-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Who out there likes the 25 WSSM besides me?

If you like it, why do you like it?

If you don't like it, why don't you like it? Only answer the "I don't like it" if you have actual hands on experience, speculators need not reply.

Whatever happened to Mia Sara's career after she played Sloane in FB'sDO? I mean other than her career as the wife and/or "significant other" of Sean Connery's and Jim Henson's sons?

Jeff

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My little M70 FWT is handy and accurate. It balances well and comes to the shoulder like a shotgun. Plus the ballistics are essentially the same as the 257AI. The only problem is cost and availability of ammo....solved for me by stocking up on brass.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My cousin has one and of course there is no problems after the bullet leave the gun. His is a A-bolt and it don't feed well even after being sent back to Browning. Everything else I don't like could be the gun/my opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hello, my name is marty and i collect cartridges. i saw your post about the 25 wssm, and was wondering if you might have an old case, or dummy round laying around that you might part with? i would love to add that round to the collection, and maybe a 260 rem if you have one?

please consider it and let me know eh?

thanks,

marty

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It does nothing the 25/06 does not already do! I guess if you just like the small action over the long action your set, but does it really make that much difference? No! The ammo is scarce and only makers are winchester. Its an almost dead wildcat round. I've got the 25/06 and love it and my buddy has the 25wssm and wished it would have followed me in the 25/06.

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one and like it alot, shoots under moa and is a perfect small rifle to pack around and it's the perfect size for young kids. Mine is a Browning A-bolt medallion. I have just started to reload for it but haven't shot any reloads yet. There is another web forum called the wssm zone, check it out if you haven't. I haven't had any issues with mine, feeds great, shoot great, and I have alot of brass for mine. I had bought a bunch of 120gr PEP Winchesters for $16.25 a box and a few for $19.99 a box,so ammo for me has been cheap.

Last edited by sako4me; 02/03/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a winchester stainless model 70 in 25 wssm. It honestly was one of the handiest deer rifles i've ever used. shot 5 deer, one hog and a bobcat with it. But I have decided I'm going back to using pre 64 featherweights. I sold the 25 wssm to get cash towards a new colt series 70 reissue. I'm shure some day i'll wish I had it back.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Who out there likes the 25 WSSM besides me?

If you like it, why do you like it?

If you don't like it, why don't you like it? Only answer the "I don't like it" if you have actual hands on experience, speculators need not reply.

Whatever happened to Mia Sara's career after she played Sloane in FB'sDO? I mean other than her career as the wife and/or "significant other" of Sean Connery's and Jim Henson's sons?

Jeff

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000214/

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't comment on the 25WSSM but I have a 223WSSM in the abolt medallion and it is a very handy little rifle. My son loves to shoot it. It shoots the 55gr Bts in .248 and is death to yotes. It really handles and points very well. HAPPY HUNTING

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have the Browning A-bolt 25WSSM in the Varmint Stalker, and like it a lot. The reasons I got it was the price of the gun, so many people hating it just to hate it, and I wanted a new gun for both deer hunting and long range prairie dogs. So far I have shot two deer and many prairie dogs with it. I didn�t have any 25 caliber guns when I bought, so it didn�t matter if the ballistics were similar to any other cartridge. I bought 500 empty brass when I got the gun, so there would be no problems with running out of brass. It did have some feeding issue with TSX bullets do to the flat nose of the hollow point, but I fixed this by filing the edge of the feed ramp to more of an angle. Now it feeds with no problems.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I played with the Browning A-Bolt for a while last year, but it wouldn't shoot less than two inch groups with any of the factory loads. I didn't get around to handloading for it.

I have since ran in to a few others that experienced the same problem. All but one sold their rifles. The one fellow found the problem to be the muzzle crown, and the rifle becam a much better shooter after being recrowned. Feeding issues - I never had a shell not feed, but it defineitely isn't the smoothest feeding cartridge around.

I'm in the process of building a 250 AI right now. Mostly because the cartridge has always intrigued me, and because I found a left handed donor rifle for the right price (an option that I will not be able to find for the WSSM).

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I don't own one, but being a certified quater bore nut I'm sure that sooner or later I will.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What "blind magazine" replacement stocks are available for the M70 WSSM? I understand that McMillan has them in EDGE/non-EDGE version, but that will cost as much money as the original rifle. FWT, Ultra and Super Shadow versions all have some sort of floor-plate trigger guard. If one wants lightest weight .25 as possible for the bucks (M70 format), a plate is a waste. With a McMillan EDGE added to a M70, one might as well buy a Kimber .257 off-the-shelf.

The "Tupperware" Ultra Shadow stock is not sturdy. I could save 6 to 8oz with a blind magazine, and maybe a stiffer stock, with a drop-in replacement.

It's about the rifle. If one reloads, WSSM is just another compact .25 case. Eight months ago, it was the best lightweight .25 price/performance option available.

Any statistics on how well stock CM M70 WSSM Ultra/Super barrels shoot?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 2 McM Compacts inletted for the Winchester/USRA 70 Ultimate Shadow barreled action, but I assume that McM would make them in a blind magazine if you wanted them inlet that way.

My 25 WSSMs are all Winchester/USRA 70s; 3 Coyotes, 3 Super Shadows, 7 Ultimate Shadows, and 2 rebarreled Super Shadows. I have only shot 5 of them and they shoot, at worst when untuned, 1.5 MOA groups with the Winchester/Olin factory ammo. The 75 grain VMax load that I have settled on for pdogs has shot consistant sub-MOA groups for over 800 rounds.

I have looked for, but never found, a Browning Ti in 25 WSSM priced low enough for me want to write a check.

If a light .257" bore mountain rifle is the goal, I'd agree that a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts would be a less expensive route to go.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't know, but my wood stocked M70 FWT puts 120gr Factory rounds into an inch or less.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

733 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.