Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I read with interest the Down Range column in my newest rifle mag and was wondering about the topic of the Trip to Iwo Jima. I was curious till the end when Mike made a point of mentioning some quack who smacked him around on the net and the need he felt to justify his interest and writing on WWII rifles and such. I would like to offer my support to Mr V. for his writing and his articles on subjects that may not include the latest rifle or pistol from some big gun co's marketing dept. Like Ross, John B and even Brian P. a writer who brings a bit of his own personal interest to a story, weather he lived it or not, if well done makes for a good read.
It is however too bad that the rest of the issue is just not what I took the 3 wolf mags on for when I started my subscription years back. I am trying to find a reason to fill out the 45+ dollar check but may fall back to just handloader to keep up on a few of the things I like.
I did not think I would miss a few writers so much, but I do.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
few rifle magazines have been printed in witch i feel the need to read every article.
I have read extensivly about WW2 and have made a practice whenever posible to thank our vets for there service,
I find it interesting to read about there weapons.
It might be a great article, to interview a few old timers about there experiences with the different issue weapons.
One fact I am aware of is that when the marines hit Guadacanal in early 1942 , the were still using the 03 springfields witch they had been trained on and all marines are tought to love there rifles.
I would love to read the perspective of some of the guys when suddenly on the canal with there life on the line they had to switch over the the new fangeld automatic !
Why some guy would complain about an article he was not interested in, I can't imajine.
Just don't read it !
...tj3006

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've always liked Mike's writing, based on vast experience on his topics. That said, if he doesn't know about something, he says that, too. If he messes up, he'll tell you about it. Maybe the topics he covers doesn't interest y'all, but I've learned a lot, and I imagine others have or he still wouldn't be in business. Going to Iwo Jima shows his commitment to and interest in WWII arms, and respect for the men who carried them in to battle.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Dad joined the army ten days after the Japs hit Pearl. He enlisted in Bakersfield and did Basic right across from Twentynine Palms. He did all his training with the 1903A3. He shipped out from some Camp up near Fort Lewis and arrived in the Aleutian Islands where he was issued a new M1 Garand with cosmoline still in the barrel. He liked the new semi-auto, but he said the old bolt gun was more accurate and he personally preferred it. Lots of guys hunted up in Alaska with their service rifles. He said the ate moose and bear while up there. Some dude in his outfit has his wife ship his fishing rod and reel up to him and then they ate a lot of fish too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like anything and everything Mike V writes. I get Rifle and Handloader. IMO, those are the best mags. and Mike is the best writer.

Now, if he goes off on some subject I'm not interested in, I read it anyway, and I become interested.

Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Personal note: Mike V. is one of the good guys.

At a long range black powder class held at ThunderRanch, an ordinary joe's rifle failed. The guy scrimped and saved to attend this class and could not afford a back up.

Mike helped the guy out, when it was clear that a gunsmith was needed, Mike went back to his truck and loaned one of his personal (and very expensive guns) to the ordinary joe.

This story was related to me by an eye witness (who could afford to come back to ThunderRanch--where he shared the story with me.)

Mike's a gracious man and a class act.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bob,

I thought the same thing. I like Mike and he is a native hillbilly from near where I live but I wondered why the Iwo article is in a rifle magazine. I think Rifle blew it when JB left. Thanks...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks to all for the personal notes on the "Other" qualities that make Mike V a good guy. I dont doubt for one min. that it is all true and from his writing it sounds like on curse with the info he uses for his work.
I hope no one who read my post thought I was putting him or his story down.
I have come to enjoy his topics just like I grew to enjoy the other writes I mentioned, even thou I had no background in many of the guns they wrote about.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Iwo Jima is a great topic - rifles and war are bound together - the topic is appropriate for a Rifle magazine. Mike Venturino is one of my favorite writers, in addition to nice hunting rifles and shotguns I enjoy owning and shooting single actions and lever actions - Mike is the best of the bunch in old west gunwriting. Odessa

Ps As an aside while Iwo Jima is the topic; an old veteran in my church is a vet of Iwo and Chosin in Korea - he was awarded a Silver Star in both battles. He told me Sunday that he is going into the hospital soon to have shrapnel removed from his ankles. His name is Oscar and I will see him at the VFW dinner/meeting tonight - if anyone wants to send their regards PM me and I will pass it on to him.

Last edited by Odessa; 02/05/09.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tj3006
One fact I am aware of is that when the marines hit Guadacanal in early 1942 , the were still using the 03 springfields witch they had been trained on and all marines are tought to love there rifles.
I would love to read the perspective of some of the guys when suddenly on the canal with there life on the line they had to switch over the the new fangeld automatic !
...tj3006

According to one vet I used to know they loved it. Seems in close in jungle and night action the Japs had got into the habit of waiting for 5 '06 rounds to come their way and then charging.
Voila! M1 arrives, Japs try the same tactic and get 6, 7, and 8 in the belly!

