Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RyanScott
A mozambique drill is Coopers name for practicing firing two rounds into the body, assessing then firing a round into the head if the target remains standing. This is bad, because you're assessing instead of shooting. Now you shoot two to the body, then the head if it remains visible, then assess the body.

Personally, I train to shoot for the body 3-5 times, then I can worry about the head. Haven't done it for score, so I can't comment further.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is where the assessing for response with the body armor comes in, then going to alternate target areas pelvis, head etc. Two or three to COM, no response seek alternate targets.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Perp found the 9mm fairly discouraging even with armor eh? :)Well done.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You ever see a person shot with body armor? You'll look like you've been beaten by a ball bat.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just a month or so ago a trucker from MT was stabbed several times at a rest stop in Fargo, ND by a Canadian no less. The truck driver lived. Unfortunately commercial truckers cannot legally carry guns for protection.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hell I've seen armor penetrated by Winchester 127s from a Glock 19. Level IIA armor. Wouldn't count on it happening that way every time but it was interesting to see. 100gr Powrball from the same gun didn't make it more than a third of the way through the vest.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Hell I've seen armor penetrated by Winchester 127s from a Glock 19. Level IIA armor. Wouldn't count on it happening that way every time but it was interesting to see. 100gr Powrball from the same gun didn't make it more than a third of the way through the vest.
I have some old .380 ACP rounds from the 1980s that are said to be highly effective at penetrating soft body armor. They are essentially bronze tube projectiles. The base and cap are plastic, and probably detach from the bronze tube projective once it leaves the barrel. They have a cookie cutter effect on soft body armor. I also have some armor piercing .41 Magnum ammo, but of a different design.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The quality of soft body armor from the 80's to present day materials has come along way. I remember when Second Chance put the first one on the market in the mid to late 70's the quality and effectivness has greatly improved over the years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Just a month or so ago a trucker from MT was stabbed several times at a rest stop in Fargo, ND by a Canadian no less. The truck driver lived. Unfortunately commercial truckers cannot legally carry guns for protection.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That's always been something that i've never agreed with regarding OTR drivers and guns. I've pulled loads out of Dell here in TN. worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Loads that criminals would kill for. Computers and such that's easy to unload and sell. That's why i liked to haul flatbed loads, it isn't easy to unload or sell steel coils or other large items as such.

It's against Fed. law for OTR drivers to have weapons as set forth by DOT law.

My theory if hijacked, was do you need me to show you the shift pattern, if your not familiar, if not you have a good day. smile

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A heartwarming story with a lousy ending:

Around 1970 Detroit was recovering from the race riots of 1968. The city was experiencing the exodus of its white population. Many elder whites remained. Young black thugs preyed on older victims, mostly old white ladies. I'm not trying to make any racial point here, only providing descriptions of assailants and victims.

The Detroit Police Dep't, then of mixed race, set up a decoy operation where some of the smaller officers dressed like little old ladies and went about their business in the city. Approached by a robber, armed or not, "granny" would whip off "her" wig, pull a service revolver from under "her" skirt, identify "herself" as police, and proceed to make the arrest.

A number of young criminals made the mistake of either resisting arrest or attempting to outrun police bullets.

If the officer made the arrest, he spent half the night filling out paperwork and was back on the job the next day. If the officer had to shoot the criminal the officer still had to fill out paperwork for half the night and then got a couple days off while the affair was being investigated.

Robberies quickly dropped dramatically.

Then a liberal black judge got into the action and ruled that even if a young black man wanted to commit armed robbery he shouldn't have to risk getting killed with so many of his years potentially ahead of him. So the decoy operation had to be disbanded. Crime returned to former levels.

This was told to me by the wife of a police officer who had been on the decoy unit.

Here's another story you will like even less from Detroit. Old guy lived alone in a bad part of town. He probably couldn't afford anything else. Thugs kept trying to break in through his door but he was armed and kept them at bay. Someone decided he was too old to be trusted with a firearm and it was taken from him. Within a week he had been killed in his own home by people who broke through the door.

Source: The cop's wife.

This sort of thing doesn't get in the newspapers, not even back then although I believe I remember a report on the disbanding of the decoy operation and the old man's death without mention of him being disarmed.

It's not just a gun. It may be your ticket to a longer life.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A heartwarming story with a lousy ending:

Around 1970 Detroit was recovering from the race riots of 1968. The city was experiencing the exodus of its white population. Many elder whites remained. Young black thugs preyed on older victims, mostly old white ladies. I'm not trying to make any racial point here, only providing descriptions of assailants and victims.

The Detroit Police Dep't, then of mixed race, set up a decoy operation where some of the smaller officers dressed like little old ladies and went about their business in the city. Approached by a robber, armed or not, "granny" would whip off "her" wig, pull a service revolver from under "her" skirt, identify "herself" as police, and proceed to make the arrest.

A number of young criminals made the mistake of either resisting arrest or attempting to outrun police bullets.

If the officer made the arrest, he spent half the night filling out paperwork and was back on the job the next day. If the officer had to shoot the criminal the officer still had to fill out paperwork for half the night and then got a couple days off while the affair was being investigated.

Robberies quickly dropped dramatically.

Then a liberal black judge got into the action and ruled that even if a young black man wanted to commit armed robbery he shouldn't have to risk getting killed with so many of his years potentially ahead of him. So the decoy operation had to be disbanded. Crime returned to former levels.

This was told to me by the wife of a police officer who had been on the decoy unit.

Here's another story you will like even less from Detroit. Old guy lived alone in a bad part of town. He probably couldn't afford anything else. Thugs kept trying to break in through his door but he was armed and kept them at bay. Someone decided he was too old to be trusted with a firearm and it was taken from him. Within a week he had been killed in his own home by people who broke through the door.

Source: The cop's wife.

This sort of thing doesn't get in the newspapers, not even back then although I believe I remember a report on the disbanding of the decoy operation and the old man's death without mention of him being disarmed.

It's not just a gun. It may be your ticket to a longer life.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Oops, pressed the button twice. Would you call that a "double tap?"

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a tv show a few years ago, I think it may have been
"Jack A**" and they tested bullet proof vests with a 22
pistol. One guy was wearing the vest and the other fired
the gun, the guy was clearly in pain and staggered back,
after being shot, he also cursed and said how painful it
was.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (19rabbit52, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 39 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.