Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know poor people who are poor by choice: Case in point, the parents of some of the 5th graders I taught in the city. When I'd try to tell the kids to work hard and do well in school so they could get a good job someday, they'd reply: "Why? My mom stays home all day and just has to pick up a check on the first!"

Then there are people who by no fault of their own are poor. Case in point, a lot of the guys I know who work in the HVAC field right now. Hard-working guys who are being laid off left and right because work has declined. They will work again, to be sure, but for the time being their fortunes have declined and I'm always conscious that I'm just a bad month away from joining them.

When I worked in the junkyard I wasn't poor, but I took that job because I knew it would always be work and I was willing to work hard to keep my family above water. I'd do it again in a heartbeat despite the physical toll it took on me.

What your post stated was a poorly thought-out rant based on emotions, not reality. Sorry to bust you like that but the "working poor" are very real and one bad choice or unplanned pregnancy/etc. can really make someone's ability to make their own "luck" infinitely harder.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by amax155
Lazy and stupid, Huh. My stepfather lost his left arm at the age of 16 in a hunting accident. He went on to work as a mechanic, and could tear down a motor faster than I can with both arms. At age 50 he tore his rotator cuff and had some nerve damage in his right shoulder. He was doing pretty well at the time. The medical bills piled up and he lost his house before he was found to be disabled. Now tell me was he lazy or stupid or both.
He should have been putting away, as permanent investment principle, at least 10% of his income over his entire working life. You make your life-style match only 90% of your income in order to do that. That's a starter. Not saying someone's stupid for not doing that. Could be that no one ever impressed upon them the idea of disciplined savings and conservative investment from an early age.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
As said, too broad of brush. True for some, yes. But bad things do happen to good people, we probably all have friends or relatives that fit that bill at one time or another.

Narrow it down to those who don't WANT to work, and I'll agree with you.

I agree more with this above statement. I'm not impoverished by any means, but I don't have allot extra and I worry about retirement even though its sometime down the road. I've been on my own since I've been 17, put myself through college, have A+ credit, but if I were to loose my job or had a medical emergency things could turn around real quick.

To many people in this day and age are lazy and think they deserve everything handed to them. Same goes with minorities (not all of them), they have more opportunities than the vast majority of people, but still dwell on what happened to their great great grandparents. GET OVER IT and do something with your life.

Life is just one damned thing after another
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by amax155
Lazy and stupid, Huh. My stepfather lost his left arm at the age of 16 in a hunting accident. He went on to work as a mechanic, and could tear down a motor faster than I can with both arms. At age 50 he tore his rotator cuff and had some nerve damage in his right shoulder. He was doing pretty well at the time. The medical bills piled up and he lost his house before he was found to be disabled. Now tell me was he lazy or stupid or both.
He should have been putting away, as permanent investment principle, at least 10% of his income over his entire working life. You make your life-style match only 90% of your income in order to do that. That's a starter. Not saying someone's stupid for not doing that. Could be that no one ever impressed upon them the idea of disciplined savings and conservative investment from an early age.

It took 2 years to go through the process of getting on disability. My moms was the only income and with the medical bills the savings quickly went away. The majority of all foreclosures in this country are from disability. The costs of meeting your deductable and paying 20% of a medical bill will eat up savings and investments rather quickly. The 2 years back pay from Social Security didn't make up the difference.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just sort of an aside but has anyone besides me noticed that when good folks fall on hard times, as sometimes happens, they are too proud, stubborn, hard headed or what ever to ask for help. Kills their soul to admit they have to have some help. They are the ones that sneak in the back door of the food bank and leave with their coat over their face holding just what they have to have to get by.

OTOH those who are cronic govt. cheese eaters are first in line talking on their cell phones and pushing a wheelbarow.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a big difference between "stupid" and possessing a skill that's not needed here(because the job was exported or left on a battlefield).

KC, I think you'd make a great welcoming committee for our vets that are going to come home in the next year or two just to find few jobs and possible assorted health problems. I've got no issue with draining the bathwater, but take the baby out first.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There are lazy people everywhere,not just in one particular geographic area. It is, however, easier to live without good shelter or fuel in some areas with warmer weather.

Being poor is frerquently not a matter of money. I know quite a few people who would quickly become poor again if you threw huge amounts of money at them. You could give them a check for a million dollars today and come back in two years to find them broke with nothing to show for the million they spent.

