Print Thread
Hop To
Page 128 of 1,842 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh i hear you loud & clear with the unexpected mishaps on trips.

lets take a look back a few years here... a certain young lady will be very upset with these pictures, but I�m a dad, it's my job right? grin

BWCA 2005

my oldest 2, wow they�ve changed in 4 years.

[Linked Image]

snake river
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

weezy waiting for gramps cooking breakfast.
[Linked Image]

weezy loves this picture. what makes a person make this face?
[Linked Image]

oh yes, a broken toe. Don't listen to dad & grandpa when they say "take those rediculous flip flops off your feet, they are no good on the wet slippery rocks."
[Linked Image]

yeah that was an interesting trip. She was a tough little trooper though, not much you can do for a broken toe, me & dad weren't about to tell her it was broken until the trip was over & we were back out of the BWCA. "no, no, no, that's not broken... trust me." grin

As long as I'm showing pics from our 2005 trip I better show a funny picture of myself too make it all fair.

My dad caught this turtle while hook & line fishing with a big bobber & a dead smelt for northerns. He was able to haul him to the waters edge with the line & I got down in the water & pulled him up by his tail. The turtle was not impressed.
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/DSC00561_0010.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/DSC00562_0011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/DSC00563_0012.jpg[/img]

This last picture was taken a split second after I learned that snappers are very fast, they have long necks & they can reach over the top of there back if you are tapping the center of there shell with your hand. He almost got me.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/poorturtleb.jpg[/img]

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The B-dub, elk hunting, and deer camp...I don't see a better way to spend your vacation time Dave. You are blessed that your family wants to do that stuff with you. Mrstzone wants nothing to do with a canoe trip. I'm trying to get her to come on a fishing trip to canada.

A few more years and the little buggers will be big enough for that fun stuff. Then mama will have to shop alone, which I'm sure she hates. smile

Those big old snappers are neat. Last year durring turkey hunting, I took my daughter with me. There was a huge snapping turtle similar to the one you have in you pics. Well this big old dude was crossing a tractor road into a swamp, so I grabbed a stick and was bugging him a bit, then WHACK!!! He hit that stick with force, and snapped it. A finger wouldn't have a chance.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My neighbor would be having turtle soup for dinner if he got hold of that turtle. Turtle was considered a delicacy by my fathers generation.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep, guy I used to work with used to eat those suckers too. Then he'd keep the guts and parts in a 5-gallon pail, in the back of his truck to get all nasty and stinky, then use it for bait.

Off that was a smell you just can't describe with words. sick

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have heard old timers say that there are five kinds of meat in a turtle.I'm not sure what they meant by that.We used to catch them on trot lines and carry them live to a little old lady that lived wayyyyyyy out and she would make turtle soup.I had trepidations the first time I tenatively tried it.It was delicious with a fish stew kind of taste.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was about 6 years old or so, maybe 5, and we were at the lake. I was walking down the shore and came upon a bunch of baby snapping turtles. they were about the size of a silver dollar. I took some advice from my cousin (note to self, never take advice from a cousin), which was that they were so small they couldnt snap yet. So about a millisecond after I stuck my foot next to this weee litte itsy bitsy turtle I was attempting to hotfoot it down the shoreline with said turtle attached to one of my smaller toes, bawling the whole way. I havent thought about that in a long time. I think I will cuff that cousin upside the noggin' the next time I see him just for good measure cuz of that episode.

Last edited by Berettaman; 02/11/09.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
grin

I am picturing a kid running down the shore with a turtle stuck to his toes....grin

I've been in trouble more than once for laughing at somebody when they got hurt. Sorry, but it's funny. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey man, laugh away, that is why i posted it. I can even laugh at it now. Not then, but now I can. I was running like I had a scuba fin on that foot. Might just as well cuff the cousin twice just for good measure, now that I think about it.

This was a year or two after we were camping at this spot and it was also a cow pasture. Mom brought me 2 pairs of shoes. 2 minutes out of the truck and I had stepped in a cowpie. 2 minutes after i changed shoes i stepped in another. Dad said, well, guess you are going barefoot. 2 minutes later I learned to avoid those round piles of warm goo.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We were camping at the lake when I was a kid and some guys caught a snapper and made soup out of it. It was awesome! If I remember right it was like a creamy vegetable beef soup with barley in it and the turtle was cubed up in chunks about the size of dice. I've always wanted to make it but personally I can't see the sense in killing a 100 year old + turtle just so I can have soup. I know nobody in my family would even try it if they knew what it was.

Another turtle story from a guy here at work goes like this: They caught a snapper on a fishing trip and decided to make soup out of it. So they take a clothes hanger and get it to latch on to it, proceed to pull its neck out and chop it off with a machette. The mouth still had a death grip on the clothes hanger and they hung the head and neck from a tree branch. This guy swears that up to 5 days later, when you would walk by that hanging turtle head, the eyes would follow you as you passed. He might be smoking crack but that would be c.r.e.e.p.y if true! shocked

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
I have heard old timers say that there are five kinds of meat in a turtle.I'm not sure what they meant by that.We used to catch them on trot lines and carry them live to a little old lady that lived wayyyyyyy out and she would make turtle soup.I had trepidations the first time I tenatively tried it.It was delicious with a fish stew kind of taste.
Stan

Stan - By all accounts I have heard, snappers do have four or five different kinds of meat. I read that some is tough and some is fatty like dark turkey meat.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC

Stan

Stan, Can't say I've ever of 5 different flavors, but the neighbor used to say that the different parts tasted like chicken, pork and beef.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Years ago I was duck hunting with a friend on the back waters of the Wisconsin River. We were paddling up a shallow slough when Frank bails out of the canoe and heads to shore. He reaches down in the grass and pulls out about a 20 Lb snapper. He yells back at me "Mom is sure going to be thrilled to get this" then proceeds to head back to the canoe. I told him in no uncertain terms that there was no way he was putting a live snapper in the canoe with us. He apparently agreed and took it back to shore and shot it. He then returned to the canoe with the snapper. Even though he had shot it in the head the darn thing was still moving it's legs the entire way back to the car.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shore do luv reading snapper stories!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Kinda like choping the head off a northern and the #$*@#ing thing still bites you. smile

G
G
Just found this forum yesterday and joined today. Between yesterday afternoon and now I have managed to read MOST ALL of this thread.

Northern Dave, all I can say is AWESOME! Probably one if not the best thread of any forum I have had the pleasure of reading.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks & welcome to the campfire forums Georgiatrout.

I�m glad it�s a good read, it certainly is a long one.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool Georgiatrout, 1st post and it's on dave's thread.

Welcome to the forum. I have read this thing in its entirety several time. It is still cool each time.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Welcome GT! Don't be a stranger

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Georgiatrout,I am a former Georgia resident.Where are you located in South Georgia?

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Day Light in the swamp boys! Everyone sleep in today?

Page 128 of 1,842 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (22250rem, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,398
Posts18,488,906
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.