Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have been out of bow hunting for quite a while, I have never used carbon arrows, I would like to here from some of you about which ones you use and what you like about them, which ones have you tried and would never use again, and why.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When i stopped using alum. arrows, i went to the Easton CarbonAeros 400's as recommended by the bowshop that i buy at. I haven't used anyother carbon arrows due to being very happy with the Easton brand. I just like the quality and the performance of the Easton carbons. Just as i like and use, the Montana Black Gold sights.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm not sure there are any bad carbon arrows out there. I've used Easton Axis arrows out of both my longbows and my compounds, and never have a problem. I've also used 4-5 other arrows, some Bemans, which are now owned by Easton, and a few others.

Just get them spined to your bow, and go hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am by no means an avid bowhunter, however I will throw my hat in for the carbons. The thing I like is that they are either straight or busted, no bending as with the aluminums. And out of my original dozen Carbon Express arrows, I have yet to bust one. I have lost a couple taking shots in the field. If I draw another archery tag, I'll happily buy another dozen.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well--this is by no means a true test, but my buddy and I were doing some pre-hunt practice last week--20 or so shots from various ranges prior to going to the stand. I shoot 2215 aluminum shafts and he shoots 5570 (?) carbon shafts. We each managed to break a shaft in the session. It appears I had hit the arrow which broke on a previous shot and created a weak spot. My buddy took a shot the next end, had a bad release, and the arrow was switching back and forth as it went down-range. It hit the side of the target and split into about 3-4 pieces.

So, they all break if "stuff happens" on a shot.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot carbontech 3c cheetahs. very consistent, very slim, very fast and great durability thus far

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
good alum. better than cheap carbon but good carbon much better than good alum. in a nut shell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot the Beman ICS Hunters. They cost about the same as aluminums and are good quality. Sraight to .003 plus or minus and more importantly consistant in spine. There really is no equal in terms of toughness to carbons in light weight arrows. I shoot 'em at rock chucks, grouse, game, ant piles, 3d targets, bag targets, cardboard targets - what ever. They will take an increadable head on hit - the glancing blows seem to be the arrow killers. A side note, I shoot a drop away rest. This is very important with small diamater carbons as vane contact is an issue on the little shafts.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Beeman ICS hunters for me too. Seem to last well for me. Every now and then I shatter one, but mostly I loose them after a pass through or some field shooting.

I like the carbons because they seem quieter for me than aluminum arrows. The other impression I have is that the smaller diameter carbon arrows penatrate better than do the aluminum arrows. That observation has more to do with foam targets than game.

My switch to carbons happened at the same time as new bow, so it maybe that my impressions are affected by the set up in general. I went from a older browning mirage and a hunter TM rest and easton aluminums to a bear element, bisket and ICS hunters.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Centershot,
So what's a good (um, best) drop away rest I should be looking at for next year?
Advice appreciated and I see you had a great year.

I'd love to shoot the same rest for target and hunting.
Right now I rotate my nocks around so the vanes *look* like there is clearance, but a drop away is even better, right?

Last edited by Two503000; 12/23/08.

Phil
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot a Trophy Taker rest. I put one on my bow when it was new back in 2002 and have used it ever since. I use the same bow and arrow rest for 3D's, Indoor and Outdoor Targets and Hunting. It's got somewhere in the 25 to 35K arrows through it with never a hitch. Works great, simple, easy to adjust - not to bad to install. I have an extra I'd sell if your interested PM me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I started with Easton Carbons and now shoot Gold Tips. They're tough as nails!!! As noted earlier, I used to lose alot of Eastons due ot side impacts when practicing....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use Gold Tip XT hunters and am very happy with em, accurate and tough as nails. Carbons are much better than aluminum, they wont bend, are quiet if you accidently hit one against your bow, just a much better material.

Its very hard to break good carbons, you would have to hit a hard object like a rock or something. They are worth the extra money, i used to shoot super slam Easton aluminums one of the best at the time and there is no comparison against carbons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with kcm - any of the "big" manufacturers would be a good choice. Just make sure that you choose the correct spine.

I shoot Carbon Express Maxima Hunters and have been very happy.

Grab a dozen, choose a good broad head and practice like heck!!!!!

GK

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Phil,

Take a look at the QAD Ultra-Rest HD. It has full arrow containment even when letting down, easy to adjust, and doesn"t bounce up when shot. Also comes in Lost Camo if you shoot Matthews.

QAD

GK

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks guys.
I just "chickened out" with a drop away rest this past weekend.
I went shopping and bought the new Octane Pro rest with a 3-brush setup. The brushes cradle the arrow and allows complete fletch clearance. I liked how it looked and seems like it would work very well. No brushes to shoot through like the bisquit and I no longer have to worry about the arrow falling off my prong rest.

Phil
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
and my next upgrade shall be:
The G5 sight with the 3 fixed pins and a "floating" 4th pin.
I plan on sighting in at 15, 25, 30 yards and having the 4th float out to 50 yards for my club range and targets.

Seems like the best of both worlds and the Cabelas reviews for this sight are awesome.

Phil
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What about the Easton axis Full Metal Jacket arrows, does anyone shoot them??? I heard they're a great hunting arrow but they are heavy and slow down your fps.

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FMJ's are top of the line - a bit heavier, but 10 fps on a hunting rig does not matter. Only one problem with the FMJ's they are expensive. Most of the arrows I loose are ones that have flown through a deer or elk, or the animal rolls on them and breaks them. For my needs the cheaper ICS Hunters do the trick just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just started shooting the Victory V Force V3 carbon arrows and really like them. I'm shooting them with Fobs and through a Limb Driver drop away rest. Wish I would have gone to the carbon arrows sooner. I had issues with my alumnium arrows last fall, bent 2 and had the fletching come off on 4 others, shouldn't have that issue anymore with the carbons and Fobs.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 12344mag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,605
Posts18,511,531
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.