Print Thread
Hop To
Page 120 of 1,842 1 2 118 119 120 121 122 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i didn't catch that story bruce, gonna have to check it out!!

Something clever here.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
it was all over the trib too dave. R u going ou on the pond this weekend. we're headed back out to catch us some fishies hopefully. i got some good venison jerky to bring out too. i found some more crap in those blue cans like at had out at the chickenbuck too dave. Bout ready to switch to the captain all the time......

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That's some serious snow, Phil. Down here in south-central PA we don't normally need to deal with that. A 3" snow here is noteworthy. Schools close, businesses delay opening, accidents close roads all over the area. We're wussies!
When I was still working, one of our plow manufacturers (Frink, if I remember correctly) sent us a DVD made from a 1940s-era movie that their company made as advertisement. It was called "Plowing Tug Hill". They were breaking drifts over 25' tall. Now THAT is snow! LOL

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Naw, Nate has a B-ball game tomorrow morning & I'm an all day or nothing fisherman so we're skipping the fishing this weekend too.

I gave my fish house key to a friend from work here that wants to go so he may be out there this weekend.

We're going to the chickenbuck with a couple of old snowmobiles. Might make a run to the sliding hill, light the fireplace in the shelter at the top of the hill, watch the kids slide, have a couple beverages...

then back to the shack to lounge & listen to the woodstove crackle & pop.

maybe a quick ride again sunday morning then back home for superbowl.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Glad you all enjoyed the story. Grandpa was good for many "interesting" occurances, such as the time he killed the neighbor lady's cat with a deadfall set, or the time other camp members had to restrain him from smashing a new Remington 760 pump against an oak tree! Then, there was the incident involving the illegal trotline and the snapping turtle. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the drift of this. If there was "excitement" happening, Grandpa was usually in the center of it! Thank the lord he never took up ice fishing. I can only imagine where that Willys might have ended up!

Ron

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ron , Not an unusual amount of snow yet this year . We'll see what Feb and March bring . We are a little East West of the tug hill so I don't complain much about the snow fall. From home here in Syr Ny a 30 mile drive North puts things into perspective wink
I think that earlier that week they brought in a front end loader to get the banks back a bit. That turn around is 7 or 8 miles from the nearest paved road depending on which way you come from.

Last edited by M1894; 01/30/09. Reason: Broken compass

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story , and looking forward to more cool

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
ND,
Is Camp Chickenbuck the official camp name? That name keeps turning up in your posts but there hasn't been a naming ceremony yet.

Ron

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
My youngest boy soon 5 years of age has named several imaginary animals which he claims live out in the woods at deer camp.

My favorite of these animals is the "chickenbuck"

there are many others such as the leopard squirrel, the flying bear, the giant swamp squid & several more.

But the chicken buck was his first creation.

He is an avid chickenbuck hunter.(self proclaimed) I've seen him hunt them with a pop gun.
Though I myself have never seen the chickenbuck, there are several artist's renderings of said creature now in circulation.

We're having fun with it, the name. I could tag my own family name to the camp but it would lose value in my mind because it would seem selfish under our unique circumstances. It's a shared camp. It is a family camp.

But it's a big family with more than one last name. smile

So, to compliment the effort to make all members feel equally at home, a fun name like Camp Chickenbuck works just fine.

I think.

I'm the camp boss I suppose, if there ever comes a need for such a thing. But so far I haven't had to wear that hat, I'm just one of the camp members and that's the way I like it.

It's much funner that way.

Ron, do you suppose a naming ceremony is in order?

and if so...

Will there be beer?

grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Dave,
Since you asked, IMHO a naming ceremony would be a fine way to make everything official. If you would allow me to make a few suggestions, not to tell you what to include in the ceremony, rather to stimulate your thoughts on what you might like to include.

A cake with the camp and it's name drawn in the icing.

A wooden plank with the camp name and an outline of the magnificent Northwoods Cedar Swamp Chickenbuck, regally posed, could be routed out and hung on the porch by the door. Think of the "oohs" and "ahhs", not to mention the gaseous emissions, such an unveiling would generate!

