Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a Ruger M77 MkII in .260 Remington that I wish had the slimmer stock lines of the Hawkeye. Will it fit into a short action Hawkeye stock with no modifications? Not sure I'll do it, just wondering if I can.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe it will. I compared my .338 RCM Hawkeye to a couple of Mk II stocks I have, and other than needing to open the barrel channels, it appeared the Hawkeye rifle would drop in to the Mk II stock. So seemingly there would be no reason it would not work the other way around. You could call Ruger in NH and ask them, though. They seemed happy to answer such questions when I called them about something else the other day.

Going with the Hawkeye stock is an excellent move, I think.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i did the very change you speak of. not only did it fit but results where better than expected!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did it with a long action 6.5x55 and it fit perfect. Reduced the overall weight of the rifle by not quite half a pound and IMO has a good balence and feel to it.

Z
Z

I ordered a Hawkeye synthetic to substitute on my wood stocked Mark II 30-06 of about 1999 origin. It did not fit and was not even close. I talked to Ruger twice and was told no go, that's all there was.

I cannot imagine the problem since the above posters say theirs did fit. I sent it back twice and bought a Bell & Carlson instead, a drop in fit. confused

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Zofko

I ordered a Hawkeye synthetic to substitute on my wood stocked Mark II 30-06 of about 1999 origin. It did not fit and was not even close. I talked to Ruger twice and was told no go, that's all there was.

I cannot imagine the problem since the above posters say theirs did fit. I sent it back twice and bought a Bell & Carlson instead, a drop in fit. confused

that just doesn't make sence. i have to wonder if they didn't send you a short action stock by mistake. or a magnum action stock. the actions on the hawkeyes are the same as the mark II's, only differance is the stock profile and trigger (LC6)

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Z
Z

I know it doesn't make sense. I talked to a Ruger rep twice, a female, sent it back and asked for one to fit a 30-06 again and the one sent to me again did not fit either. I can't recall too much about the situation but you're probably right. I really liked the feel of the Hawkeye.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
To my knowledge, nothing changed with the metal when Ruger went from the Mk II to the Hawkeye, other than finish. So, fitting a Mk II to a Hawk stock should work with ease.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.