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My late father was a Gunnery Sergeant with the 1st Marine Davison and landed there on the first day. He said they all had the '03 and when the Army's Americal Division came they brought the Garands. My father preferred the '03. I have three of each.

Thanks...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Model 70 Man:

I have a late uncle that was in the first wave to land on Guadacanal. There is no way to know, but I wonder if he and your father might have known each other.

I was very interested in what it was like, but he wouldn't talk about it very much.

I enjoyed Mike V.s article on Iwo. I have often wondered what is on those islands now, islands like Guadacanal, Iwo and some of the other islands the Marines landed on.

Mike said there was a lot of unexploded ordinance. I wish he could have taken some pictures. I wonder if there is a museum on the island.

I have always thought I would like to visit some of those islands and go prowling with a metal detecter.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

My father was in G Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division. At the Marine Corps Museum near Quantico there are several pictures in front of the Guadalcanal display. One of them has my dad in it.

Most of those Marines are gone now. My dad 1n 1986 but my mother continued to go to their annual reunions but she too passed last year. I keep in touch with one of the Marines still living.

I wish I knew more also. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the "Old Breed". Thanks...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My uncle's wife is still living. I will try to find out what outfit he was in.

I do know that he was wounded on Guadalcanal, and was sent to New Zealand to recuperate. If I am not mistaken, he stayed in a hospital for about 9 months.

I wish he would have talked more about it.

I have another uncle who was one of the first to go into either Dachu or Buchanwald, I don't remember which, but I think it was the first camp the Americans went into.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I to enjoy reading Mike V's. articles. My grandfather was wounded at Okinawa 1n 1945. He carried the Browning BAR. I just acquire a M1 garand circa 1959. Mike had done a great article on reloading the M1 that was big help to me. I posted this website earlier but will post here again it is a WWII traing film done at fort Benning Ga. Hope those of you who view will enjoy it.
http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_the_M1_Rifle

358win
hon discharge USN

Last edited by 358win; 02/05/09.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm more a shortgunner than rifleman and really like mike in American Handgunner.One of the first deer i ever saw killed was taken down by an '03 springfield carried by one of those Marines Cholly Mac as he was called told me"Tojo didn't care for Mr.AughtSix neither boy,but the wine and cheese of Paris was almost worth the trip." He never spoke of what he saw but you could sense it was pretty rough.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Like Ross, John B. and even Brian P., a writer who brings a bit of his own personal interest to a story whether he lived it or not, if well done, makes for a good read.
It is, however, too bad that the rest of the issue is just not what I took the 3 Wolfe mags on for when I started my subscription years back. I am trying to find a reason to fill out the 45+ dollar check, but may fall back to just HandLoader to keep up on a few of the things I like.
I did not think I would miss a few writers so much, but I do.

I miss Finn Agaard, also.

I fully agree with the sentiments expressed here. I thought the last issue (March, 2009) of Rifle had an unusual tone to it. In addition to Mike Venturino's, Ron Spomer's article was also very unusual. I had just learned that John was no longer with Wolfe, and have to wonder if CHANGE might be at play. I had thought that John's absence from Rifle and HandLoader was due to his obligations at Successful Hunter. Guess that wasn't the case. If you're reading this, John, I suppose that I should apologize for my (belated) congratulatory e-mail. I'll pick up a copy of GUNS and see what you're doing.

I guess time will tell if Wolfe's magazines are taking on a new personality. I hope that Gantanya and Phil Shoemaker will still be contributing.

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I recently let my subscription lapse to the Wolfe trio, but when I was a subscriber I always read Mike's stuff. I must admit I had an interest in only about 20% of his subject matter, but I always liked his writing, nonetheless. I especially don't care for BPCR competition (nothing against it, just not my cup of tea), but good gun writing is good gun writing.

JV

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob, if you don't call Mike Venturino "Duke", he won't acknowledge you. laugh

Sam......

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that Mike V is one of the better writers out there. He writes well, is knowledgable and seems like a very down to earth guy.

It just so happens he writes about shooting topics that I am not very interested in. That's my choice. I actually read the Iwo Jima article, as I read extensively about WWII growing up and it was interesting to me.

Now the article on the 38WCF, I couldn't get through. I just can't get excited about 4" groups, from an underpowered cartridge, and old rifles. That's my personal preference.

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,009
Posts18,500,140
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.