Print Thread
Hop To
T
TomM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well thinking about going lever gun. Never owned one, but they seem to come alive in my hands at the range. I guess yearning for something simpler than latest MOA bolt gun. So trying to decide on caliber, pretty much made up my mind on a Marlin for make. As far as caliber, looking for something fun to shoot (ruled out the 45-70), but still has some punch for semi-large game. So the 35 Rem comes to mind. Anybody own a Marlin in this caliber? Thoughts? Ever had any trouble reloading it with that small shoulder? Thanks.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
35 Remington has alot to offer if you hand load. The new LeverEvolution ammo extends the range past 200m. The classic Remington 200gr. soft point is the "brush gun" standard in the caliber.
I have an old 336A with a 24" barrel and load 158gr swc's for 'plinking' (excuse to shoot more) rounds.
The standard loads with take any game in N. America under 200m.
I'm a beg fan of the lever and the caliber!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mpmax; 01/26/09.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have an ancient Marlin that belonged to my grandfather in .35 Remington. It is a great gun, capable of outstanding accuracy and punch. I also have the "classic" Winchester 94 in 30-30. It is a great gun as well. The Winchester 94 in 30-30 has killed more deer in North America than any other round and ammo sales are still brisk despite the introduction of so many "wonder" magnums and the like. I agree with you, the new bolt gunsin the "latest" calibers do nothing for me either. I hunt with one of my leverguns or my old bolt gun in 30-06.

Stupidity is contagious!!
T
TomM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. I plan on runiing a good 200 SP or the Speer 220 with a good peep sight. Should be a good canoe gun for my needs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TomM
Well thinking about going lever gun. Never owned one, but they seem to come alive in my hands at the range. I guess yearning for something simpler than latest MOA bolt gun. So trying to decide on caliber, pretty much made up my mind on a Marlin for make. As far as caliber, looking for something fun to shoot (ruled out the 45-70), but still has some punch for semi-large game. So the 35 Rem comes to mind. Anybody own a Marlin in this caliber? Thoughts? Ever had any trouble reloading it with that small shoulder? Thanks.

I know the feeling... or 'call'

I too have succumed to the aura and such of the levergun. I know what you mean about them feeling alive when handled and shot. I havn't used any of mine on big game yet but have some how aquired them in 454 Casull, 308 and 348 Win. Also just added matching Winchester 9422XTR's in 22 and .22 mag and have not used THEM much yet either! Come on spring varmint shootin weather!

I think a Marlin in .35 Rem could, indeed, fill the bill for you quite nicely.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
TomM I picked a used one up last year for the same reasons that you are thinking about and love it! No problems whatsoever with the small shoulder. Reloading is a must as the factory ammo is pretty weak, check out www.marlinowners.com lots of good info there! Good Luck!

T
TomM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks fellas. Still cruising for the right one. Wish someone made the 35 in a trapper carbine style. My grandfather whacked a pretty big black bear with a 35 Rem, so am naturally drawn I guess.

Will be nice to just stuff that thing full of shells and go hunting without worrying about bedding, etc...Just get back to hunt!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I loved my Marlin 336 in 35Remington, I traded it back to the family it came from, so they could have "Dad's" rifle. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I came across it. I have 3 other 35 Remington rifles and T/C barrel's. It is a great round.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Aint nothing wrong with a 336 in 35rem, i opted for a BLR in .358 win and so far i love it. Detachable box mag,so spitzers can be used, 60 degree lever throw for fast cycling, exposed hammer, with no safeties, except the folding hammer.This carbine weighs 6-1/2lbs,(without scope) and is very lively in my hands. Best of all, it will toss a 200gr bullet at around 2,700 fps out of its 20" tube, and a 250gr bullet around 2,400 fps. To each their own, but i love 35's, i also have a 35 Whelen, so i wouldnt feel undergunned with a 35 rem....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I grew up hunting with a bunch of family members who used Marlins in 35 Remington,everybody used a reciever mounted peep sight and ivory beads up front. We killed dozens of deer so equiped.

My 336 is also in 35 and it has a aperture and front sight made by Ashley Emerson,I have used it on hogs that are bigger and meaner than any deer.

I like 200 grain Corelokts,200 grain Hornady Leverevoltion,and full power handloads or Buffalo Bore loads with the Speer 220 grain bullets.

The 35 is a real hammer when it hits,it just plain kills better than it's mild recoil and muzzle blast lead you to expect.

I think the 35 Marlin with a good peep and front sight is about the best light recoiling but hard hitting rifle a guy can use in thick cover.

I have not really been able to tell much difference in killing power between the 35 and my 45-70,even though the 45-70 kicks much harder with my 350 grain bullets in full power max loads.

Get the 35 and I bet you'll be impressed,I am.

IC B3

T
TomM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
You guys arent making this any easier on me. Still looking, contemplating a new one, as I havent seen too many locally.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TomM
Wish someone made the 35 in a trapper carbine style.

Hey TomM,

Marlin did make a trapper length called the "Marauder" and a limited stainless trapper length in .35 as well. Both will cost a little more as they are both a little scarce. But hey...that's part of the fun huh?

You could always have someone like Dave Clay of DRC cut a 336 down for you as well.

Good Luck in your search!!!

Stump

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Get the .35 Rem & don't look back! You will never regret owning a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 336 in 35 remy that I use on hogs and deer. The new LE stuff is very accurate in my gun and does extend the range but I like the big heavy flat nosed bullets for my uses.
Get you one and you will enjoy it. It would be a great close range black bear, caribou, and moose cartridge.

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 17,164 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,317
Posts18,545,818
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.