Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MWC Offline OP
OP Offline
M
'm researching 17HMR rifle to purchase. The more I look the more confused I get. I thought I would like a ruger...mid priced, purchased .22 cal for my three sons years ago and they shot well. Now, I'm reading some negative stuff on ruger. I like the price of savage and cz but wonder if they shoot straight. Weatherby comes with a target showing accuracy but is more money. Then there is the German one....can't spell it (Achutz?) If I pay more will I generally get a better shooting rifle? Like everyone I'd like to get a straight shooter for the fewest dollars.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought one of the first 452 varmints that came out in 17HMR. It's by far an excellent rifle. I've shot many five shot groups at 100 yards that measured less than an inch with Hornandy 20 gr. XTP's. The only thing I did was free float the barrel after I got it. Now they come with a set tirgger, which is nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have yet to see a Marlin 917 or Savage 93R17V that wouldn't shoot good groups. The heavy barrel Marlins and Savages should shoot MOA or better once you break-in the barrel and find the variety of 17 HMR ammo that shoots the best groups in your particular rifle.

The only 17 HMR rifle that I've seen that wouldn't shoot good groups is a light barrel Savage 93R17F that I bought NIB for less than $100. Try as I might, I can't seem to shoot groups equal to the Marlin 917VS or Savage 93R17BVSS with this rifle. If you want a light (sporter) barrel rather than a heavy (varmint) barrel, I'd recommend the Marlin 917S over the Savage 93R17.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Weatherby is made by Anschultz

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's harder to find a poor shooting HMR than a good shooter. A $200 Marlin will usually shoot right with an $1100 Cooper. My little Marlin has turned in some near 1/4" groups with it's favorite lot # of ammo, but that's pretty rare. It does AVERAGE .6" at 100 yards, better than most of my centerfire rifles.
The HMR has been a happy exception to the notion of buying accuracy with more dollars.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought one of the Savage 17 FVSS heavy barrel pre accutrigger.
http://www.savagearms.com/93r17fvss.htm

Paid $200 and change for it, for added a Rifle basix or Timney trigger, shoots hole in a hole all day long. With the AccuTrigger, you should be set to go.

Last edited by Mikem2; 01/28/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HMR is an inherently accurate cartridge, most rifles shoot well.

I have an Anschutz 1717D and it is excellent. You can't go wrong with a quality rifle like the Annie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only 17 HMR rifle that I've seen that wouldn't shoot good groups is a light barrel Savage 93R17F that I bought NIB for less than $100.

Ditto. I bought the cheap, lightweight barreled, synthetic stocked version as a gun for my 10-year old son, but could not get the thing to shoot better that 2 or 3 inch groups. I haven't decided yet which one to try next, but I am leaning towards the CZ since my .223 CZ-527 shoots so well.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Check out the Sako Quad. They can be had for around $500 and I haven't heard of any that don't shoot well. I have a quad in 22LR and the trigger can be adjusted nicely, it nots a heavy rifle, and it is very accurate. I have a 17HMR NIB that I haven't got to shoot yet but will take care of that this spring. You can buy different barrels(Mach2, 22LR, 22Mag, & 17HMR) for it later on if you should decide to.

