Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Really, it's not even close.

I grabbed another set of the Yosemites, and another set of Minox recently.

The Leupold is lighter, considerably, and has MUCH longer eye relief (in fact, my wife can use them with the eye cups extended with her glasses on).

Other than that, the Minox simply trumps in every category. More stable, much brighter, far more clear, much more crisp, greater detail, much flatter image, far more depth of focus.

I know the Yosemites are half the price of the Minox, but for less than $200 for the Minox, you really ought to upgrade.

Nothing wrong with the Yosemites as far as a truck, or loaner, or kid pair, but the Yosemites are far enough behind the Minox to render anything other than a cursory glance and price comparison moot.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have one of each,my 6 year old son loves the Yosemites because they are light and small enough for him to use.

Optically the Minox are much better to me,a better choice for adults for most hunting situations.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yea, but do they come in red............

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yeah, there is that.................... wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mine are the same color,kind of rose pink,my daughter digs it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have them both. Preferred the Yosemites until pimped up my Minox. Couldnt stand them because the adjustments were too slick. Had to be very careful about not grabbing them near the adjustments, because they would easily move, causing the binoculars to be out of adjustment. I glued some heavy duty gasket rubber around the eye pieces, now it stays stationary, and I can roll down th rubber if adjustment is necessary (which it never is.) Now I love the Minox, and really like the Yosemites.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Understand these are very popular with The Pink Pistols crazy

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sean,

Are you SURE those Leupolds were "properly" focused?

GE

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, the Minox does produce a sharper image. I don't even have to stack them to see that. Yes, they are more stable. Thanks to their heavier weight, 25 ozs. w/ covers and strap.
I did not find their depths of focus much different.
I wouldn't say one was much brighter than the other, but the Minox does have a brighter image.
The Leupold has a touch more ability to look through cover. Probably due to their objectives being wider.
The Leupold can be focused right down to 11 ft. The Minox about 45-50 ft. But to get the Minox down to the minimum focusing distance, I need to focus them at 25 yds or so. That means if I want a clear image of anything much over 50 yds., I must refocus them. The Leuupold is much faster to go from 11 ft to infinity, thanks to it's center focus design.
The Leupold lays flatter on the chest and carrys much nicer, thanks to it's 19 oz. weight w/ covers and strap. The Minox tends to roll around and stick out.
That very long eye relief of the Leupold means the lenses don't fog on the outside readily when the temperatures are down at zero or below. Something that's nice to have when it's really cold.
The Minox's eye cups do a great job of keeping side light from spoiling the image. Very nice to have when glassing with the sun low. The Leupold, on the other hand, has a problenm with this.
Call it any way you want. I find both very useful. I prefer the Yosemite when I'm traveling really light, but insist on some sort of binocular. They were good enough to show me a very large bull elk over 2 miles out before the sun was up.
I find the Minox ideal for things like tracking unless I need to focus down to 25 yds to see tracks in the snow and heavy cover. I find them very easy on the eyes. Thanks to their very deep depth of focus, I can look at stuff all day from 90 yds to infinity and not refocus them once. Big difference between them and say my 25 oz. Nikon LX 8X32. While the little LX is sharper, and I don't need to stack them to see this, the difference isn't practical until I get out to the 1000-1500 yd. ranges where the 8X has an edge.
I like both and would not be w/o either. Each has it's strenths and weaknesses. It's simply a matter of understanding these things and picking the right one for the job at hand. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 02/08/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 64 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.