Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S

This is the BC Government's latest, greatest idea.
I think they will be creating a whole new crop of poachers.

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:45:21 -0800

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

2009ENV0106-001715

Ministry of Environment

Effective January 12th 2009:

Due to conservation concerns for the following species and sub-species of grouse, the British Columbia Ministry of Environment, Fish and Wildlife Branch, will initiate a Trial Program in the Fall of 2009 involving the requirement of Hunting License Holders to purchase grouse tags for all species of grouse legally hunted in BC.

Species of Concern:

BLUE GROUSE
(Dendragapus obscurus)

SOOTY GROUSE
(Dendragapus fuliginosus)

DUSKY GROUSE
(Tetrao Obscurus, Say.)

SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, Linn.
[Tympanuchus phasianellus.]

British Columbians have an important global responsibility to ensure the continued existence of these valuable game birds.
The road to recovery of BC�s populations,however,is not easy.We need to implement
realistic approaches that address the current relationship between Blue grouse, it's sub-species, sharp-tailed grouse and land use practices.This in turn must be incorporated into long term plans and activities geared towards conservation and recovery at the landscape level.To achieve this requires the co-operative efforts of provincial governments, ranchers,First Nations and the range management community.Together,we must develop and implement ecologically and economically
sustainable range management practices that incorporate the needs of this and other grass-
land species regardless of political and demographic boundaries.

Due to the impracticality of requiring tags for strictly the species at risk, the MOE has determined that tags will be required for all species, and the funds collected will go directly to research programs, controlled burns in areas where indicated, and subsidies to Grazing Lease holders to improve food and cover for species at risk.

Preliminary Bag Limits will be as follows:

(Subject to change at any time. it is your responsibility to check for updates on the MOE website. ANY CHANGES TO THESE FEES AND BAG LIMITS will be posted to http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ )

Ruffed Grouse: No seasonal bag limit. Regular Daily and Possession Limits apply.

Spruce (Franklins): No seasonal bag limit. Regular Daily and Possession Limits apply.

Blue Grouse (Sub-Species Sooty and Dusky Grouse): 12 per Calendar Year.

Sharp-Tailed Grouse: 6 per Calendar Year

Tag Fees will be as follows:

Ruffed and Spruce grouse: $1.25 per tag.

Blue grouse (all species): $1.85 per tag.

Sharp-Tailed grouse: $2.15 per tag.

All prices subject to GST.

All proceeds to go to the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund: Grouse Enhancement Project.

Tags will be self-adhesive stickers, which must be affixed to one of the legs of the bird immediately on retrieval.
It is an offense to remove the tag until you are at your normal dwelling place (this will be extended to include hunt camps for this application), meat cutter, or taxidermist.

Tags will be available sometime this August 2009 at all normal retailers of hunting licenses and tags.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ridiculous!

And the Victoria based bone-heads says they are concerned about - but can't put their finger on why B.C. is having fewer and fewer people hunting every year?

Go figure - eh?

Idiots!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
BC brian hit it head on, no wonder there are less and less hunters.what a joke....and in some area's natives are pulverizing sheep and moose populations, but the law abiding bc resident has to buy a grouse tag??

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Next thing they'll want you to buy tags for fish, and use banded minnows for bait. mad

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So how does this work? On a past trip to BC, when the moose hunting was slow, we shot a few grouse. We're coming back in the fall of 2009, so do we buy a handful of various tags in case we shoot a grouse? It will cost more to administer this than the tags cost.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sniper Would it be ok if I just sent you the money for next years grouse season. Please send me 200 ruffed and 300 spruce grouse tags, the cash is being mailed as I type this. Please stand next to your mailbox and wait for said moneys. THANKS!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm looking forward to grouse tags. It will be fun attaching hem to the little grousies. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
sniper 58: I made some enquiries within the Ministry and am informed this is a hoax.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be sure to stock up.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If it's not - this Province will have upped the number of law-breakers exponentially.

Not that I'm big into breaking laws. But what hunter, 100miles from nowhere, is going to turn down the chance to pot a few Blues for the evening meal - 'cause they don't have a "grouse tag" - seriously!

I sure hope it IS a hoax!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Brian i hope too this is a HOAX and we ll not get this very "clever" idea here too ...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by stocker
sniper 58: I made some enquiries within the Ministry and am informed this is a hoax.

I sure hope you're right.
If it's true, I'm just wondering where they're spending the "Habitat Conservation Fund" money that we're already being charged.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Yes, this was all a hoax started last month on a Western Canadian hunting site.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw a sample of the gourse tags over the weekend. Little stickies that you wrap around thier leg. Looks lieka fun thing to put on the birdies, kids will love them!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I mostly use a 20 ga. myself. And LOTS of ammunition....

If you build a fire and eat them on the spot, do you still need a tag?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Aren't grouse those silly things that you ground-shoot with a .22 along the road and then eat for dinner?

Seems like more Canadian PC silliness.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Aren't grouse those silly things that you ground-shoot with a .22 along the road and then eat for dinner?

Seems like more Canadian PC silliness.

Steve

As opposed to USA PC silliness? It was a hoax.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For all those who shout "ridiculous" - We have had tags for sharptail grouse in Saskatchewan for a few years now. The problem was almost exclusively non-residents spending a month or more here, shooting a limit of grouse every day. Some people just got greedy. The population couldn't handle that much hunting pressure. Now visiting hunters have to tag each sharptail shot. There is a certain number of tags issued along with their non-resident bird stamp. Maybe because residents were not affected by the rule, the new tag requirement didn't seem so "ridiculous" to me. Since the new rule, grouse numbers in accessible areas have improved noticeably and season dates have been extended.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you are all missing the real significants and that is it
is another way to raise money. But I guess they just don't know the story of the goose with the golden eggs. Somebody hit the nail on
the head (B C Brian I think) less hunters, less money how else can we get more money says the Gov't. lets put tags on grouse.
Just my two cents. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Sask. introduced tags for Hungarian Partdige and Sharptails 3 or 4 years ago. The tags are for non resident Canadians and non reidents not for Sask residents. There had developed a serious problem with many outsiders shooting very large numbers of birds everyday but staying below the season possession limits by means of eating birds evry day for a two week or longer stay. Some groups are known to have killed nearly 100 birds per man for a six man crew. Now they get 24 hun tags and 12 sharptail tags with their liscense. The tags are to be affixed as soon as the bird is in hand. If the hunters stay with Sask firiends they can eat a few meals and still take 36 birds home. It seems a reasonable solution.

Murf
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (3dtestify, 44mc, 1badf350, 280ACKIMP, 3333vl, 17 invisible), 14,242 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,337
Posts18,546,264
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.