Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In another thread a while back I asked why God allowed evil to exist. Some of the people who responded said that it was integral to free choice. Fair enough and I had expected that answer.

Got to thinking this morning:

So if there is no evil in heaven (and I'm making an assumption here I know), is there free choice there? If so how can that be?

Carpe' Scrotum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know if anybody can give a definitive answer to that. We can only speculate.

I'd heard the question asked if there is no sin in Heaven then how did Lucifer sin? Tony Evans, of Dallas, TX, gave the best answer to that I have ever heard.

He said that for a created being not to be able to choose to do evil God would have had to clone Himself. Ben Haden said once in a sermon there are three things God cannot do. He cannot tell a lie, remember (hold it against us) a forgiven sin and He can never not be God. I surely am glad I don't have to depend on a Mickey Coleman to save me. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve
In another thread a while back I asked why God allowed evil to exist. Some of the people who responded said that it was integral to free choice. Fair enough and I had expected that answer.

Got to thinking this morning:

So if there is no evil in heaven (and I'm making an assumption here I know), is there free choice there? If so how can that be?

As Mickey says we can only speculate.

But assuming there is a Heaven and a God than I would have to say no. Free thinking/free choice do not lead one to Heaven or God. Therefore, one would have to presume that Heaven would be out for anyone who practices free thinking and free choice.

Now I can just see all the Christians going bonkers over this statement but seriously Christians, think deeply, go mystic, are you really practicing free thinking, free choice or are you just one of the sheeple?

Hence, one of the reasons I practice Zen Deism and follow a Goddess spiritual path. At this point in time I have no desire to see Heaven or God at least as Christians think it.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For one man's opinion on this read The Shack. Best free choice explanation I have read.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would have to say no. Free choice was given to men. Angels are not men, but creatures. The bible talks of men having to go through a blast furnace to be purified in order to enter heaven. Pure is having no sin, and incapable of such.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So in the previous thread it was stated by some that God wanted companions, not robots. If there is no sin in heaven and therefore no free will, just what is God going the get out of us?

If these are true then why doesn't God just skip the first step mortal life where we must choose or reject Him to the end game and remove our free will?

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunting or fishing?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� more bushels of proof that finite minds can not understand the infinite God �

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If there is no sin in heaven and therefore no free will, just what is God going the get out of us?

I don't think it's about what he'll get, but you, recieving what you have been offered.

why doesn't God just skip the first step mortal life where we must choose or reject Him to the end game and remove our free will?

Had that, until Eve went apple picking.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Well, at least we're talking about it, and not repeating the 30 Years' War.

Any prohibition always manifests a black market, and an underground to administer it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Does free choice exist in heaven?"

Just guessing, of course, I s'pose that there's always the option of "jumping ship," but I doubt that anybody ever does.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Optimist
Well, at least we're talking about it, and not repeating the 30 Years' War.

Nice for a change. I like it. Maybe we are growing up... well some of us, I flat refuse to grow up. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Honest questions.

Carpe' Scrotum
R
RJD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We'll all find out soon enough.

Everytime history repeats itself it gets more expensive.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm betting if most of the 'saved' folks I 'know' are in heaven, must SANE folks will be jumping ship.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's an interesting question.

One of my favorite science fiction authors is Larry Niven. He invented a fascinating alien (well, sorta) species called the Pak. Reading about the Pak made me think some interesting thoughts.

For example, here's a definition of knowledge: that which reduces free will.

If you have a goal to work toward, and a number of options regarding how to work toward that goal lie open before you, and you have no information or knowledge concerning the consequences of any of those choices, you have a great amount of free will: you can choose any option you want.

However, if you have enough knowledge to know that only three or four of the available options have the potential to lead you to success, and all the rest can only lead to certain failure, your free will is practically diminished. (Yes, you could deliberately pick one of the failure options, theoretically, but in real life you wouldn't.)

Furthermore, if you have enough knowledge to know all the consequences of all the choices, then all your free will is gone: you have no realistic choice other than to choose the option that will lead you most expeditiously to your objective.

So if the passage about seeing now as through a glass darkly, but then face to face can be interpreted as meaning that in Heaven we will know much more than we do on earth, then the argument could be made that yes, we will have less free will in Heaven than we do here on earth.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Had that, until Eve went apple picking.

There you go again picking on the Ladies. grin

Christianity is a misogynistic religion. It's all the woman's fault for sin. Pagans are Goddess based and don't blame men for evil or bad things for happening. Why is it that Christianity is misogynistic? What is that Christianity has against women?

Before all you Christians start flaming me I realize that in modern Western culture that many Protestant denominations are kinder to women but still in comparison to Pagans you guys are still quite misogynistic.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Barak,

That was an interesting post and I must think about it. Not sure I agree with you in that if you are all knowledgeable, you will always make the right choice as some are knowingly self destructive. Maybe that's their goal. But I usually have to dwell on such things for a while.

Thanks.

BTW I'm a big Niven fan as well. The Mote in God's Eye is one of my favorites.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
heaven for climate

hell for conversation

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm betting that, if we make it there....any of us in this thread, none of us will even care. It will just be grand....

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,224
Posts18,504,276
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.