Print Thread
Hop To
S
shogun Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Anyone familiar with the workings of the 3 position tang safety on a Ithaca double pre-400,000?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barrel selector and safety in the same unit. Push to either side and forward to fire.

Sometimes you can hang the safety up when neither barrel is selected and the button is pushed forward. Usually the left barrel is selected and shot first. It is easier to leave it there and just push the button forward. The left barrel is usually more open choked.

Selecting the right side first gives you the tightest choke first and opens up the chance of shoving a bit left on the safety button and getting hung up in the middle.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Huh? I thought Ithaca did what everybody else did- make the RH bbl the open one, LH bbl tighter choked. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You may very well be right... Not the way I understand/stood it. Trying to find references to it and the only SXS here is not America and equally choked...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Huh? I thought Ithaca did what everybody else did- make the RH bbl the open one, LH bbl tighter choked. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

I have an early, all original Syracuse 12ga SxS. Right barrel is full, left is IC. It's the only SxS that I've run accross that's "bass ackwards".

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Double trigger guns are typically right barrel, front trigger and left barrel, rear trigger... But I thought I had read they reversed that with single trigger guns.

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone know why the left tube fires first?

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Craigster, I have a Lefever that is set up the same only it is set up ExtraFull and IC that way. Ryan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There were a few people who had their doubles made for the left barrel being the open barrel and fired first, when using double triggers. Not sure with single triggers. Single selective, it wouldn't matter.

John Olin was one I remember who preferred the left to be the tight barrel on double trigger guns. He thought that you could get off a second shot faster if you fired the rear trigger first. After shooting hundreds of shots at clay targets with a side by side, I tend to agree. It seems as if, when the rear trigger is fired first, the back movement of the gun causes your finger to go forward, and it is quicker to move your finger from the rear trigger to the front trigger, under recoil, instead of the other way around.

I don't know if he preferred the left barrel to be the more open on single selective trigger guns or not. With his influence at Winchester, I am sure he could have had his M21s made any way he wanted them.

I don't understand why African hunters who use double rifles. don't do the same thing. I think they could get off two shots faster by firing the rear trigger first.

Another theory, and I can't prove or disprove this one, is that the right barrel was fired the most, because the right barrel had less felt recoil because of the angle or fit of the gun to your shoulder and you often only saw one bird or animal at a time, and if you hit it, you wouldn't need the second shot.

Some said the recoil from the left barrel came straght back, and you felt it a little more. The right barrel supposedly recoils kind of outward, away from your shoulder. I couldn't tell much, if any difference. There were also those who thought a full choke kicked more than a modified or IC choke. I can't argue this point, either, without having access to a large number of precision test devices.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,431
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.