Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
JB-I'm not through with it yet,but I've made a definite improvement. It's on a new #1 in 9.3x74R. I go by "feel" and don't use a gauge, so I can only say it is a work in progress.As your article says" The big trick,as in any trigger work,is avoiding making the pull too light." I wouldn't have attempted it without your step by step guide & photos. This is my first Ruger #1 and together we got high hopes ! Thanks again Mule Deer ! Bob K.

" If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble,you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Like JohnT I've gotten inconsistent reading with my Stoney Point O.A.L. gauge. It may be my calipers, or how this knucklehead is using his calipers.

At this point, I'm just trying to average out things. To be safe, I'm keeping the O.A.L. out in hunting cartridge lengths. I'm not really interested in getting really close to the lands.

All that being said, I've shoot some spooky small groups (Well under a half an inch) out of a 6.5 x 55mm Model 70 featherweight with a stock barrel using loads I made with my Stoney Point OAL gauge. I did polish the barrel with Final Finish bullets, and I floated the barrel using Mr. Barsness' prop method. The rifle also a Timney trigger.

I really like my Stoney Point Gauge. It was a bit of money, but it works well. The OAL gauge has got to be easier than sooting the bullets to find the lands.

J
JLM Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing I didn't mention in the column is that after establishing an accurate seating depth for one bullet, it's relatively easy to seat another bullet so that the ogive is the same approximate distance from the lands.

As an example I'll use a .30 caliber bullet. After establishing a good seating depth with one bullet, the same approximate ogive-to-lands distance can be obtained by setting a standard steel caliper to .304", then using this setting to inscribe a circumferential line on the seated bullet in front of the case mouth.

The distance from the case mouth to this inscribed line can then be duplicated relatively easily on bullets with slightly differening ogives. Just inscribe a circumferential .304" line around the ogive of the second bullet, then seat this bullet so that the line is the same distance from the case mouth as the line on the original bullet.

In fact, this is the method I use when testing lots of different bullets in one cartridge. It is very easy to establish the same approximate ogive-to-lands distance with several different bullets using this method.

John, my friend is trying to get going on some Berger's in his .243. Where would you scribe the line? .240? I found some bore/groove numbers on Dan Lilja's website and that LOOKS right to me.

Anyone have a chart of various bore/groove diameters for different calibers?

Thank you sir!

If I scribe a .308 to .300 its a nice match to my Hornady comparator body...i'm not sure if it means anything other than it's a....nice match....and I can't eyeball that small anyway :P

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,060 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,417
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.