Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Here's the deal. This spring I'll be returning to the Wilmore Wilderness in Alberta for some hiking and camping. This area is in the Rockies,above Jasper. I wrangled and guided for a Bighorn sheep hunting outfit up there about five years ago, and returned last year for a weekend hike. It was awesome, but it did raise a few issue's. My pack was junk, and the hike in to our camping spot is 7 0r 8 miles, with some steep trail,several stream and river crossing,and enough food and supplies in the pack for 3 days. This year I must have a better pack, and was thinking maybe a packframe is the way to go. We'll probably go for 4 days this year on the first trip, hopefully again later in the year. Also, may be able to do an elk/sheep hunt in there in the next few years, so that's something I need to consider as well.
Also, I need new boots. Last year I used the same boots I used for sheep hunting, a 10" pair of Cabela's Outfitter Series with 200g insulation. They were great, and lasted through last years trip,but are now finally worn out. I'm not looking for the most expensive stuff around,just good value for the dollar. Also, being in Alberta, I don't have the wide variety of stores to go to and try stuff out, so will probably order from Cabela's again. So, what advice do you guys have for me? Anxious to get some pointers so I can get shopping.

Last edited by xxclaro; 02/01/09.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. xxclaro;
You have put in a tall order if I understand you correctly, that is you have a budget of $300 for both the pack and boots?

While I have not examined this pack, an outfit called Great Outdoors Depot sells a pack with what they term as an Enduroflex frame for about $90 that looks like my old Coleman frame that I have used to pack up to 75lbs. of meat in. http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/outdoor-products-saturn.html

I did replace the waist belt on mine with one that was about $50 many years ago, so that would eat up half your budget there.

Since you have already had some experience with packs, I believe I would look into a used one if possible as a place to save money. Sometimes very good packs can be found in the classifieds, etc. I like external frames and as they are not in vogue these days you might find one that will work for a reasonable cost.

There is also the classifieds here, but shipping from a US origin into Canada can be costly and a pain to say the least.

I can�t really say which boots I could recommend for that price range.

I�ve had a pair of Canadian made Prospectors which didn�t last at all for me. For many years after that I was using a pair of Danner Winter Lights which gave excellent service. About 2 months back I purchased a pair of the Meindl Canada Pro�s which are available in Alberta at Wholesale Sports, but they ran me $100 more than your total budget.

Many years back we went on a horse pack trip in the Wilmore and followed the Wild Hay River for a part of the way in. Where we were was quite wet, so I�d want very waterproof footwear if I was walking that country, but then you know that first hand as well.

I�m not sure I was much help, but good luck in your search for gear and good luck on your hiking trip as well.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Well, I've been reading through this forum, and it looks like I'll have to spend a bit more than I wanted too. I looked at the Mystery Ranch NICE frame and I really need one of those. Okay,say I do buy one,what kind of bag or pack do I need to put on it? The frame price is okay,but I'd rather not spend just as much on a bag as well.What do you guys use? As for boot's, I can get the same boots as last time for $140, and often they go on sale for $99, so I'm not too worried about that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. xxclaro;
If I knew how to do a quick link I would, but since I am apparently inept.. frown

Go to page 3 on this backpacking forum, go to the 3rd thread down entitled "Flatbed" and take a look at what Mr. KevinB out of Kamloops did for a bag.

I believe that could well be the way I end up going with my next pack, that is find a frame I like with a meat sling and then set it up like the photos.

Anyway, hopefully that is some use to you.

Good luck with it either way.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like your on the right track. If you want to do a MR nice frame just get the load sling for it and strap a dry bag with your gear in it. That will keep you on track with your budget. Later on if you want to add a bag you have tons of choices. Once you have the funds I would look real hard at the Nice 6500 bag. even if you wanted to add just a bit more space (1500 ci) with the load sling you could get a set of nice pockets and day pack lid and be good to go.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B2

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Original post edited to delete $300 budget,not gonna happen apparently. BC30cal,couldn't find the post you mentioned.Is Flatbed the title?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
xxclaro heres the thread BC is talking about -----> https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2665396/page/3#Post2665396

Also I am in the same boat you are and I am going to be picking up a new pack. After much research and advice I am going with the MR NICE 6500.

