Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

Hey Montanacreekhunter, and others:
How do these blades look to you? One blade has a little more belly in it, and one has an angled plunge line.
Overall length 7 3/8"
Sharpened tip to plunge line 3"
154CM at 58/59 Rc with cryo temper.

Comments from all welcome, which and why???

[Linked Image]

Anxious to hear comments
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bottom one. Clean plunge line. Looks great when will it be ready?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Oh yeah how about with African Black wood scales?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the bottom one as well, not sure why, just do. Put a spaulted maple handle and some mosaic pins for me.... I don't care for the butt end of the handle, but thats just an opinion of one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can take or leave the angled plunge line.

My preference would be to round the rear of the handles instead of having the sharp bevels. It would do less damage to the palm of your hand if you were trying to pound the blade through a can of soup.

The finger cut out? I would make it slightly more shallow, and possible relieve it slightly from the rear of the cut out to the rear of the handle.

Kind of like a slight concave curve, but that is only my preference on the designs I make.

The blade being wider than the handle, along with the cut out, makes for a sort of blade guard, without having to add one to it. I like that. This would help to prevent your hand from sliding up onto the cutting edge of the blade if your hands were slick and you were adding forward pressure to the knife.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
MCH
You got some African Black Wood??? I have never messed with it. Is it Ebony or ?????

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
13579 this blade is not intended or designed with the intent of being a can opener. The design and use for this knife is a hunting knife used to field dress game and fowl. Though I do agree with the butt end be rounded instead of the three sided flat angles. However not that big a deal to me.

No I do not have any African Black wood. No it isn't Ebony. Its a very attractive and stable wood. If you can't get it then I will take Ironwood.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"13579 this blade is not intended or designed with the intent of being a can opener."

No, but in the past, before most soup cans came equiped with pull tabs, how many cans of Coke, condensed milk, soup and everthing else do you think were opened with a knife? Years ago, before motor oil came in plastic bottles, I didn't know there was anything else but a knife of some sort to open them with.

You ever used a knife to cut a broad head out of a tree? Or to dig a splinter out of your hand?

As far as it's intended use, you don't know what you might use it for in an emergency. I have one I made, intending to use it to clean game animals. I carried it in the glove compartment of my truck. One time I used it to cut a broken winch line so that I could splice it back togather.

Another time, I used I used it to cut the bolt holding my spare tire in place, when I had a flat and the bolt was too bent to get the spare out. I used a hammer to hammer the blade through both the winch line and the bolt, but the knife was up to the task.

If you were starving to death, and had one can of soup and the pull tab broke off when you pulled it, you might change your mind about using the knife as a can opener.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I carry more then one knife and a can opener on my key chain. In the outdoors I carry a pocket knife, a general purpose "camp knife", and my hunting knife. A knife to me is a tool. I always try to carry the right tools for the jobs at hand. I don't use a hammer to remove nuts and bolts, I use sockets and wrenches. As I use my knives for their intended use. I also don't carry heavy cumbersome can food in the field. I don't drain my oil out in the field also. So back to the real issue here I use my hunting knives souly for use on game. Should a broadhead strike a tree I would simply unscrew the broardhead from the arrow. If I wanted to keep the head for some reason I would use my general purpose knife or my pocket knife.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well glad that is settled.

I personally carry a small 3 blade (older) Schrade and a P-38 in my pocket daily. I carry a decent belt knife appropriate for the hunting/hiking/etc when afield.
I do not have a winch and have never had the need to have a knife perform like 13579 has used his, but so what. To each his own.

I had 12 blanks water jet cut to the top profile. I have been considering the butt shape since receiving them. They look kinda classy, but rounded would certainly be more user friendly.

MCH--- I you want the one shown, you can have it. I am ordering a couple sets of African Blackwood (probably need one myself). You can wait till I do the next cutting and they will probably have a rounded butt. Let me know. I have put handles on a couple and they really feel great in the hand.

Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Give me the one you have with whatever wood you have and a rounded one when the African Black wood comes in. You can wait to mail them at the same time so no rush

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"I do not have a winch and have never had the need to have a knife perform like 13579 has used his, but so what. To each his own."

Sometimes, people have to use what they have with them. I remember one time I used a boat paddle for several miles and I had a perfectly good gas motor on the back of the boat. I just didn't have as much gas as I thought I had, so sometimes you have to make do.

Whether cutting winch lines, bolts, prying flat tires off rims, it is nice to know the knife is up to it if you have to use it for something other than intended.I knew who had made the knife and what it was made from, so I didn't have any qualms about using it, nor was I concerned that it was not capable of cutting the winch line.

One time, my Jeep slid sideways down a steep hill and wedged itself against a tree about 5 inches in diameter. A chain saw would have been perfect, but all I had was a knife and a rock to hammer the knife through the tree. It took awhile, but I finally got the tree cut.

Sometimes, you never know what you will have to use a tool for, besides it's intended purpose. One time, I used a telephone to beat a huge German Shepard in the head with before he tore my leg off. Me and the telephone won.

The purpose of my remarks was to demonstrate that sometimes you have to make do with what you have, if the need arises, regardless of what the tool was designed for, and it is always a good thing when the tool is up to the job. If the knife had broken while using it to cut the winch line and other stuff, then that would have been a bad thing.

One time I was standing almost waist deep in a stream, and noticed a Cottonmouth Moccosin about 6 feet away, looking at me. I had a high powered rifle with a scope, but I would rather have had a shotgun for that particular purpose.

I read one time of a mountain climber driving his knife into a crack in a rock for a foot hold. I am sure he did not purchase the knife for that purpose, but it was nice that it worked.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
MontanaCreekHunter
If you want the one in the pic with the angled plunge line you can have it, just because of your input and it is the first one. I do have a set of scales to put on that one for myself if you didn't want it. I could just grind one of each butt contour for you the next go round if you are not in a hurry. What ever you wish is fine with me.
I showed the MCH-2 to folks at a 3 day Huntin show this weekend and got a lot of positive reports back. I think it will sell and do a great job.
I think the options will be the butt contour and the grind contour as go forward.
I do appreciate your input on this project.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.