Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Can I get some advice on a couple topics. I am primarily a bow hunter but also use slug gun as no rifles allowed in my state. I have a 30-30 but I know it is not enough for elk.

So, looking for a new 30 06 or .308 for upcoming elk hunt this fall. Elk is more than likely the largest game I would take with it, as I am not a bear hunter, but lesser game hunts hopefully to follow i.e.: Mulie and pronghorn. I do shoot a lot at the range so this will be a shooter for fun as well.

I like the '06' as ammo is everywhere, been around for a long time and many different choices of payload. More than likely this will be my only rifle of it's kind for a while so trying to get bang for my buck. Also looked at the 300 win mag. but might be to expensive to shoot. Any advice as to caliber and model. . Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well buy a 30-06, as for make, I would look at a Ruger Hawkeye first, a good no BS hunting rifle. And it comes with one of the best scope mounts going. The 300 Winne is going to cost more to shoot, and there will be a lot more recoil too, so shooting accurately will take a good bit of practice. Then I would look at Tikka, CZ's are good too, and well then there is the Remington 700. Lots of those around and you could get one off the used rack in 30-06 for not to much money. As for scopes, go with either a fixed 4x or 6x. The one thing about the 30-06 and 308 for that matter is that they are two of the most popular cartridges going and there is ammo every where and in every price range too.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You have the right idea in thinking .30-06 or .308. Realistically, neither will do what the other cannot. Some may think otherwise, but if yo are also looking for a rifle to run alot of rounds through at the range, the .308 may be a little better choice due to slightly less recoil. A .300 Mag is not necessary for what you are speaking of and would probably wear on you during a long day at the range.

Good rifles to look at would be the Savage or Stevens series. Great shooters and a great value. Savages have always been known for their out of the box accuracy and their popularity in some rings affords them a good aftermarket base for parts and accessories.

The new Marlin rifles are getting great reviews as good shooters for sometimes less money than the Savage and Stevens models.

Don't overlook one of the Weatherby Vanguards at $400 dollars. Built on the Howa actions, they are good dependable and accurate rifles that very few people have complaints with.

Alot of people will also mention Tikka and possibly the new Sako A7. I have never handled either of these rifles so maybe another member will comment on them.

I highly recommend you also keep your eye on the used gun racks locally. Besides the usual Remingtons, Rugers, and Winchesters, available at good prices, you can occasionally find some gems that may hold more appeal (I recently found a Mexican Mauser in .308 at my local range for $350 out the door for example).

Above all, I recommend that you go to a shop and handle several rifles and see what feels good to you. The more you handle, the more you will have an idea of what you are looking for.

As a last note, more elk and even moose have fallen to the .30-30 than most will give credit--a little food for thought.

Good luck finding your new rifle and have fun.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
30-06 is a good round and very tolerable to shoot where most guts I chat with dont like 300 Win Mags because of recoil issues and the few that I have shot will pound you like a jack hammer as I have a 338 win mag that is much more pleasant to shoot than the 300 WMs Ive shot,with the 30-06 the ammo and rifles are readily available and youll have no problem getting set up.......

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Guys,

I am looking to stay in the $3-450 range without the scope. More to the $300 for a used gun. Willing to spend $150-200 on a scope. I think the Tikka, Sako and a new CZ might be out of price range. Found a ANIB CZ 550 Premium (looks new) for $475 in 30 06. I tossed in the 300 winmag as a possible but as been pointed out expensive to shoot so Yes it is out.

Speaking of Marlin what about the new 308 express? I do like levers and actually thought about the 336 in 35rem. but the outfitter talked me out of it as ranges could be from 100 to 350 yds. He said he would hate to see me pass on a good animal because it was out there a bit. 308 express is nonly in the leverlution so that can get expensive to shoot a lot.by the way I firmly believe in the 30-30, love that rifle but also been told not for open terrain elk to 250+ yds.

Like the .308 win as it is also popular like the 06 and just as cheap to shoot with less recoil. But have read and been told that the 06 can give more thump.

IC B2

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Our local Wal-Mart has the Weatherby Vanguard with synthetic como stock for 395.00. This is a red tag price but if your local Wal Mart carries guns it would be worth checking.

I have never bought a rifle at Wal Mart and don't know how they would handle problems if any but that seems like a good price.