Last edited by norcalblacktail; 02/01/09.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been backpacking for fifty years. Yes that's right, fifty years. And I've owned a dozen or more packs and watched many others being used. I started with a wooden pack frame with an attached canvas pack. Then went to nylon packs with aluminum external frames. I've also used transition frame packs, with a flexible external frame. But all that is old technology. I know that it seems counter-intuitive, but I know from lots of personal experience that a pack frame is not the best way to pack out meat or quarters. A pack frame cannot be made to balance properly so you are always leaning forward. A modern internal frame pack beats any old external frame pack or pack frame hands down. They are much more comfortable and once you get some practice using the adjustments, it gets even easier.

I own an expedition internal frame pack that is almost twenty years old. It was my "go to" pack fo over 15 years. It's heavy duty and very durable, but it weighs almost 8#. Technology has improved drastically in the last ten years and now I can carry the same stuff that used to weigh 45# but now its' modern ultra light replacements weigh about 20#.

For pure ultra light backpacking I recommend the REI Cruise UL 60. It has a volume of 3,500 cu. in. and weighs 3# 3oz. It has the best volume:weight ratio of any pack on the market. But it's not designed for carrying heavy loads.

So when I'm hunting and therefore anticipating carrying out meat, I use an Osprey Exposure CM. It has a volume of 3,000 cu. in and weighs 3# 15oz. So it's a little heavier and a little smaller but it's heavy duty. It's actually an ice climbing pack and designed to carry 50# of climbing gear. It's large enough to hold an elk hind quarter and can be adjusted to carry that weight comfortably.

When I was a youth, I carried heavy, unbalanced loads and thought nothing of it. Maybe I'm getting old and whimping out or maybe I'm finally getting smarter. But I don't carry those awkward, unbalanced loads any longer.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW Mystery Ranch and Kifaru packs do not employ modern leading edge technology. The are designed around tech that is twenty years old, just like that old expedition pack that I have moth balled.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As for boots take your best shot. The "Montana" boot made by Vasque used to be the best hiking boots on the market. They were constructed of one piece of full grain, wet formed leather, had Norwegien welts, Vibram soles and a Gortex lining. The only seams were on the heel. But there's no demand for quality boots any more. Everyone wants flashey looking boots that look great but don't last very long and Vasque stopped making those boots.

The Cabelas "Outfitter" series of boots looks pretty good but the Danner Mountain Light II looks like about as close as you are going to get to that old world quality Vasque boot.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curious to hear more about this point. What kind of tech would you consider 20 years old? Which MR and Kifaru packs have you owned that used the old tech?

Last edited by kenaiking; 02/02/09.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only boots I've worn the last 20 years have been Danners. A hunting buddy got me a pair at the Air Force base where he was stationed. That next season was the first time I ever spent an elk season with dry feet. They were the best boots I ever had. Their replacements are good but not that good, same size nominally but just enough smaller that with a heavy sock I cut off circulation, so my feet stay warmer with thinner socks. Plenty fine for the country I hunt in.

Packs .. what I like for backpacking is different than what I hunt with. My backpacking pack is an old external frame Kelty, a Tioga II. About 4500 cubic inches. It'll handle 80 pounds better than I will. I can't imagine a fun hike with a bigger pack and I've often looked for one a little smaller, a little less tempting to overload a certain old goat (me) with.

For hunting I'm trying to use a Badlands 2200 . It's real quiet, but I haven't found a suitable handgun holster attachment method with it.

On a $300 budget, I'd look at a Cabela's "outfitter" frame and pack and maybe a pair of their store brand boots.

The Badlands pack I have was to replace a Cabela's "outfitter" frame. I've packed it quite a few miles. Only gripe I have with it is a slight tendency to squeak and for the slightly rougher nylon to scratch against stuff making a little more noise. It's fine for spot and stalk in open area, a little noisy for still hunting the heavy timber. IF I could get the handgun holster thing sorted out the Badlands pack would be IT for me for hunting.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
New tech packs? Need more detail especially if old tech boots are da' bomb.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
KC,

Modern tecnology and an REI pack is an oxymoron in my opinion.

MR and Kifaru are much more modern than anything REI produces.

As far as the statement "the REI Cruise UL 60. It has a volume of 3,500 cu. in. and weighs 3# 3oz. It has the best volume:weight ratio of any pack on the market" I say BS.