People from all walks of life fall on hard times. Some will pick themselves up, especially if they get a helping hand from someone else. Some will be arrogantly aggressively poor and adopt being a deserving victim as a lifestyle. Some wil be grateful for the help and some will resent the help and criticize the people who tried to help them because they did not give them enough.

It is very difficult and inaccurate to try to paint all causes of poverty with the same brush. That is the main reason it is impossible to eliminate poverty by simple measures such as throwing other peoples's money at it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
Poor people are poor because they are lazy and stupid. Equal opportunity does not guarantee equal outcome. I'm sick and tired of politicians and lots of other people ranting about helping the "under-priviledged". They made their bed so let them lie in it. I don't believe that they are poor because of their environment or because they had a bad start in a bad situatuon or because they have had bad luck. I make my own luck and I think that most people also make their "luck". That includes people who have not paid their dues, have not invested in their future and who have made one bad decision after another. We reap what we sew.

So I'm not interested in helping the "under-priviledged" or investing any tax dollars in any effort to improve their situation. I work and pay taxes and I deserve to reap the rewards of that effort. They are lazy and stupid and they derserve to reap the just rewards of their lack of effort.

Doesn't sound like you'd do very well with a bad luck streak...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You need to take innate intelligence into account. There are lots of folks who work hard, and have great character but are poor because they are performing at the limits of their intelligence. A guy with an IQ of 90 can work hiss azz off to the limit of his ability and still not get anywhere. What about him?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got hurt on the job in 2001. Doctors, a whole bunch of Doctors all said NO Work. WC insurance company said "We don't want to pay" and so they didn't. Fought the whole mess, all the time in chronic back and leg pain with spasms that would put me on my face on the ground, for five and a half years. Four and a half with no income. Thank God we had no debt going it to the mess and we came out with no debt but was hard.

So, am I a lazy piece of dodo because I got hurt and was prohibited from working?

BTW, I average around 60 hours a week now and still live in pain 24/7. Am I still lazy? confused

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by billhilly
You need to take innate intelligence into account. There are lots of folks who work hard, and have great character but are poor because they are performing at the limits of their intelligence. A guy with an IQ of 90 can work hiss azz off to the limit of his ability and still not get anywhere. What about him?
It's not intelligence. You raise a kid with an 80 IQ to understand self-discipline (save at least 10% of what comes in as conservative investment capital, and don't spend more than you have after the bills are paid), and he will do just fine if he has a good work ethic. People aren't taught to save anymore.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's not intelligence. You raise a kid with an 80 IQ to understand self-discipline (save at least 10% of what comes in as conservative investment capital, and don't spend more than you have after the bills are paid), and he will do just fine if he has a good work ethic. People aren't taught to save anymore.

How many of these people do you know Hawk? I�ve got a bunch in the low level positions who are great people but how much are they supposed to be able to save when it takes everything they are capable of making to eat and pay the rent?

You can�t judge these people according to your own experience because they simply can�t think like that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes it's just having the balls to take a chance.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe if you pay into the system, no matter how small, you should reap the benefits, but if you are one of the welfare folks that are pumping out kids, "YA GET NOTHIN" Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
there is a huge difference between people who are dealing with what might be called "situational" poverty....caused by external events, and those who are mired in generational, cultural poverty.

very few people begrudge a helping hand to the first group, but most Americans are heartily sick of the second.

and it isn't racial, its cultural. Blacks who adopt middle class values move out of poverty, whites who adopt the "values" of the underclass sink into poverty.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, and some of them like to live that way.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Lots of good points made in this thread, hopefully we have been blessed with the wisdom and compassion to recognize the better points and ignore the others. Poverty is only one step away for anyone. Financial security normally comes after taking many steps down a long difficult road. Often we are assisted by others on that journey. Inturn we are indebted to assist others who are attempting to achieve financial security.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes I wonder who the "stupid" people really are. 'Us' that spend our lives working or 'Them' that don't.

Unfortunately, my parents only offered the 'Morality' choice so off to work I go...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

If you're going to save, you better find something besides cash to store your assets away in,...and the alternatives are getting fewer by the day.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A lot of good comments here. I'll keep mine short. I don't have a problem helping those who can't, but I DAMN sure have a problem helping those who WON'T!!!!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,001 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,284
Posts18,525,668
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.