A bottle of some alcoholic brew used regularly in a ceremonial capacity at said camp to be broken against a porch upright to conclude the ceremony. Kind of like a boat launching without the water. I seem to recall a reference to "The Captain" in several postings. (OOPS! broken glass could be hazardous to inebriated revelers! My bad!) On second thought, my recommendation would be to drink sufficient quantities of Captain, beer (yes Dave, there could/should be beer) and other adult beverages to have a mass "whiz-off" from the porch, including all male attendees (as whizzers, NOT whizees), to conclude the ceremony. The National Anthem could be played and/or sung as part of the "whiz-off" finale. (brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. (Oh, that wasn't my eye. Excuse me. I'll be back in a sec!)

I'm back. Sorry about that. I guess I was just overcome by the emotion of the event. Where was I? Oh, "Guests". Of course.

All those who have played a part in the birth of Camp Chickenbuck or in creating memorable events at the camp could be invited to the ceremony. Also, large amounts of common camp food and drink could be made available to entice the invitees to actually show up. From the stories here on this forum, most would be attracted by one or the other offering.

Again, Dave, just my thoughts. feel free to use any and all ideas as you see fit. I'm sure the group on this site could really build on these few thoughts and help you create a naming crermony that will become legendary, not only across Minnesota and the upper Midwest, but throughout North America!

Can I have an Amen?

Ron

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I like You Ron, I have smile pains in my face now.

didn't know that was possible.

this is all very god.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
ND,
I really am this flaky. Just ask my wife. To prove it, I'll just say that I named my cabin "Camp Mental Floss". If you don't know where the name came from, find a copy of Jimmy Buffett's "Banana Wind" album. The guys that come up for deer season just shook their heads when they saw the name. I guess they were expecting something like Camp BangFlop or such. Just not my style. Now, Camp Chickenbuck, from your 5 year-old son, that'll work! You just need a picture of the Chickenbuck to ease everyone's confusion.
Ron

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
these are repeats, but here we go.

(bout time for bed)

artist's rendering of a chickenbuck encounter.

[Linked Image]

actual photo of a live chickenbuck?
[Linked Image]

and our first attempt at a camp sign.

[Linked Image]

G'night all.

grin

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I vote for the one on the sign above.That's great!

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd come, but my wife says I can't compete in a whizz-off. It wouldn't be fair. I'm starting a few inches short. grin

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i noticed this morning we are over 100,000 views on our thread of nonsense.

We have a basketball game this morning then we're heading out to the woods.

have a good weekend everybody.

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Sorry to read about your loss of another friend.... I've got alittle catching up to do on the thread I am reading as often as possible through the week. However I just got another Big project to keep track of at work so I'm not able to post from there, by the time I get home my eyes are toast. Looking at an excel spreadsheet all day.

Ron,

Great to see you here and Welcome to the fire!!! Going to catch your story in full detail in a few minutes. Yes it would be my honor to hunt with you anytime as well.

Well I'm hoppin hoops this morning, got a new manifold on the huntin truck yesterday, wife is on her way to another town now for groceries and get the thing inspected then I'm headed in another direction to another town to license it. Rediculas I tell ya...lol.. Oh well I'm going gun shoppin after I get done with the license stuff, I need a BangFlop fix... wink shocked grin

Hey big ND!! you will be proud to know i got my first critter with that little 6 shooter. I got a big squirrel this afternoon up in a tree.

How has the fishin been up there?

"The Boy"
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well guys let me say it as well Thanks for the stories from both Ron hunting with Grandpa and of the ladder in the Mine Dave... I about fell out of the chair in laughter on both counts as I have similiar memories with others... I'll get to my stories sometime tomorrow.

For now I just gotta pass on Kiddo Thunder News on New toy's. Since she has had alittle trouble adapting to the scope on the levergun due to the kick I've got her a new levergun this time another Marlin 336 in the usual 30-30 but I've added a red dot scope. She will put the light on the target and then the Thunder Na,na,na...lol... She is excited to go shooting tomorrow as we just got home... The red dot is setup with a major eye relief so you can't really tell your looking through anything other then lighted irons with a tube.. I can't wait either Thunder and light will be on!!!

Hope your All having a GREAT weekend too!!!!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Captain Bang Flop strikes again!! Congrats Boy!!!!

Page 120 of 1,842 1 2 118 119 120 121 122 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,440
Posts18,489,455
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.