Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Loggah
gnoahhh, I think LBK ment all "REMINGTONS" in general !! altho i do own one,i have one of those 03 springfields in real nice shape its a "Eddystone" with a barrel date of 10-18 on it WW1. Don

Thank you for the clarifacation. Been a sorta bad day for me. I'm close to splodin and that would not be a good thing!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Tsaright? Tsaright. Remember Senor Wencas? I heard he's on the Ed Sullivan Show tonight. Wait a minute- what year is this?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
loggah, if you have a rifle marked Eddystone, then it's not a Springfield. It'a a 1917 Enfield, made by Eddystone, owened by Remingtom back in the 1st world war.

READ THE BIBLE-IT WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!
NO 99"s ARE JUNK, FDP
NRA Endowment Life Member
US Air Force Retired,Phantom Phixer
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was forunate in acquiring a M1903A3 from the DCM via the NRA in the late fifties ('58 or '59) at the price of $14.50 (near as I recall, perhaps a few bucks more). Further, I took it upon myself to travel to the Raritan Arsenal here in NJ in an effort to pick it up after receiving the necessary paperwork. Surprisingly, the effort paid off and I was able to personally select my rifle from the hundreds racked in the warehouse and I ended up with a Remington with a four groove barrel.

It wasn't too long after getting the 03A3 that I set about "sporterizing" it as many others were doing. That effort went through several evolutionary stages of modification over the years and today it is fully customized with a classic style checkered walnut stock, milled M1903 trigger guard/floor plate, modified bolt handle, Buehler safety, original barrel cut to 20" and rebored to .35Whelen, D&T for Redfield JR mount and Lyman 48 receiver sight, ramp front sight, Timney trigger, Realist 1.5x to 4.5x scope, and a polish and reblue of all metal parts. A really satisfying bolt action sporter and the first of that type I ever owned. I still have it and will 'till I kick the bucket.
Alot of money went into that rifle but today it is probably worth about half of what an original un-modified M1903A3 would bring. However, it was a lot of fun at the time.

The M1903A3 was originally proiduced by Remington to meet the demand for rifles at the onset of WWII. M-1 Rifles were in short supply and none had yet been issued to the Marine Corps.
The Marines when they invaded Guadelcanal were armed with M1903 Springfields. As mentioned by others in this thread, the M1903A3 was modified by Remington to lower the cost of production by shortcutting many machining functions. The substitution of an adjustable peep sight for the M1903 barrel mounted open sight was a big improvement for accuracy.

I've managed to acquire another Remington 03A3 which is in an unaltered un-altered as-issued condition as well as a couple of M1903's. They are all great rifles but none measure up to the great one.....The M-1 Rifle.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Chip, ya i had a brain cramp its a 03 springfield but its a "ROCK ISLAND" !! i did have a 1917 EDDYSTONE but it went away, i do have a1917 WINCHESTER enfield. Don

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess what got me hooked on '03's years ago was my uncle who was in the 1st Inf. Div., Feb. '42- March '45. He was an infantry scout, which MO allowed him choice in weapons. He stuck with the '03 he was first issued in late '40. He said he had plans to dufflebag it home after the War, but a German gunner changed those plans abruptly. (Probably wouldn't have gotten away with it anyway.) That was his 3rd wound, and got him sent home.

When I got my 1st '03 in 1968- 1903 MarkI (altered for Pederson device), for $45- he showed me the old Manual of Arms and laid a few war stories on me. That was the first time I knew him to talk of the war, and the last. He was my personal hero.I've had an '03 somewhere within reach ever since.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here are pictures of the original book that came with the rifle...!!!

Mike...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.