shoot a tad better and faster, albeit with more powder. The VV powders clean easily which is important in any 20cal.

Only advice is do NOT use Todd Kindler's Terrific Twenties load data. Most of it is off the charts, too hot!

Best of luck with the new BR.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,759
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.