NRA Benefactor Member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mrmarklin: I agree with your contention completely and would go this, one step, further.
I contend that most Rifles shoot the "inherently accurate" 17 HMR cartridge "VERY WELL"!
There is a beautiful Weatherby bolt action 17 HMR on consignment at my local pawn/sport shop here in SW Montana.
Its like $650.00 asking price and I have been secretly admiring it!
If it would have a heavier barrel (I like the mass of heavy barrels for enhancing my field shooting!) I would own it.
Like someone above mentioned I think the Anschutz folks made the action (maybe the whole Rifle?) of these Weatherby bolt action 17 HMR's.
I thought my Ruger 77/17 V/T in 17 HMR was the best shooting rimfire in the world - back when I first bought it (early 2,003)! But I have seen other 17 HMR's outshoot it on occasion!
And like some of the posters on this thread have done!
I have been shooting rimfire Rifles (LOTS of rimfire Rifles!) for more than 55 years now and I have never owned one as accurate as my 17 HMR!
On dead calm days my Ruger 77/17 V/T has as yet to make a group (5 shots at 100 yards) in excess of 1.000"!
It averages groups (5 shots at 100 yards) in the mid .7's!
And its best group (5 shots at 100 yards) has been an amazing .502"!
I have a Weaver 4x16 variable scope on this Rifle now and I am sure if I were to put a scope of 20+ power on it I could break the .500" group (5 shots at 100 yards) barrier with it.
Long live the new King of Rimfires - the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I think its spelled A-N-S-C-H-U-T-Z, Anschutz.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bassetman
I bought one of the first 452 varmints that came out in 17HMR. It's by far an excellent rifle. I've shot many five shot groups at 100 yards that measured less than an inch with Hornandy 20 gr. XTP's. The only thing I did was free float the barrel after I got it. Now they come with a set tirgger, which is nice.

Same here. I bought one of the first ones to come out. All I did to mine was tear the trigger apart to make it better. It is a very fine 17HMR in every respect except for the trigger; but as you say, that has been upgraded to the single set trigger.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I bought one of the first Marlin 917's to come out. It was a good shooter but the trigger sucked. A rifle basix trigger fixed that problem and 3/4" groups at 100 yards were quite common. That was with a 3x9 scope. I recently stuck a 4.5 - 14 on it and am going to give it another try. I think I can shrink those down a bit more.

I understand that Marlin has improved that trigger quite a bit as well.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DMB: A friend of mine owns the Kesselring Gun Shop in Burlington, Washington. Their gunsmith has built a "jig" to place some of the CZ trigger parts in and then the smithy "stones" the parts while the parts and the stone are aligned in the "jig"!
The triggers come out just wonderful!
I am not sure what the charge is for this "trigger job" but I am certain it would be a lot less than a new trigger.
I have shot a few of these CZ's with the stoned trigger jobs and they are indeed a significant improvement.
I will attempt a link for anyone interested:

http://www.kesselrings.com/servlet/StoreFront

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have the Marlin 917 w/SS bull barrel. This gun is very accurate and beautiful. Just before this past hunting season I took it to the range to shoot it at 100 yards. I got it shooting thru bullet holes. I would recommend it to anyone. I also shoot a Ruger 10/22 SS w/ mannlicher stock that shoots very well also. For the money you can't beat these two rimfires, But you might have trouble finding the 10/22 w/ mannlicher.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy the Anschutz 1517D and you won't have to look any further. Mind shoots bug holes. Mine is Left Hand, but you can purchase a right hand cheaper.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just bought a stainless savage bull barrel with the thumbhole in 17hmr. So far, I like it and it seems to shoot the 17grain v-max into about a two inch group at 100.(it was windy, may not be the rifles fault.) Ill shoot it again tomorrow and let you guys know, hopefully the wind isn't blowing mach IV.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I went out shopping for a 17HMR today, after deciding to
give up on 17HM2s. I can buy a Savage 93 w/laminated stock,
AT, and bull barrel from Walmart for $340 plus tax. Or
I can buy a Marlin 917 w/bull barrel and plain stock from
Academy for $229 plus tax. I also found out I can get the
Savage in a left hand version, but Walmart doesnt carry it.
I might just buy the Marlin, just need to think it over
for a day or two.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To throw this out there...There is a Volquartsen 17hmr for sale in the classified. Even though the Savage and Marlin can be accurate, the VQ are known to always extremely accurate.

I've shot several different models and own a CZ 17hmr. The VQ beats them all and is on par with my 541s. So yes, it's worth it if you have the money.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I sure like my Ruger and have never been let down by it.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't go wrong with the Savage. Certainly there are prettier rifles but not many will shoot any better. They seem to like 20 grain bullets from my experience.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 21 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,208
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.