-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
My A5 arrived today.I Have a williams bottom metal for it that is the same diamention as the factory BDL.
When I put the BDL into the stock the inlet does not line up with the outside of the floorplate.
Is this common with the inlets on the mcmillan stocks ?
are they normally perfect ?
Need to know your experiences
Thanks jason

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jason, call Matt at Williams and he'll explain. Most fit related problems are a direct result of the shadow line that McMillan incorporates around the perimeter. Does your stock have the shadow line? I know it makes Matt want to pull his hair out! Notice that no other Remington stock, factory or aftermarket, has the shadow line.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My stuff lines up super tight - but I'm refering to the first Sako 85 they've ever done so this one might not be the typical case.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Study the below pictures of factory BDL and Williams BDL and you'll see the problems that the shadow line causes. It's mainly due to the pin hinge being recessed in the Williams (as it should be) and the resulting slightly different shape of the door. Notice how the shadow line prevents the door from completely closing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/10Shadow.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/11Shadow.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/12Shadow.jpg[/img]

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nice bunch of pics Bxroads. Thanks for taking the time.

IC B2

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by bxroads
Jason, call Matt at Williams and he'll explain. Most fit related problems are a direct result of the shadow line that McMillan incorporates around the perimeter. Does your stock have the shadow line? I know it makes Matt want to pull his hair out! Notice that no other Remington stock, factory or aftermarket, has the shadow line.

Thanks for the reply
Yes it has the shadow line ,when I ordered the bottom metal from williams I requested it for a mcmillan stock in the options section.They indicate that letting them know what stock manufacture it is for ensures a better and closer fit.
How did you get around this problem yourself? and what next step would you recommend I take?
Thanks again Jason

J
OP Offline
J
Do you think that if I selected the option of the factory BDL composite instead of the Mcmillan in the Brand of stock that I have , would I have a closer fit?
Jason

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

It would seem that you'd get the same issue if you put the williams on a regular remy stock ?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
JasonShore,

The williams floorplate for Remingtons is not the same dimension as the factory BDL floorplate. The Williams is far superior and held to much greater tolerances. There are different "relief cuts" for the Rem and Williams floorplates that we inlet. If you ordered your stock with a Rem BDL floorplate, it will not look right/fit putting a Williams in it instead and vice versa.

You can see in the pictures above that the Williams has a extended/straddle hatch that extends just past the front of the trigger bow. The Remington does not. The Williams inlet here at McMillan has a larger relief cut at the rear so the williams floorplate will close and accomodate this. Unfortunatley i do not have a picture of a Williams inlet to show you.

The BDL relief cut or shadow line is there because over the years we have found, depending on where they place the pin on the hatch, they come with different tolerances/gaps. Sometimes .040" differences between floorplates, just depending on where the pin is placed. So we've made the "relief cuts" a little in front, behind and along the sides to all Rem BDL floorplate inlets, so no matter where the pin is placed, it will drop into our stocks and sit flush with the stock.

Hope that cleared any confusion up, sorry i posted so late, been kind of busy here. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1234, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,418
Posts18,528,245
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.