Last edited by RNF; 02/08/09.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
M
OP Offline
M
Yea, well I am in the wonderful state of confusion called the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts" No wallie world here sells guns anymore .. Dicks is the closest. Guns here are usually a bit higher in cost here and at gun shops. That is where I saw the CZ. I do like tha vanguard and the Howa. Held them both. I would buy that vanguard right now if I had one close. Been on Gunbroker and auctions arms looking also

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I asked this same question a few years back and my friend pointed me to a Savage 308. It was sound advice....not a bad choice at all. The Savages are inexpensive, shoot well out of the box, the 308 is very manageable, and ammo is everywhere. I personally find the recoil of a 30-06 much less manageable then on the 308.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Savage rifles are like a friendly dog, they may not have the greatest pedigree and looks, but they're loyal and you quickly grow fond of them.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
OP Offline
M
Which Savage models do you suggest?

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Here ya go. Obviously the prices they list are manufacturers suggested retail. You can find them much cheaper at the store level.

Cheap and Ugly

Cheap and Ugly II

Of course .30-06 models are on the same price level and if you look around, you should be able to find one of these at the $300 level used.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
For the price a new Savage is hard to beat, and the "package"

http://www.savagearms.com/110gxp3.htm

will work fine without having to buy any extras.

The CZ's are fine rifles. At times you can find a "Mark X" Mauser type rifle on the used racks. If the price is low, they are good starters. The factory trigger is the worst feature (on some).

There is a wider range of factory ammo in 30-06, not too many 220gn factory .308 loads. If you can't do it with a 30-06, it may not need to be done :-)
Other than big bears of course, then you need a .450 Alaskan ( at least I want one :-)

Dino in Reno

Dino in Reno
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can purchase a Savage Stevens 30-06 for around 320.00 on Gun Broker plus shipping plus having a FFL transfer ususlly 25 - 30 dollars here'

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122436514

another at 280.00 with one day to go

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122143349

Last edited by RNF; 02/08/09.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
weatherby is still selling their vanguard for 399.00 all over america. look at walmart or try their web site for locations. great rifle that will do everything you need. get one in 30-06 (the round by which all others are judged), find a good 180gr load that is accurate in your individual rifle, and hunt anything you like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep - vanguard, or a used ADL..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks to all,

Has been all great info. Just shot over Dicks and found a Savage 111 FCXP in 30 06 for $399. Comes with simmons 3x9 scope, which is not the greatest but should do for a newbie like me. Gun feels nice and pretty light. I do like the box magazine so at the end of the day you can drop it out instead of cycling the rounds out. I take it from all your advice these are good out of the box accurate shooters? Did not purchase yet as they have 5 in stock and I doubt here in MA they will be flying off the shelf. I want to handle a few of the other suggestions before I purchase. Like the weatherby and the Ruger. Can't find the $399 weatherby locally but I will keep looking. Thanks again, so glad I joined the forum

The 111 FCXP3 does not have the accu trigger, is that a big deal?

Last edited by MAhunter; 02/08/09.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
+1 to a Vanguard, Howa 1500 or used M-700 ADL for under $400.00.
In fact, I can point you to a nice, used BDL in .30-06 for $399.00 right now.

Last edited by Lee24; 02/08/09.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The accutrigger is a great improvement, but Savages were shooting great before it came along.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
See if you can locate a Marlin XL-7. I is chambered for .3006 and is very reasonably priced. The reports I have been hearing on them are all very complimentary.

Last edited by CrimsonTide; 02/08/09.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MA, my buddy had very similar requirements and bought the new, nicer Savage... I can't remember the model number, but it's the one with a nice walnut stock, glossy bluing, improved barrel nut etc. Darn nice rife.

When I was putting together a "one rifle" for my brother, I went with what I knew- a Remington M700 in 30-06. I got him the cheapest model, since discontinued; the equivelant now would be the SPS. And a Leupold VX-1 2x7 scope. I ended up right around $600 for the rifle, scope, and mounts. And it's a good shooter, holding under 1.5 MOA out of the box with factory ammo.

Weatherby's are too heavy for me.

Lots of rifle options; that's the hard part. You won't be going wrong with a 30-06 though.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,711
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.