Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hello,

Tomorrow, my local gunshop has its customer appreciation day.. You can order ammo at cost on that day only. I was going to order a case of standard velocity.

Which brand or type of ammo have you been impressed with?

Thanks for the help,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Tough question--and my first answer is "it depends." I shoot about 4 varieties of standard velocity in my rimfires--from RWS R50 to Remington Subsonics. I shoot more Eley Club Extra than anything else, because my two target rifles prefer it. The RWS is brought out only for serious match shoots or when I need to verify that my rifle is not the problem (but the shooter is).

For just plinking at cans, maybe some informal paper punching, I think the Federal bulk stuff like you get at Wal Mart (if you can find it) will do just fine, and most rifles will digest it without any significant problems.

If you are doing or plan to do some serious or semi-serious target work, it is hard to answer because some rifles are really picky, and what works in one gun won't necessarily shoot well in another.

And, keep on supporting that local shop--sounds like they have "the right stuff"

Good luck, and I hope I helped.

Last edited by dustoffer; 02/09/09.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I try to support my local gun shop. He is new shop owner. he is trying drum up some business with his appreciation day.

I was thinking about ordering CCI standard velocity. They run about $20 a brick. I am looking for some loads that are of decent quality not necessarily match grade expensive loads.

Are the CCI loads decent?

Thanks Again,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check out the price of Wolf Match Target long rifle ammo... it is standard velocity "target" ammo that is usually VERY accurate in most rifles and it's cost shouldn't be more than about $3.50 to $4.00 a box wholesale.

If you don't need THAT accurate a round or you don't wanna spend that much per box, it depends on what your rifle(s) "like". Hopefully, you'll know what brand/type of ammo that is.

If you're gonna use it for plinking as well as hunting (rabbits, squirrels and varmints), buy hollow-points. If you're not going to hunt with it, buy solid points.

However, all rifles are VERY individualistic and what shoots like gangbusters in your rifle might not shoot worth a "hoot" in my rifle... and visa-versa.

I've test fired 29 different brands/types of .22 ammo in my CZ453 "varmint" (it has a factory-installed single set trigger and "heavy" barrel) which is a very accurate rifle... and it "likes" Wolf Match Target, Federal 711B, CCI Mini-Mag hollow-points, Fiocchi M320 Match ammo, Federal Classic High-Velocity HP's, CCI Select (1200 fps), Fiocchi Maxac and Super-X Hi-Velocity HP.

I didn't even try Eley Tenex which is traditionally VERY accurate ammo... it's just 'way too expensive for my kind of informal target shooting.

All of the above shot well under an inch in my CZ453 @ 50 yards... with Wolf Match Target being the most accurate and shooting 5-shot groups of less than 3/10ths of an inch @ 50 yards off the benchrest.

Next "best" (aka "most accurate") was the Federal 711B with many 5-shot groups under a half inch @ 50 yards with the rifle set up on a heavy aluminum Lyman rifle rest with a sandbag on the rifle rest under the forearm and 3 sandbags under the toe of the stock... a very solid set-up. The 4-12x by 40mm scope with A/O was set on 12x and the parallax was adjusted "out" using the Adjustable Objective turret.

I didn't weigh the ammo... nor did I separate the ammo according to rim-thickness. Those "accuracy tricks" comes next after I have my gunsmith glass-bed the receiver, pillar bed the action and re-float the heavy barrel !!! I'm also moving my 6-24x by 50mm A/O scope off my heavy barreled Sako varmint rifle in .222 and onto my CZ453 in .22 rimfire.

After all, you can't shoot better than you can see... ! Good luck... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I shoot American Eagle Hollowpoints (400 round brick) beacuse they shoot so well in my rifles.

Federal Bulk Packs shoots well too.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had good luck with CCI Std. Vel. loads.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
C
C
Hi Guys...

for my purposes, Federal Champion 525 round bulk packs do quite well.

I'm a shooter... not a hunter, and I mostly use the .22's for practice at combat distances of 7-10 yards.

My old .22 trail gun can totally chew out the center spot on the target, and I've found that after a few hundred rounds with that to warm up with, my 9mm groups are much improved (at a fraction of the cost otherwise).

The fed. champions work best with <MY> pistol.. your mileage may vary, but as a sidenote, if you're looking for a totally wicked little .22, try out the CCI QUIK-SHOK (!)

See ya at the range!

COW_54

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Federal 510's or CCI Blazers, you can get a case, 5000 rounds, pretty cheep. I hate to even say this cuz I really do try to be all about local small business but I get Fed 510's for 1.47 at WallMart. I buy all they have when they have them.

But then again Im broke so I need deals..........

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really love the standard velocity stuff. It's what I shoot unless I'm being exact, then I shoot match.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
0I'm cheap and have no problems admitting it grin

I shoot American Eagles and the federal Bulk packs. More than accurate enough out of my rifle, and if I'm shooting it out of a pistol it really doesnt matter how it shoots grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot a lot of CCI standard velocity HP's out of my Weatherby MK XX11. It shoots 5 shots in one ragged hole at 30 yards. Eley shoot a little better, but 5 in one hole is good enough.
Virgil B.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
First I find out which ammo my gun likes then I just watch the sales and you can buy about any 22 ammo for a whlse price...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1lessdog, 1234, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 37 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,856
Posts18,517,676
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.