Hop To
Page 129 of 1,842 1 2 127 128 129 130 131 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm up.

watchin the boys ride snowmobile out in the yard. round & round they go.

There will be activity at camp chickenbuck this weekend, possibly some wood cutting.

that's about all i know though.

Something clever here.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When my kids were small we had a AC Kitty Kat. They and their cousins would ride that thing around my folks yard all day long. Best baby sitter there was.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
my buddy Tom has one he says he's gonna borrow to our little guy. I think it just needs a throttle cable or something. Until then his big brother is very good to give the little guy rides on that old 86 trail i brought home.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Your little guy would love the Kitty Kat Dave. The one we had would run all day on less than a 1/2 gallon of gas.

My dad and brother sold snomobiles. They had SnoJet, Rupp and Wheel Horse. All long gone. At one time there were over 200 snomobile mfg's. I can only come up with 4 now.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yep, I know all about it Bill, having worked for one of the companies that survived it all (polaris) and also growing up in the 70's in MN I had the pleasure of seeing many of the manufacturers that have long since dropped out of production. i sure like seeing those old sleds restored.

i know where i can get hold of a Herters" brand sled in excellent condition for probably 200 bucks. very neat old sled but just one of the very many that were unique & now long gone.

Something clever here.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In the late 50's or early 60's a Polaris rep stoped by my dads gas station with one of their new sleds and tried to talk my dad into becoming a dealer. How crude it was compared to todays sleds.

Be neat if you could pick up that old Herters and get it going. A true classic.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh but it is going, pull the rope, hop on & go. nothing wrong with it.

She's a sweetheart.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grew up riding a 69-70 scorpion. Grampa gave it to me, he had bought it new. Old single cyl he had bored out. Looked like a train locomotive. Same sled my mom and her brothers rode for hours on end.

Swish

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
my buddy had a scorpion whip.

i always figured they were ahead of there time.

neat sleds

how you been Swish?

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Twenty years ago I rode a Scorpion Whip from Silver Bay through Babbit and on to Ely - and back. To this day I walk with my knees spread a little and my kiester is slightly numb. And my thumb hurts. And I can't hear so good.

Brutal.

Craig

Wood is Good.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hee-Hee!!

My buddy had his in these past 10-15 years. I remember standing out on the ice with my dad on lake of the woods watching tip ups & we hear this noise coming, dad looks up & says "what the hell do you suppose that is?" I looked & said "Well, that's Brad Hughes on the Scorpion whip!"

My dad "you've got to be kidding me."

Me, "nope, here he comes."

That was brad's ice rig for many years.

it was in perfect condition, his was sparkly blue. I mean really sparkly, big metal flake in the paint, huge!!

silver bay to ely & back? you're a crazy man!!

laugh

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was new to the North Country. Sled belonged to my dear old Uncle Gary, I trusted him. Bastard.

The herd had the Whip, an old 340 Ski Doo Everest, and some newer Polaris machines WITH AN HONEST TO GOD SUSPENSION. Come to think of it, I think there was a Skiroule in there too.

We ate supper at the Legion in Babbit and honest to God, I didn't think I could bring myself to get back on. Hurts to think about it. No smiley. No.

Craig

Wood is Good.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
HEY YOU GUYS!!! Sloth and Chunk from The Goonies says darn u guys I've been looking at sleds on craigslist now its late... Can't believe there are sleds around here too, now thinkin about trying to get one before next winter.. Ha it will never fly with the wife we don't get enough snow anymore. Even found a Polaris 95 model 500SKS in Kansas City area for like 1250 bucks with only 850 miles.. Send me some real Snow next year Dave!!! cry

Just stopping in to say hey keep the stories rolling, kids and I are busy preparing to hunt the white hord either this weekend or next. Wabster who is tuckered out and Thankful tomorrow is Friday out.. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been good Dave, faithful reader smile

Long post cause you all jogged my memory.

the 69 scorpion looked like this.
[Linked Image]

without the white paint. drove the hell out of it then the track blew. couldnt find another track so I got a 71skidoo elan with a good track and made motor mounts for the scorpion motor. looked like this.

[Linked Image]

Killed that motor out looking for a christmas tree.It got dark and I was out in the ore dumps. Ran out of gas so I poured two bottles of Heat in the tank. Kept heet because the snow comming around you always iced up the carb. dumped heat on it to free it up.

She ran faster than ever once I got on the road, then stopped hard. I slid about 100 feet in silence.

Last sled I had was a snow jet with no seat, wide track and a 440. A whole new world!!

looked like this, only much worse and a twin cylinder.
[Linked Image]

Kid I knew was giving me a ride on it and the throttle stuck. we flew down the street, across mainstreet, through a yard and he choked it just before it hit a rock pile.

He wouldnt get back on it, I bought it for $20.00, poured some heat on the carb to get the ice off and drove it home.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now you did it wabo, got me wanting and looking...
look at this, bet she goes like hell even at 29 years old
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/1032381671.html

Remembering The 99
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ah, old snow machines. Here in Reno in '70-'72 (last year of H.S. and untill I went into the A.F.) Rupp was well known (local connection), Ski-doo, Arctic Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, and Scorpion were the common sleds. A.M.F., Sno-Jet and a tractor maker (Massey-Ferguson) kind of filled out the field.
Cats did not do well in deep powder, Rupps were pricey, Doos were popular, and I liked Scorpion for the very light weight (as I recall less than 300 lbs). What I could afford was a '69 Ski-doo Nordic 371 with an 18" wide track. A bit heavy, but the wide track worked well in powder. The most fun I got to ride was a 775 TNT. It could put your tilt light on. %~)
All this was at 6,000 ft and up.

Dino in Reno

Dino in Reno
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive got a 70-71 nordic outside in pieces smile and your right, hard for two guys to get it into a pickup its so heavy. But it has a cigarette lighter in the dash!!

Remembering The 99
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
the scorpion my buddy had was much newer than that, Pam's dad still has an old sno jet out in the barn that looks like new (under all the bird crap) we'd like to buy that one from him.

I remember the old elan i used to ride, turn the skis all the way & she'd still just go straight ahead grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been thinking about getting some for my yard monsters as well. It s amazing the deals you can find.

I havent been on one in 20 years since I shattered my right arm and wrist after I hit a telephone pole when the steering linkage broke. 9 months 3 surgeries and no desire to play again. Until recently (thanks guys).

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe

Kid I knew was giving me a ride on it and the throttle stuck. we flew down the street, across mainstreet, through a yard and he choked it just before it hit a rock pile.

He wouldnt get back on it, I bought it for $20.00, poured some heat on the carb to get the ice off and drove it home.

That is a funny story.

We used to have a Skido Silver Bullet. I don't remember what year or even the motor size. I was never allowed to ride it. Pa said it was too fast. It went about 60. grin

Almost anything goes 60 now in a hurry. I still tease him about it. He was so proud that thing went 60mph. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Page 129 of 1,842 1 2 127 128 129 130 131 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.