The ULA Catalyst is 4600 CI and weighs 47 oz.
http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm

My ULA Arctic Ultra pack carries 60 lbs. as good as anything I have ever used and weighs 43 oz.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ula_arctic_dry_pack.html

Here is a list of some of the packs I own or have owned:
Dana Designs Astralplane
Kifaru Long Hunter Guide
Granite Gear Flatbed
Osprey Argon 110
Osprey Crescent 85
Osprey Aether 75
Lowe Expedition

and those are just the big packs.

Glad you are happy with your REI, but don't compare it to a MR or Kifaru. Not here anyway.

Ed T

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Damn,nothing is ever as simple as it seems,huh? I'm kinda rethinking my approach at this point. I know what I would like to get if money wasn't an issue,but it is. So,perhaps I should first focus on a pack for the upcoming trip. We'll be doing this trip in the future numerous times hopefully,so maybe having a dedicated hiking pack would be good. Therefore, if the criteria is a pack for a 8 mile mountain hike,with 3-4 days of camping,50 lbs of gear should do, I figure. With this criteria in mind,how would you revise your recommendations? Sorry to be a PITA, but I can't ever buy something significant before doing my research and knowing why I'm buying what I'm buying,so please bear with me. Thanks!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
XX,
Anytime someone uses the word "best" to describe any piece of gear on earth, you know they do not know what they are talking about. It might be "best" for that person, but obviously, what is best for you might not be best for me. Listen to Ed T.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There are many good choices out there, it's finding the right one for you that is the tough part. Many of the best packs -- other than REI wink -- aren't available to try on in the flesh before buying.

Is the budget $300 for the pack or was that for pack and boots or doesn't it apply at all? If you are really on a budget and want to get something to tide you over, I've seen some smoking deals on packs in Craigslist. We get a lot of one weekend and done backpackers who clean out their closets from time to time. I found one of our scouts a super nice Gregory for $50 and have seen like new Lowe's for $25. I have no idea if that will work for you in Alberta but it's a thought.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
If you can afford it, a MR or Kifaru is a great way to go.

The Granite Gear Flatbed is my favorite for heavy loads.

If you are on a tighter budget look at the Osprey Crescents, either 85 or 110 liter. They were replaced this past year by the Argon series, so if you can find a Crescent you should get one at a good savings.

Like Chris said, check the used markets as well. Especially for the bigger packs. Often times climbers will buy an expedition sized pack for a single trip then sell it when its over.

Just remember taht boots and pack need to fit you well to be comfortable.

Ed T

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
kenaiking:

I borrowed and used a friend's Kifaru Long Hunter Standard just to get the real feel for the pack that everyone was talking about on the hunting forums. I was impressed because it is as good as the old expedition pack that I used for 15 years but eventually moth balled. Sure it's a well constructed pack and very durable and pretty adaptable for hunting. But it weighs 5# 15 oz. and has a capacity of 5,200 cu. in. It's made of Cordura Nylon or similar and that stuff is very strong but also heavy. Modern packs are made of ultra light rip stop nylon and weigh half as much.

I haven't used a Mystery Ranch G5000 but the literature that I have seen indicates that it's also a good pack by 1980's standards. Well built and very durable and well designed for hunting. But it has a capacity of 5,000 cu. in. and weighs 7# 7 oz.

I started my ultra light backpacking gear list with a weight goal for the three heaviest pieces (pack, tent & sleeping bag) at less than 10#. Actually those three pieces of gear that I now use, weigh less than 8#. That's about the same as the Mystery Ranch G5000 alone.

I would like to get a close look at the Kifaru Late Season pack. It has a capacity of 3,200 cu. in. and weighs 4#. That's about the same as the Osprey Exposure CM pack that I use for backpack hunting and hawling out elk quarters. If it's well built and designed for carry heavy loads then it just might be the ticket.

KC

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed T

I see that the Arctic Ultra Pack weighs 43 oz. and you can put a 50L bag on the frame. That's about 3,000 cu. in. But it looks like it's just a big bag strapped to a frame. I've used a similar system although a long time ago and much heavier. It was very inconvenient having just one big bag and no pockets. I'm not sure that I would define that system as a "backpack". It's more like a pack frame with an attached duffel bag. Tell us about the suspension system.

The REI pack is lightly constructed and probably wouldn't stand up to carrying heavy loads, so that's why I don't recommend it for hunting or carrying out elk quarters. But if you're looking for a pack to use just for pure ultra light backpacking, it's hard to beat the comination of volume/weight/convenience of that pack.

KC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.