Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 116 of 1,842 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good to hear from you Stan! Just wonderin where you have been.

Sorry to hear about the grandaughter and the colds.

As others have said we need Stan stories so don't be a stranger!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Rooster, Berettaman,

Cool stories. Do the same around here with the red squirrels. I'll have to take minimag out this spring and show him how to do it. course, he's ready to just jump right into turkey hunting. He thinks he has the call thing all figured out.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One time me and a buddy rented a house in Milton West Virginia. It hadn't been lived in for years. Full of trash. We rehabilitated it!

We used to sit on the couch watching TV after long days in the field. It became pretty routine to say in normal voice, "toss me the .32"

If you had a good line, you then popped off a few rounds and rarely, but sometimes killed a Norway rat. Some of those bastards were the size of house cats.

I don't condone shooting inside anymore. Wouldn't recommend it. Big game though, you know. Want one of those buggers running past your pillow?

Craig

Wood is Good.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Finally!!! Cigars all around guys and gals, Sis has been having complications for awhile and the little tyke is a bit early yet but I now have a 6th niece as of around 4 this afternoon.. All is ok though Thankfully!!! Have your favorite drink,smoke or candy of choice, I know I'm going to fix one up soon.

Did the gopher thing in Montana back in 90 that was a Blast! Don't have a clue howmany thousand we took in that week, peep,peep,peep. Always shot em in the butt while they stoodup after a whistle and they were airborn. Reminds me of some days I punished the Snow Geese and took over 100 in a day. Can't do it anymore without feeling somekind of regret,so now I take pictures Alot of the time. Plan to enjoy doing some plinking again soon though with the .22s

Time for a drink, some steak and baked tators though for now.. Yum........ Mamma says supper is on..

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Two buddies and I killed 87 (confirmed dead) rats in the town
dump back in the fifties. Couldn't do that now.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Dave, could you shoot the 1911 45 cal well? I couldn't hit a barn with it.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Funny I just thought about the name of the first place I talked about the Birth of my niece on.. Dave you started a WONDERFUL thread with the Birth of your families deer camp!!! This place has given me Alot of new people I like to think of as Great friends and a place to talk about everyday life. The Good and the Bad but the Good is Always Overwhelming here.. Thanks to ALL the CampChickenBuck Family and Friends for giving me another Warm Campfire to share this thing called Life... wink

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Maybe me and young bang flop will have to spend a warm saturday afternoon competing with the .22 pistols on the 'rofers'...

that sounds like a very good idea.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by hihobruce77
Dave, could you shoot the 1911 45 cal well? I couldn't hit a barn with it.

I used to go to an indoor range on base & check out a colt 1911 mmatch grade model called "gold cup"

I did very well with it, loved shooting the 1911's not all are equal of course. That gold cup was a decent 1911, of course it pales in comparison to some of the match grade customs that people put together but I did very well with it.

Sure wish I had one of my own.

Wabo, congratulations!!

This thread has become sort of a virtual deer camp made up of folks that for the most part have never met face to face.

This is something you guys created.

I stuck a story out there, an interactive project in which so many contributed to. Then you guys all kept it going, warmed the place up, made it a place to stop in & read, visit etc.

I enjoy it a lot, and I have all of you guys to thank for that.

I truely would like to meet you all someday. Rooster & others have made mention of a meet n greet sort of get together at the chickenbuck. I think it's a good idea, we'll have to work on that. I know many of you are far away & it wouldn't be realistic to do so but it would still be fun to have a get together & post pics of the get together of those that could make it.

we'll work on that.

Well me & the old yellow snow bully had one hell of a job to do last night. Aprox 1 mile of trail to bust open from the open forest road back in to the chickenbuck shack.

It was rough I tell ya, I went by myself & didn't feel like getting stuck so I had to drive & opperate that plow very carefully. With an angling straight blade it's very easy to find yourself sideways in your own trail in a hurry. The plow blade can catch like an ice skate & pitch the front end of the truck off the trail very quickly. It's tricky, you gotta push hard, give it a good hit but You have to be able to react quick when that angled blade takes a bite & starts throwing the truck sideways.

Took me 3.5 hrs to get it. It's not as good as I would have liked to have left it but the clutch was hot, I was low on fluid in the lift/tilt unit and I was tired!! grin

It wasn't easy but I'm pleased to announce that chickenbuck is now open for winter activities such as snowmobiling.

And I'd also like to add, my uncle Dusty's old yellow truck is one tough, mean, bad ass old truck!

I know you read this, that really is one hell of a tough old truck!!

That don't mean I beat it, you don't have to beat it. Honestly it hardly has to work as long as you know how to drive it, and I think i'm catching on.

grin

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Know what you mean about those straight plows Dave, they do take time behind the wheel to get used to.

Neighbor had one of his buddies come over last Saturday and plow out the median between our driveways. This guy had a F250 with an adjustable V plow. Amazing what he could do with it.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
there's a reason the v plows are so expensive. They're worth it!! grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You know I'll have my fat butt up to the chickenbuck when ever you give the word.

We had a huge one on our 250 at my old employer. It was only used to plow the parking and storage lot, which would take about 3-5hours depending on the snow. That sucker had so much weight on the front of that truck, if you didn't have something in the box, it'd do the same as you descriped. Whip that rear end right around, and you'd be sideways before you knew it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Another thing you'll learn real quick if plowing in a truck with a manual tranny is "Don't ride the clutch". You'll be replacing the clutch real soon if you do.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to plow my dad's c-stores for years. I miss that. If a little snow would spill off to the side of the plow and create a little line of unplowed snow, dad would get on me for leaving "dingleberries". NO DINGLEBERRIES! N

Alright, time for a zinger. Notice how all these tough old trucks are Fords? Thats cuz everyone knows Chevy's and Dodge's can't handle it!!!! I am now running, ducking, bobbing and weaving as here come the shoes.....

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Another thing you'll learn real quick if plowing in a truck with a manual tranny is "Don't ride the clutch". You'll be replacing the clutch real soon if you do.

ya, for sure

I had to rock the truck quite a few times due to getting hung up on my own plow berm. I've been thinking for a while not that it doesn't feel like there is a lot of pressure or a lot of meat left to the clutch. I got it hot while rocking the truck and I glazed it a bit, had it slipping.

I dropped down to first gear (can usually plow in 2nd) and she took a good bite, clutch held but i might have to put it on my list. Things to look at when servicing the truck. It's in such good shape mechanically I don't want to let things slide.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I dropped down to first gear (can usually plow in 2nd) and she took a good bite, clutch held but i might have to put it on my list. Things to look at when servicing the truck. It's in such good shape mechanically I don't want to let things slide.

rub it in why donchya. smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dave, do you have the old 4 speed with the granny 1st gear? You could pull stumps in 1st with that old tranny.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yep.

first is very low. almost kinda tricky plowing that tough trail in first because the RPM's are up in that area where the slightest push on the peddle really makes that FE block jump. grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I remember seeing that old beat up truck 20 some years ago and thinking it was ready for the bone yard. If fact one day I asked our buddy "what ever happened to that beat up old yellow truck your Dad had?" and he said "Oh it's still goin! Cussin Dave is using it for a plow truck" I couldn't believe it! grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I had a '76 with a 390/granny 4-speed, and an '85 300/6/granny 4-speed. Pull the ass out of a cat with both.

That old 76 was a good sleeper. wasn't in quite as good of shape as daves yellow monster, but if you decided to give it throtle, she responded. Real good idea for a 18yo kid to have that kind of power. grin

trucks were trucks then wern't they?

Page 116 of 1,842 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 26 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.