-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
With today's technology, why doesn't someone make a ultra-lite extreme backpack? Preferably one main pack with pockets and one daypack to haul meat and camping gear. One that doesn't weight 6 to 12lbs.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

GB1

S
S
Wilderness pack specialties has a nice ext. frame pack that wieghs about 4 1/2 lbs. I saw one in person seemed like a nice little pack. Can't remember the ci, but it was between 2-300- cubes. Outdoorsmans is also coming out with an external that is about 3000 cubes and wieghs about 4 lbs. Pricy, but nice. A couple friends handled the pack and were impressed, but not ready to fork out the $400. I am going to have to check them both out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What do you mean by "extreme"? There are some pretty light options out there that can still haul a decent load (just not as comfortably as something with beefier suspension). I had 95 lbs in my Arc'teryx needle 55L on a trip on mt. Shuksan, and it only weighs 4lbs. They don't make it anymore, but there are comparable packs out there (i.e.: black diamond shadow, millet packs, etc.). I now use a Bora 65 (6.5 lbs) for heavy loads and the extra weight I carry in suspension is almost always worth it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Osprey Aether 70. Weighs under 5 lbs, and I have hauled 90-lb loads packing caribou and moose meat to camp. The pack stood up to it a lot better than my knees did...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The big trade off with the lighter packs is usually the loss of ability to carry heavier loads.
The best I've played with are the Kifarus. The Spike Camp, for instance, can carry over 65 ( maybe 100 ?) lbs. It weighs right at 3 lbs., 2 ozs. with DQ panels. 2300 ci w/o any add on side, front or back pockets.
The Late Season is larger, more capable, and weighs about 4 lbs. 5 ozs. again with DQ panels but no side,front or back pockets. 3200 ci.
What's nice about them is that the suspension is soft, comfortable even under load. Far more comfortable than the Gregorys for instance.
Hunting, I've learned, requires that we carry stuff that's pretty heavy. Suspensions that can barely carry 25 lbs. just don't cut it. The thin fabrics used by the ultralight pack crowd is another one that doesn't work out well.
I depend a great deal on my packs when I hunt. They have to up to whatever I need for them to do. I save my ultralight packs for summer hiking and minimalist back packing. E

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ask the guys who climb Mt Everest and such what kind of backpack they use. They'll stick to "extreme" gear, even if it weighs considerably more. You won't see a camo'd up fleece pack with lightweight material on a real expedition. It don't come light.

Most "extreme hunters" typically can get by with kid's gear, because they really don't do much "extreme"... unless you ask them.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Company called Golite makes a silnylon ultralight pack. I tried one out once. And found it too much like slinging a gunny sack on ropes over my shoulder, no frame at all. My osprey aether is light AND sturdy.

Ella

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I believe that I will try a Siwash from Kifaru. Thanks for the inputs.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
One exception I have found as a pack that will carry moderately heavy loads is the ULA Urctic Ultra. I have found this pack to be excellent with up to 60-70 lbs. Haven't tried hevier.

Only problem is it was a special production run for Backpacking Light by ULA and I believe they are sold out.

Packs don't need to weigh a ton to carry heavy loads well.

Ed T

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You won't be disappointed with the Siwash. I just replaced my old Eberlestock J104 (8lbs +) with a Siwash (less than 5lbs). It also carries a load much better than the old Eberlestock. It carried 60+ lbs this year on a week long backcountry elk hunt with no problems. No meat to pack this year, but it would easily swallow a hind Q in the main compartment. With the addition of a small and medium pod, it's a very versatile pack and also cinches down nicely in daypack mode.

You won't wear it out!

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
McHale makes heavy duty packs that are light in weight by using dyneema cloth. They're aimed at the climbing crowd. The toll is very high. I believe Kelty used to make a dyneema/spectra climbing pack. I have no idea how well it worked.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.