Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
enbloc8 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I probably could have done a search on this topic but I thought I'd just post the question. Thanks.

E_8!

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Primer pockets loosen up fairly quickly, at least in .223.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Loading instructions from Compass Lake on my new barrel says not to use Federal brass because it is too soft and internal volume to small.
Larry

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's notoriously soft. As previously pointed out, primer pockets tend to enlarge quicker than other brands, and damage to rims and necks seem to be more prevalent. I use IMI, TZZ, or WCC military brass almost exclusively. I tried some Federal brass early on in my AR shooting history, and it wasn't as durable as the mil stuff, so now I stick with that. Maybe they've changed the formulation of their alloy, but judging by comments from other High Power shooters I don't think so.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently primed some once fired Federal brass. The primers seated so easily I could not believe it. I have to decide whether I can use the brass for a single loading for a carbine class I am attending, or whether to throw it away and forget about it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For a class that you're paying good money to attend, you might not want to use it. I had an acquaintance who used his once fired Federal brass in a HP match, and a couple of the spent primers actually fell out of the primer pockets and jammed up the trigger. Boy was he mad! Luckily it was a local match and not a regional or large match where he paid large dollars to attend.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I've had the federal brass lose primers on the 2nd reload and get in the bolt raceway so the bolt wouldn't close.

Junk brass, pitch it.

Spot

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
all are saying truth. IF you HAVE to use it, I've seen it done where they take 1 grain off a standard load, sometimes 1.5 grains and IF the pockets hold the primers, you will get ONE firing and maybe not loose a primer.

Ain't worth it. Its scrap. If you do otherwise you are on your own.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I had my Bushmaster jam on the range due to a loose primer. I was using factory Federal American Eagle and just practicing so no big deal but I've never had that happen with any other ammo...

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I probably will toss the brass to keep from getting tempted to use it. I don't need a primer falling out while I'm shooting, whether in a class or otherwise.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had that happen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I learned the hard way with Federal brass long ago, tried some 05 headstamp last year to see of they had changed anything, same results. It's junk and not worth the frustration or cost of wasted components.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The LC stamped stuff is still good as far as I know, simply because its made in LC factory to their spec, not to FC spec.

But if its FC brass, just toss it. I can clear out a primer fairly quickly with a punch and pop the trigger out, but better to not have the issue. I've done it too many times as line officer in big matches.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
enbloc8 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
thanks to all for your frank replies/advice.

that was what I was wanting...but not wanting to hear...LOL!

about 10 years ago I bought a copy paper box full of the stuff...once fired from the security unit of my local nuclear weapons production factory.

I was thinking about putting it into production but I dunno now. I am at least forewarned.... thanks again.

E_8!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I dont know if this helps but i have reloaded some federal cases and got to shoot them 3 times out of a 30 06. No primer problems but had to throw them out due to stress lines on them. One more reload with them and it could have been trouble.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
30-06 are a WHOLE different beast than 223, thats the point. I've used FC GMM in 308 and they work pretty good too.....
BTW if you are talking incipient case head seperation RE your "stress lines" then you need to learn how to set your size die, and that won't be an issue that quickly. ICHS is having the die set wrong and is exacerbated by an under size round fired in an oversize chamber the first time.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I am still new to the reloading scene but these strss lines run the length of the case. from the primer up to the neck. i only neck size because i am shooting out of a bolt action. they are loaded allmost to max according to the book. 61 g reloader 19. the primers are also really flat after shooting. I may be wrong but i dont know if i should shoot them again so i thought better safe than sorry. but i was reloading shells with the lee load all in 30 06. i just recently steped up to the turret press and actually havent loaded for my 06 with it yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was shooting service rifle at Ft. Benning the AMU boys were using it at 200 and 300, I think. It was not at all uncommon to pick a piece up with no primer in it, they were blowing left and right...I believe all gold medal match factory fodder.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Tommy

Need to see a picture... maybe a dirty die scratching the hulls, or a fluted chamber even? Lines the length of the case are not common.

Jeff

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I will try and get some pictures up here. been pretty busy with my sister inlaw giving birth. I would not say they go the full length of the case but they are pretty long and running that direction. I was starting to think there might be a pressure problem but i might be just blowing it out of porportion with my lack of experiance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (1badf350, 1234, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 49 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.